Pio 436XDE or Hit PD7200 for sport?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by reddragon, Nov 7, 2005.

1. reddragon

reddragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pio 436XDE or Hit PD7200 for sport?

Before i part with my money i would like to ask which screen is the better for watching football and other sports. any help appreciated. :thumbsup:

2. Ibizaonice

Ibizaonice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Why don't you mention TH-42PV500 ?? Its da BEST !

3. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    *YAWN*

:D

4. acrmorris

acrmorris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go get a demo. Take a footy/fast action DVD and see for yourself! Not being funny, but for most people, £2k is serious bucks. At the end of the day, let your own eyes decide. :lesson:

5. reddragon

reddragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would but i read posts on here by PV500 owners complain of buzzing sound and other problems with the screen. Also cosmetically the other two are better. So i would assume the footy is fine on the PV500 then?

6. acrmorris

acrmorris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the pv500 and would highly recommend it. However, from an objective point of view, test first. (footy is great by the way - very CRT like in fact and as far as I'm concerned, I can't compliment the screen much more than that :D )

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You get problems with all plasmas if the bit rate is very low, the problem is not new, you just never noticed before. The most sure fire way to get around it is to get a panel and a scaler, this of course is also the most expensive. The best alternative is to buy one of the top 3. You could find people with problems on any particular plasma BTW, buzzing is common with the XDE, as are picture problems for some. Same with the 7200, I'm sure you could dig up an indignant customer or so. I do think there has been a kind of 'feeding frenzy' with the PV500, most of the noise is made by only 8-10 people out of a huge number who bought them. So I'd buy the one with the picture you like best, whichever that is.

8. NickHack

NickHack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a new XDE owner I thought I'd chip in and tell you the Man Utd Vs Chelsea game looked incredible yesterday. I was really impressed with my first plasma footie experience :thumbsup: But as everyone in the know on this forum will tell you its just something you've got to research for yourself fully before spending your big bucks

9. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I watched the same game on my 2 day old 43XDE and was also impressed for the most part. Did you not notice any problems when the camera pans quickly or follows the ball fast over long distances? Not something that I am crying about but definitley noticable. I still love it mind you........ :D

10. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Yep we had this discussion yesterday. Seems that it was rather poor broadcast quality - certainly other matches have been broadcast in much better quality - sweet jesus, roll on hd....

11. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I noticed it yes. I found switching to 100hz reduced the effect.

12. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Really? I'll give that a go. Thanks

13. Ziggy

Ziggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my 436xde last week and whilst watching football i discovered a dead pixel that just glows red all the time. It's really noticable and i'm not a happy bunny. I also think the quality of the picture whilst watching fast moving sport is poor. It seems the screen is trying to catch up when the cameras are following the ball or fast moving players.
    I like the picture on dvd, the sound is good for the standard side speakers, but overall for £2500 im disapointed and will be speaking to the suplier about the dead pixel.

14. Tainted

Tainted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dead pixels... I think it's almost criminal this dead pixel policy. Refine the manufacturing process not our pockets. Clothes that have defects are sold as rejects... there isn't a bad stiching policy!!

What other products do you have to except faults on.

Ziggy are there no programs that can perhaps try flick that pixel into a working state. I'm not sure of the success of such things. I know the PSP has something but some say it works and another say it doesn't. Some also say it creates a few!! I'm sure more panel epxerienced chap here caa flame that one down...

15. Ziggy

Ziggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my dead/stuck pixel just became two. There seems to be another one too. So thats three all together.
    I don't know much about them. Once they are stuck/dead, can they be unstuck/brought back to life ?
    The other two i've discovered are closer to the edge of the screen and tbh i can't notice them too much, i guess since i found one, i've been looking for more and found them.
    Anybody got any advice ?

Help please ?

16. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    Was it ******!!! :D

The ManU/Chelsea game was great quality, the panning was very smooth, and it was obviously a fairly high bitrate too.

17. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    What are your settings for Sky TV?

18. Dekim

Dekim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I watched the Chelsea / Man utd match at the squash club we were playing at on a 50" Philips and the quality to me was poor with a lot of pixalation/artifacts. The bloke next to me did state that he thought it wasn't set up right tho.

I also noticed juddering of the picture when the cameras panned along the pitch fast. Is this what to expect from plasma technology. Because if so If so I don't think I would be able to put up with that.

Deks

19. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    gizlaroc - no it was not you clown..

20. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Giz be fair......you were probably watching it through the Crystalio/SDI like me. The Crystalio/SKY SDI combo makes all of the Premiership/Champion's League footy look sweet.

But that particular broadcast was not their best (only 7/10 from me), I have seen many 10/10 games through the Crystalio.

Doc

21. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    Sorry! :rolleyes: :D

But when someone asks...............

And the answer is no for me, then it is obviously the way different processors handle the motion that makes the difference. There was no problem with the broadcast at all, we had people round on Sunday and they have a plasma and he was blown away with the image, he even commented on how smooth it was.
    Sure it was not the best image I have seen on football, but it was very good.

22. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    don't forget to turn off PURE CINEMA on the XDE, and also ensure DNR and MPEG NR are set to 'low' or off.. and try 100Hz drive mode..

With PURE CINEMA on, I get all sorts of artefacts on anything moving remotely fast.. turn it off, and with the above settings, Football is extremely smooth...

For the max effect, turn both DNR and MPEG NR off, this gives excellent smoothness, and great detail, but the next low bitrate SKY transmission will have you turning them back on...

Update - I am just watching SKY SPORTS 1 now, with the usual Footy round up, and using the above settings, the ball is well detailed even when travelling fast, and very smooth..
    Turning DNR to MID / HIGH smooths too much of the Grass Detail.
    Tunring on PURE CINEMA to Standard ruins everythiing it seems ok for a while, but every now and again you get some awful interlace type artefacts... yuk..

23. NickHack

NickHack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Sorry for the delayed post. I didn't notice anything to worry my viewing experience in terms of movement, etc but to be honest I was enthralled by the game. I did notice tonight that some fast moving credits (It was after Conspiracies on Sky Three I think) were quite hard to read but thats such a small thing compared to everything else it's hardly worth complaining about.
    For the ongoing debate I would say that the match on Sunday certainly looked of a good quality to me. I watch a lot of crappy music channels, Takeshi's Castle as well as the odd bit of BBC/ ITV and the Sky Sports quality was noticeable in comparison.
    Thanks to Demon for the advice on setup. Since I got the panel on the wall and got images from Sky, XBox, DVD, etc I had forgotten completely about the instruction book and the options menu!!! :rolleyes: Will attempt to refine my viewing experience over the coming days.
    Oh yeah I can sympathise with the pixel problems. From very early on when I got up close I noticed I had one towards the top right that was constantly dark (I also felt like I was on a sun bed! :rotfl: ). Fortunately from any sort of usual viewing distance its completely invisible but I would be pretty p :oops: ed off if I started to get more - especially if they were visible whilst watching. Am I right in saying there's some policy that a certain number are permittable by the manufacturer but if it rises above that number they are required to replace/ repair?

24. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    None too shabby with the Lumagen in place too, I can tell you! Looked very good, although I have seen better (usually on the box office games, wonder why :nono: )