1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pio 435XDE Settings

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by geebee, Dec 1, 2004.

1. geebee

geebee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello

I took delivery of this screen yesterday.

I'm happy - and I'm not. The picture is excellent (especially on football - much better than I was led to believe) - however, some of the Sky channels look pretty bad (but they did on my CRT). There is quite a big problem with lip synch but it comes and goes - I've got Fenwicks coming to look at this during the week.

Can anyone advise on best settings to use initially. I'm alarmed at comments below about screen burn after 3 weeks.

Can you help me by posting some settings for comparison - also, is there a usage clock for this model - how do i get to it?

Thanks as always

Gary :p

2. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try this.

contrast 35
    bright +1
    colour -10

MPEG NR low
    DNR low

That's what I use now.

3. geebee

geebee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Jaguar

Thanks for your help on this but unfortunately I'm at the end of my tether.

Perhaps some of the retailers who read this forum (and users of the 435) feedback into this thread.

Tonight we have been able to watch very little of my new three grand plasma.

At a guess I would say a third of my Sky channels are unwatchable due to appalling lip sync problems. ALL of the music channels are a joke, Sky Sports 1, Sky News (intermittant) and, something I've only noticed tonight, it's also happening on the xde's own freeview channels - they are out of sync too.

I feel quite physically sick the amount of money I've poured into what I thought was an informed decision (the pioneer rep at Fenwicks assured me that lip sync is not an issue on the pio screens)

To top it off, I have received an email from Pioneer GB

"Hi,

Thanks for your email.

We are aware of a sync issue, on Sky due to their signal being compressed to get as much information as possible to their customers, but with the detriment that there can be a delay. All other sources, DVD, etc should be fine.

Unfortunately there is no adjustment in the panel to accommodate for this, but sync errors can occur even off terrestrial TV on a conventional tube TV.

Regards.
    Customer Relations
    PIONEER GB LIMITED"

I am absolutely LIVID.

I've paid for a powered sub I won't need should this pile of :censored: be sent back to the shop - along with an upgrade disc (multi region) for the free DVD recorder that came with it: £200 in total.

Has anyone else had this problem?
    Does it sound like a fault?
    Is there a solution that doesnt involve a £500 amp (which won't fit in my TV cabinet - none starter).

Any comments greatfully received. I am completely :censored: off :suicide:

Gary

4. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW this has me a bit worried.

I was planning on getting on ein about March 05.

Hope you have this sorted out.

Koing

5. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I have a 434 but no Sky. I have recently bought Pioneers freeview box, which I believe is now built into the 435. I did notice some lip sync once but it went away pretty quickly.

Is the 435 doesn't work right with Sky then I'd say that you have every right to return the goods as "unfit for purpose". You have PM BTW.

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Don't suppose the chap has re-booted his SKY box...... Pull the mians out wait a minute then plug it back in again, wait another minute for the thing to get itself all sorted out again and then take it out of standby, select 101 and see what it looks like.....

7. geebee

geebee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Graham

Thanks tried this - no help at all.

My love affair with plasma is now dead....

The Pioneer 435 looks excellent. In a box, in the garage, waiting for Fenwicks to pick it back up.

When spending 3000+ on a screen, simple things like watching TV or playing PS2 games shouldnt be an issue - but they are.

Thanks for everyone's help on the forums over the last month or so.

I'll keep checking back as an interested spectator.

But for now, back to reality. And perfect sync via a CRT.

Best regards

Gary

8. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Gary.
    I'm staring at a 435XDE now via SKY+ RGB feed and the lip sync is steady and just about right, you must expect some processing delays with digital panels and this assumes the audio gets to you before the picture? Any decent surround processor will have a facility to alter the lip sync delay..... Having a plasma without the full 5.1 does sound a bit rare these days?

9. geebee

geebee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Graham

It might be a bit of a rare setup but unfortunately rack space dictates and I dont have the room for a 5.1 amp. I also dont see why I should stump up another £500 to fix a lip sync problem on some channels and not others.

A TV is there to be watched - not continuously fiddling with digital delays to get sound and picture to match.

