pio 507xd vs sony bravia KDL-46W2000

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by babybearbarker, Dec 27, 2006.

1. babybearbarker

babybearbarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +420
    Alright, it's fightin time - can get them both for roughly the same price, now the big question is - do I sacrifice 4 inches (I know, steady) for 1080p over 50" and 1080i - does it really make that much difference or not? I am waiting delivery of my tosh HD-E1 this week which only plays 1080i anyway.

Any thoughts would be good - would be used as a mix of HD DVD over HDMI, XBox360 over component, SD over HDMI and PC input.

Me little brain is mashed.

Help !
    Tony

2. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,685
    In terms of PQ with both HD/SD (void of 1080p) the PIO wins over the Sony by light years.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The PC input might well mean neither is the least bit suited. Neither cope well with that. What content from PC?

4. babybearbarker

babybearbarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +420
    basically movies via avi etc and hd camcorder content at 1080i - was more concerned over standard tv nd standard dvd and hd dvd rather than pc tho 0- have seen the sony in action on 720p hdtv and it looks lovely but not sure how it handles other sources

5. nrm47

nrm47

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hijack but...

I'd be interested to hear any feedback or comments as well as I'm struggling to decide which one to buy this week:rolleyes:

Regards

6. smjxm09

smjxm09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    You need to take a close look at standard definition on the Sony and ask yourself can you live with its ropy picture? You then need to ask yourself can you live with a non 1080p Pioneer panel when in a year or two’s time 1080p will become more of the norm and you might be thinking to yourself that you only have semi HD?

7. babybearbarker

babybearbarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +420
    Thanks - it does seem quite hard to find somewhere that will show me the sony in standard def but will def check out both screens on standard def - as i assume that the xbox360 and HD DVD will look good on both anyway.

8. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    i have a 40w2000 and a panny 42px600 so im not botherd about this lcd /plasma slagging off but you need to have a look yourself.I prefer sharp more detailed pics to deep blacks.

the sony is very close in sd -sharper excellent blacks and better design but colour with sd is less good wrt panny

with HD the sony is better but only just for some reason the better the signal the better the colour.

on the major negative side many people have had problems with uneven backlight with the sony and my first set was bad the 46w200 is supposed to be worse. The pio is sensitive to image retension problems so PC could be a problem.

so i would go for the pio ( i know i have a panny but the pio is very similar)-4 inches bigger than 46 inch and sd pic will be better and no back light problems. better design and build-i do like the gloss black surround.

costco i think inc table top stand and speaker 3yr gaurantee and for 2300

azz

9. babybearbarker

babybearbarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +420
    thanks for this azz

10. clugal

clugal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had EXACTLY the same dilemma as you and I eventually bought a pio 507 a few weeks ago. What swung my decision away from a sony was the fact that much of what I watch is SD and the pio blew away sony on SD. And it won hands down re. smooth motion, natural looking tones and depth. (IMHO, obviously.) In HD, at least, the sony gave a great picture, crisp as a picture postcard, but even then it just didn't seem to have the natural depth and fluidity. It looked 2-D and static.

Plus, gaming aside, for all intents and purposes 1080p isn't really available at all anyway (no broadcast and very limited choice of dvd's) and won't be for some years. 720p does the job just fine. Tho' a lesser spec on paper, I don't think I'm missing anything. All games look excellently crispy and smooth. As for broadcasts, I am amazed at how many very famous people have bad skin conditions! Absolute resolution is clearly not the whole story.

My only major concern when buying the plasma was retention, but I have made a point of not leaving anything static on for any big amount of time - e.g. I change channels after a movie so the same channel logo isn't staying there, and I don't leave the PC or console output on screen after I've finished playing, etc; hardly major sacrifices - and I have had no problems whatsoever. Not even a hint. (Dead/stuck pixels was also a concern - but perhaps more so for the sony. In the event, I have none.)

On the pio, I get loads of hitherto unseen detail even with SD, provided it's a halfway decent broadcast or a dvd. Overall, it really, genuinely feels like I have my own little movie theater. Highly recommended.

(BTW my initial inclination was actually towards the sony - on principle: I have always had sony tellies and have always been very happy with them.)

11. smjxm09

smjxm09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    When Sony bought out the 40W with 1080p at below £2000 I thought yes this is it. After a trip to John Lewis who let you play with the TV settings I was disappointed with picture quality on many of the freeview channels. On the 46 inch Sony it was much worse. This left me thinking that a 40 inch Sony would be the size to get as a compromise between screen size verses SD picture quality.

I then paid a visit to a friend's house that had a 50-inch Panasonic. Even though we were sitting on top of the TV the SD picture was so much better than the 40 inch Sony. As I am not too keen on the looks of the Panny I have turned my attention to the Pioneer, which I think looks much better and is meant to have a better picture.

I think the big selling point for 2007 when PS3's, HD-DVD and Blue-Ray come into the UK market will be that a 1080p panel will be the panel of choice for many people. With Pioneer selling a 1080p panel at £5000 with no freeview or sound while you can pick up a Sony for around £1500 with 1080p Pioneer need to get their prices down fast before they loose market share as many people will buy on spec and price only.

