Pio 575 Jaggies/Flicker

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sy278, May 4, 2005.

1. sy278

sy278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi All,

I have been reading all the posts on this site about Jaggies from the Pio 575, but all appear to be connected by component, can anyone tell me does the problem also affect RGB and s-Video?

I am asking as my TV doesnt have component but has both the others, so if its only component that is affected it wouldn't stop me buying the machine but if the other are affected I think i'll need to wait and see what the 585 is like.

2. peckhamlad

peckhamlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do a search on 575 flicker
    The threads below & comments may help you

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179119

"don't mean to be a kill joy But I had similar issues.
    the 575 had superb colours but the sharpness(jaggies) was too much on some films eg starwars, but none on others eg i,robot. I was using a CRT (Loewe Vitros) RGB connection interlaced. It got on my nerves so much I swapped it for a S97"

3. sy278

sy278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks, I had read all of that and thats where i saw the jaggies/flicker issue, but no mention of anyone try s-video or RGB.

thanks anyway

4. nadil

nadil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried both and have the problem either way

5. bigmacx

bigmacx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I posted about this a while ago.

My thoughts about the 575.

Essentially I believe the progressive scan implementation to be of a very basic nature. I sold mine and bought a Panasonic S97, which although not perfect, does a much better job of supressing combing artifacts (jagged edges).

Here is a good explanation of what combing artifacts are (look at the animation of the apple).

If you're using a progressive display device (plasma, lcd, projector etc) and don't use the players inbuilt deinterlacing (either by disabling it or using s-video / RGB) and leave it up to the display device to perform then you may get results which are better/worse depending on its abilities.

Mac.

6. sy278

sy278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I would be using the Sony KV32FX60u TV (32" Widescreen), it has no progressive scan features but has 3 levels of 100Hz scanning, so if I switch off the prog scanning on the player would this cure the problem?

actually, can it be switched off?

7. bigmacx

bigmacx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Outside of digital connections, progressive scan is only available through component inputs. On the 575 you can disable progressive on the component outputs.

However, one/some of your TV's 100hz mode(s) may indeed be doing some internal processing to display a progressive frame from the standard interlaced feeds (svideo/rgb/composite/etc.) . Switching DVD players should not cause any more/less 'jaggies' than you already have, unless the sudden leap in picture quality causes them to be more obvious (which I think is unlikely).

Mac.

8. sy278

sy278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks,

I have emailed Richer Sounds to see if I can purchase the machine and return it if it does exhibit problems, I think they will be accomodating they are an excellent company to deal with.

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I've probably watched over 50 DVDs R1, R2 and R3 so far on the 575, projected onto an 83" screen. I've never seen anything which suggests other than this is a fantastic machine for the money. The detail is quite simple amazing, better than my Samsung 745 via DVI.

My brother has had half a dozen cheapish DVD players in the past and the 575 he bought "quite simply wipes the floor with them". The uses SCART onto a 33" Tosh TV.

For the money it's amazing value, and the fact you can buy it from richer and return it no hassle if not 100% happy makes it a bit of a no brainer in my book...PJ :thumbsup:

10. sy278

sy278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Cheers mate, you given me the confidence boost i needed to try this machine.