Yes, delays can be expected but for over £3000 manufacturers should be looking to address this in the panel.

I'm only pointing out the retailers have a duty to point out that this problem is not as uncommon as I was led to believe

Gary

10. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Garry,

Sorry to hear.

I agree with your last comment. Unfortunatly retailers often haven't got a clue what they are selling.

Good thing there's this forum to share.

11. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    To be fair I don't think this is a normal Pioneer problem or isolated to them, if you apply any video processing (i.e. a digital display that has to have a de-interlaced signal to work) then a delay is enevitable but as you say you should have been made aware of this and possibly Pioneer and others should consider having a facility built in for those who don't have off board audio surround processing. two steps forward one step back as usual with modern technology..... :suicide:

Mind you if you haven't got room for 5.1 how did you find room for a 42" plasma as the average viewing distance must be 10ft or so.....

12. geebee

geebee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for all your feedback.

If my experiences help other people decide whether or not to take the plunge then I'm happier for that.

Graham - No room in my cabinet for a 5.1amp - Not no room in my lounge for 5.1 speakers... Not sure about 10 feet viewing distance :cool:

Best regards

Gary

13. rajvirdee

rajvirdee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Geebee

Sorry to hear that. I've had my pio 435 and am delighted with it. I'm not constantly messing around with the picture and the quality is superb, both with sky and dvd.

Each to their own I suppose...

14. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I have the 435XDE but no Sky. I have not noticed any lip sync problems on the Freeview output unless it is on the CBBC channels and they are scaling an old 4:3 program sometimes, then it can be a bit off but this is a transmission problem, not the Pioneers!

I bet the sync problem mentioned with Sky is either a Sky problem (I had it once and was appalled at some of the transmission quality) or your Sky decoder.

You may be running the Pioneer down un-necessarily. But each to his own.

Did you see the problem on DVD of other sources?

15. geebee

geebee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok

Let's get this into perspective.

We live in an area where we cannot get a decent analogue signal as we are in a valley.

The freeview service is patchy with some channels unwatchable due to freezing service.

That means that we HAVE to use Sky for our TV services.

I paid £3200 for a TELEVISION that I cannot watch TELEVISION on...

That's why I'm annoyed - no other reason!

I'm not spending £3200 on a screen to watch DVDs all the time (and PS2 games - which can only be played for 2 hours - followed by 6 hours of 'television' to stop screen burn.

It's not a case of each to his own - it's a case of why should I spend SO MUCH to not be able to watch TV with appalling lip sync.

No one needs to put up with that - and I for one am not.

My post is intended to warn people that a plasma purchase can sometimes not all be plain sailing.

Gary

16. rufus

rufus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    I sometimes am troubled by lip sync problems even on my old sony wega 32" crt & sky. Just ordered a 435 xde & sky + to replace this setup. Is this just sky problem or
    is it to do with the way they are linked? ie. scart & lead quality etc

17. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Rufus.
    Its a processing issue and sometimes a sky box gets a bit lost and certianly not confined to a Pioneer screen, de-interlacing takes up time pure and simple (about 50ms), if you have a surround processor that has lip stnc built in (and most do), it is a non issue once set correctly. Of course if you only plan to use the speakers connected to the plasma you need to start saving....

18. MJF

MJF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took delivery of 435FDE at the weekend, purchased from JL after they price matched with Richer Sounds. I deliberated on getting the XDE online, but really wanted the 5 year warranty and to buy locally.

I spent a long time deliberating on which screen to go for and am really happy with my decision. Sure, the price will probably go down in the coming months, there will always be a new model round the corner - but you can think about things for too long.

Picture Quality is amazing with both Sky and DVD. I've not seen any problems with Lip Sync, all the main Sky Channels look great. Halo 2 on the xbox blew me away! I hooked up the media box to Sky with a QED 2910 Scart and my Denon 3910 with a Chord HDMI cable - I'm now going to have to watch my entire DVD collection again!! Next on the shopping list is the Denon 3805 Amp and KEF 5005s....

19. rajvirdee

rajvirdee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'll second that MJF - and the PQ will improve further yet !