1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pio 565 PAL+NTSC progressive puzzle

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sparticus, Jan 3, 2005.

1. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi
    Hope some one techie can explain. Ive had a multi region pio 565 for a year or so. It has always seemed to produce a better piture on r2 dvds via rgb scart than r1. I have just bought a tosh 36zp46 and have connected the player via component cables. It still plays both r1 and r2 dvds via the component. Its pretty clear that the picture is better via compnent. I know the 565 is only ntsc progreesive. Why am I able to play ntsc and pal dvds via the components non interlace? I expected not to be able to watch r2 pal dvds.

2. allanp

allanp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Because you can still output non-progressive video via component connections. Seems silly for it not to output a pal picture via component just because it can't do pal progressive.

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Wasn't there a firmware on one of the pioneers that had ntsc progressive and interlace but no pal output at all. I seem to remember it was noted at the time and I think later versions had an updated firmware that sorted. Not sure it was this model though but if it was he obviously has the later firmware version. Maybe it was just an early review example.

4. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the replies. I guess you are suggesting that the 565 is outputting interlaced pal through the component outputs. This maybe true but in the dvd menu it has component out- 1.prog 2. interlace. If I switch to prog it switches off the scart output, and outputs via component, and vice versa. It suggests it is a progressive signal. Also im not sure the tv accepts interlaced signal through the component jacks. One other thing when i play ntsc dvds the picture is v.good but on pal dvds the picture is crisp but motion appears jerky as if frames are being dropped? This isnt a problem as i switch to rgb for r2 dvds and wasnt expecting the 565 to work with pal anyway. Its just an experiment to learn more really.