Pio 530 now or wait for Panny EH60??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stormjai, Jul 13, 2005.

1. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yet another newbie wanting to get into DVDR. Pio 530 at good prices now, but wonder what quality of recoerding and ease of use compared to Panny EH60 (EH50 available now). Does anyone have a release date for Panny? - reason I want that model is for iLink (for recording my shelf full of miniDV!)...or Tosh RDX64?? - though I heard Panny is more "user friendly" ie easier for wife to use!!

thanks for any comments

Jai

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    September. If you plan to record from Freeview then I would certainly advise waiting for the Panasonic - integrated digital tuners offer several advantages.

3. unguru

unguru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will the EH60 have HDMI output and for that matter does/will any DVD recorder have HDMI?
    Cheers

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    The new Pioneer DVR930 and Toshiba RDXS64 will definetly have HDMI outputs. Panasonic have not yet confirmed whether there top-of-the-range model will also have HDMI output - but it probably will.

5. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony RDR-HX1010 will have HDMI too.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Forgot about Sony - both the RDHXD910 and RDHXD1010 will have HDMI connections. Probably also see such HDMI connections on selected Philips and Samsung models as well...

7. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +636
    One issue to consider between the Pioneer 530 and Panny EH60 will be the price. You can currently get the 530 for £260 from LXDirect. The EH60 has a digital tuner, iLink and an extra 80Gb over the EH50 so I would guess then that the EH60 would be at least £100 more than the street price of the EH50 - which is about £280.

I have been very impressed with my Pioneer 530 so far. If you are going to record Freeview then a one box solution like the EH60 would give better PQ as it records the digital broadcast stream directly. However, for me neither solution will be as good as a dedicated twin tuner Freeview PVR such as the Thomson 4000 which is only about £160.

8. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have sky+, so really need recorder to back up titles, star trek etc to watch later. I also need the iLink, as I want to transfer from miniDV to dvd easily - is the Pio good for this? any issues with DVD-R/RW format changes??

Ta

9. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +636
    stormjai - I have Sky+ too and it works well with my Pioneer 530. I use the Sky+ copy facility to copy a number of programs to the HDD on the 530 overnight. This will appear as one very long recording on the Pioneer. I can then split / edit the recording on the HDD before copying the parts I want to DVD at high speed.

I have not tried the iLink yet but will do soon as I have DV camcorder tapes that I want to copy to DVD. What do you mean by "Any issues with DVD-R/RW format changes"? I have recorded onto DVD-R and DVD-RW with no problems.