1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pio 435XDE widescreen borders problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Neil Fellows, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I have a Pioneer 435XDE, and am having problems getting the image to fill the screen sometimes. One example was the Moto GP on BBC2 Sunday - there were HUGE black bars either side of the image (i'm talking a good 6" either side, so the image in the middle was almost a perfect square). I've checked the settings and the automatic WSS is on, and it didn't really make much difference when it was off.

It also does this to a lesser degree on programs such as the news, where a border of around 2" appears with one story, yet there is no border on the next.

Should the screen not 'stretch' the image to fill? I'd asume there would be an option to do this? Thanks in advance for any help guys.

2. matelot

matelot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what you using the watch BBC? Sky, Terestrial, Digi Terestrial?

It sounds like either you havent got sky/digi set to widescreen or you're using standard terestrial which isnt widescreen anyway.

Sorry if this comes across as patronising, but you gotta ask the simple stuff first :)

3. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Good point....! I'm using the plasma's built in digital freeview tuner. I also have a Pace twin digital TV recorder, which is set to Widescreen 16:9, and this gave the same image (borders were just slightly smaller though). Any ideas?

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    It's just the way that some programmes are recorded and broadcast, ie, some material is recorded in a 4:3 ratio but broadcast within a 16:9 programme, thus your incoming signal believes it's widescreen even though the actual contents aren't. There's not much you can do about this I'm afraid except for manually zooming whenever this happens.