1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pio 575 vs Sam 745 into a PJ TX100

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PJTX100, Apr 4, 2005.

?
  1. 15m?!!! All you'll get is snow mate!

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. The Sammy will blow the Pio away!

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. The Pio will come through on the rails!

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Been very happy with the Pio 575 via component into my TX100 - the images are excellent and very detailed.

But, the lure of an unused DVI socket and all that upscaling mularky has proved too much, hence a Sammy HD745 is now waiting to be hooked up to my PJ.

A 15m Lindy DVI-D cable should arrive tomorrow.

I'll report back my findings... but I'd be interested to hear what you think will be the result... please vote!

...PJ :)

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Well, got the DVI cable today and hooked it all up.

First thing to say about the Sammy is how great it looks. And what a feature list! It almost seems too good to be true for the price.

Came without a UK plug - strange?

Was not multi region but the hack worked perfectly.

Tried component first. Not bad at all, nice clear pic, strong colours, the hack allowed upscaling and I found the highest res looked best - 1080i I think. 576 looked OK too, strangely 720 looked too soft.

Anyway, held my breath and switched to DVI. Firstly, it synced no problem, nice clear pic - the 15m Lindy DVI cable seems to work a treat! :thumbsup:

The picture is definitely clearer and smoother than component on the 745. The different res's didn't seem to make a vast diffence so I stuck with 1280x720p which is the native res of the PJ.

Sound is stunning, possibly even better than the Pio. But is the picture better? Well, I swapped back the components to confirm my thoughts... and yes, I can definitely say that on my setup the Pio 575 via component is slightly clearer, sharper, and more detailed than the Sammy via DVI!

I'd say that the Pio is like watching a TV, whereas the Sammy is more like watching a film in the cinema. The Sammy is smoother on panning shots, the colours are excellent, but for sheer detail it just falls short of the 575 which looks almost 3D.

They are both extremely strong machines, and I'm gonna keep both. Which I use will depend if I want raw clarity or silken smoothness.

One other comment about the Sammy - it has a definite problem with the sub channel with SACD's - basically it doesn't work. DVD-A is OK, but SACD isn't. Hence the Pio will also remain on SACD duties.

Basically these are both great players fo the price...PJ :thumbsup:

3. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Great reading until the bit about SACDs . Just ordered a Sammy 945 and SACDs are a big thing for me. The sub better bloody work! :mad:

Reckon they could fix this by firmware ?

Ray :confused:

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I dunno if the 945 suffers a similar SACD subwoofer prob to the 745 - it may well not - but either way it looks to be the type of thing a firmware update could fix - the test tone and DVD-A do fire up the sub, it's only SACD that doesn't do the business...PJ

5. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PJ

Try the Samsung in Component and upscaled and compare against the Pio.......

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I did. The Pio wins hands down, as my rather long winded post above indicates. The Samsung component is fine but it's not a patch on the DVI output. But the Pio's component is even more detailed than the Samsung DVI. I need to do a bit more testing but I think there's a couple of factors which are helping the Pio - firstly I have the detail (?) adjustment on the Pio set to Fine, secondly the Pio's BNR (block noise reduction) works wonders on my PJ - absolutely no loss of detail but is cleans up any artifacts immensely. If I turn both these off I suspect it will be on a par with the Sammy DVI but still noticably ahead of the Sammy's component pic.

...PJ

7. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Interesting on my Sharp LCD Component (1080i) and DVI (768p) are virtually indistinguishable. if anything the Component is slightly crisper, with the DVI having more natural looking in tones and textures.

Compared to a 575 I thought the image was significantly better......The 575 was viewed in a shop though on a sharp LCD but with the same media.

At home I have compared a denon 1910 and a Cambridge DVD79 back to back against the Sammy and there was little in it. DVI performance wasn't just quite as sharp but no macroblocking or jerky panning.

Maybe the display device makes a difference ?

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I'm sure the display device does make a big difference. I am surprised by the result I'm seeing, I thought the DVI would be more detailed but less natural, but it's the other way round vs the component on the Pio which is so clear and detailed but slightly artificial. Re-reading your post, it seems you are seeing the same thing comparing the Sammy DVI and Component. I was surprised how relatively poor the Sammy's component performed on my setup.
    I must stress both are very capable machines. I too had the CA DVD79 briefly but was unimpressed with component do swapped it for the 575, didn't get round to trying the DVI (didn't have a lead) - I've heard some issius with the DVD79 though - lip sync I think was one...PJ

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I forgot to add that is is indeed the Sharpness setting on the Pio 575 which (for me) is giving it the edge over the 745 - i have it set to Fine and it looks great - if set to Medium it's probably not quite as clear as the 745's DVI - if it's set to soft it comes down to the level of the 745's component output.

As I said, these machines are close.

If you have DVI/HDMI and don't mind the SACD bug then go for the 745.

If you plan on using component, and/or need SACD performance, go for the Pio 575...PJ

10. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    just goes to show analouge isnt dead just yet :) and looking at the price you can get a pio 575 for how can it be beaten. reading this im glad now i didnt have the worry of deciding over dvd player and went for HTPC upcaling and i recently borrowed a pio 868 and hooked it up to my pj and i found my HTPC the winner over that beast. not by a huge amount though

11. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sammy can be bought for the same price as the 575.