12. babybearbarker

babybearbarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +420
    Clugal - many many thanks - this goes along exactly the same lines of thinking as myself ! I currently have a 43" pioneer and it's been amazing - the xbox 360 on 1080i looks stunning - the trailers downloaded the xbox live marketplace have wowed everyone (bioshock and half life 2 ep 2 for those wondering) - I think I will go for the 50" pioneer as you are right, it's going to be a while before true 1080p comes along at a decent price and we may have more idea how much better it may (or may not) look.

Thanks
    Tony

13. nrm47

nrm47

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some very helpful comments there. I've made a decision and i'm going for the pioneer as it will mainly be used with a 360, ps3 and sky (non hd) and I can't live with a sub-standard sd picture. Picking it up this afternoon :thumbsup:

14. franko3

franko3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Good choice with the Pio 507 - I've had mine up and running for a week now and even watched Eastenders on it !!
    The picture on sd through an NTL box is brilliant - even with the running in settings, and even from 5 feet and this is through a composite connection through a Sony all-in-one which I imagine is about the worst connection possible but I dont have many options until I upgrade other equipment (like talking the missus into a Tosh HD-DVD player).
    The last set we had was a Toshiba 32" picture frame crt set and the picture quality on that was superb, I was under the impression that a plasma wouldn't get close to it but have been proved very wrong.
    I can't wait to see what the picture is like when the run-in period is up and I can turn the contrast and brightness up a few notches - and this is before we start talking about a hi def feed from somewhere.:thumbsup:

15. babybearbarker

babybearbarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +420
    Thanks for this franko3 - what settings you have got it on in your run in period - in case I get one - and how long are you keeping it on these settings for - I never used a run in period on my last plasma and think that it may have caused a small screen issue with it.

16. fico99

fico99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You should have been able to compare both TV's with "The Pirates of the Carribean - The Curse of the Black Pearl" which was aired on BBC HD on 26/12 @ 19:30 via the Astra 2 satellite in FULL HD 1080i MPEG-4/H.264.

That movie, containing many dark scenes, was absolutely spectacular on my brandnew Pioneer PDP-427XA :cool:

I was also looking for a Sony KDL-40W2000 first, but changed my mind when I took my favourite DVD to the store and compared it with the Pioneer 7th generation. You will be immediately convinced that the Plasma TV is still much better for (dark) movies and SDTV.

I found that even BBC HD looked more natural on the Pioneer 7th generation Plasma TV.

To be honest, at a normal viewing distance from 2 to 3 meters, I really couldn't see the difference between HD Ready and FULL HD, and my eyes are still OK ;)

In the 46"-50" league, the choice is even easier, because the 50" Plasma TV has square pixels and a 42" Plasma TV rectangular pixels. This makes 42" Plasma TV's not so suitable for use with a PC connected to the VGA input. It doesn't really matter for DVD, TV of HD, because the videosignal will be scaled anyway but with a PC you drive the 50" Plasma dot-by-dot. I will connect my future MCE PC using HDMI @ 720p 50Hz.

The PDP-507XD is the most beautiful Plasma TV I have ever seen, I prefer it's design over the PDP-5000EX, but that's a personal opinion. If my living room would be a bit larger, I would have bought that one :D
    It is also not a secret that the "black levels" of the PDP-507XD ar even better than those of a PDP-5000EX. Also the protection against retention and burn-in has been improved over the 6th generation :clap:

Cheers,
    Fico99

17. babybearbarker

babybearbarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +420
    Thanks - this is really helpful to hear - the pioneer is certainly getting everyone's blood pounding and from what I have seen of both screens it is a much nicer, richer and steadier picture - I noticed a lot more motion blur on the sony - both the 46w and the w6x than on the 50" pioneer, which I would have expected to be worse. thanks for this. Guess what I am buying...

18. franko3

franko3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I can't check the settings at the moment as the missus is watching a movie and she'll cut my hands off if I fiddle with the remote:D but there are plenty of threads on this forum with reference to other peoples settings for running in, I just took an average of a few and went that way with the contrast maybe a little more than most to satisfy her indoors.
    I have watched a couple of footy matches on Sky sports and was a little worried about the score display as it is very bright and thought about turning the contrast/brightness down a bit but after watching a couple in a row and looking for any signs of retention I'm very glad to report nothing whatsoever.
    This was my primary concern along with the picture quality having never owned a plasma before and hearing others nightmares stories and can now relax in the knowledge that I've nothing to worry about at all.
    I purchased an Alphason Moderna stand which suits the plasma perfectly and the whole thing looks stunning - you cannot go wrong with this model. Buy one:thumbsup:

19. babybearbarker

babybearbarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +420
    Last thing I would want to be responsible for is the removal of hands by the wife ! Thanks for the advice !

20. franko3

franko3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I honestly think that there is not one absolute set of settings that would suit all as there are differing light levels in everyones viewing enviroment and what suits one could look awful in anothers room - go with the basic settings mentioned in quite a few threads as a starting point and tinker with them until you are happy with what you see.