1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pio 435XDE Help please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by dino2021, Mar 9, 2005.

1. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,
    Thanks for the replies in advance :)

Bought a 435 a few days ago and at first was happy with the performance, BUT the picture via SKY+ is not that great lots of blocking on some channels.

I have it hooked up via S-video to scart with s-video selected on the Media receiver and it gives a good picture

I have also got it on another input using rgb via scart and it seems to give worse performance than the s-video.

When I do a split screen the blacks are much deeper and things are much sharper on svideo than via scart with RGB.

I am using good quality cables for each connection, all gold plated and OFC and so on.

From what i read on these forums RGB is meant to give a better performance than s-video yet it seems to be worse for me????

Any way to get a better picture on this 435xde is is it going to have to go back and get a PHD7 ?????

2. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Any one ? :)

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    S-video versus RGB scart is not as clear cut as some folks think in practice. S-Video is kind of sawn off component vid, and often gives good results. I assume that's a decent enough scart you are using for RGB? The s-video picture is usually softer and smoother than RGB though. Have you turned off all 'picture enhancing' technology they so thoughtfully provide? It's all very well for the vast majority of XDE buyers who have no idea about RGB, widescreen etc (you gotta believe me on this one, I get called to loads) but for folks with a little know how it's nonsense. Try that, see if you like it better. Did you not have a demo? To my eyes the picture just is noisy and busy no matter what, basically the resolution showing up any problems like a magnifying glass. Just my theory, and why they look so nice with a well scaled HDMI feed.

4. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I have my 505 hooked via Monster RGB scart & am very pleased with pq. Occasionally i will experience some noise ,but only on certain broadcasts so i guess Sky is partly to blame. As Maw says,turn all the noise reductions off apart from CTI which should still be set to ON. Hopefully when SKY goes HDMI we will see the best of what the XDE has to offer.

Dan :)

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,030
    dino2021

When your viewing SKY+ via RGB push the 'Display' button and what comes up in a Blue Box top right of the screen.

Best regards

Joe

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    And one other thing, you have to enable RGB input on the screen as well as output on the sky box IIRC? Have you?

7. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Yes I set the input to RGB in the menus,

Info is reporting RGB 625i for input 1
    Info is reporting S-video pal for input 3

when you do a split screen the s-video feed is so much sharper than the RGB, text is razor sharp on s-video and blacks are true black.

I am going to try another scart lead on it and see how it goes.

Comments?

:)

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    It's reporting the right info back, see how the other lead does.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,030
    dino2021

So clear now your viewing RGB.

What Picture mode are using for the RGB and S-Video inputs? As MAW suggests ensure you have all of the 'picture enhancement' features switched off in the Pioneer menu.

Also its often worth settings SKY to Low contrast in the Digibox set-up menu.

Best regards

Joe

10. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    other lead is the same, i just took a pic which I will try and put up :)

s-video is on the left and RGB on the right, i know about moving images and so on but look at the colour detail and zoom in at the channel logo I checked on the crt wired up by rf out from the sky,and she was covered in make up and looked like the s-video pic on the left :)

Attached Files:

11. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I did as you said and turned off all enhancements and thought I would just pop another photo up S-video seems to be the way to go with the xde,

Again sideo on the left and RGB on the right

Attached Files:

12. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I find on my 434 that the PiP screen is always brighter than the "Main" screen, regardless of where the signal comes from and what it travels through (S-Video/RGB/Component).

Try your experiment again with the Screens swapped so that an RGB input is on the left side.

13. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Everyone seems to be saying that the Pioneer Pro Adjustments should be switched off. This might be true for the DVD via HDMI connection, but after playing around for many hours, I believe some of the settings improve the picture significantly:

MPEG NR I have on Mid as I get quite a lot of mosquito noise on digital cable depending on the channel (Sky probably as well)
    CTI on
    DRE low, which in my opinion improves the black levels
    NR low
    Pure Cinema off

For the HDMI connection I only have CTI on.

I'm not quite sure how the "purists" who switch everything off cope with mosquito noise of digital broadcasting?

14. teoterone

teoterone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MPK my setting are exactly the same as yours, but I have DRE off because I find that dark colours are completly lost as black so detail is reduced.

Also can someone tell me what the hell does CTI do, I find that it makes no difference to the image quality.

15. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    teoterone:

According to Pioneer "the Dynamic Range Expander enhances the dynamic range by adjusting the dark and bright portions on images so that the contrast between brightness and darkness becomes clearer, producing the most vivid of pictures."

I noticed that if you set the DRE to low and then increase the brightness so that in your DVE test patterns you have the right brightness, it actually enhances the black levels, which is generally a weakness of Pioneer.

Regarding CTI, Pioneer claims the following:

"Ordinary plasma displays have a hard time accurately rendering a colored image laying over another colored image — for example, a man in a blue jacket standing against a red wall. The usual result is a dithered pattern and an inaccurate combination of colors where the two images intersect. Digital Color Transient Improvement (C.T.I.), a Pioneer PureDrive development, smooths out edges of color images so that they’re more distinct, and colors are more precisely reproduced."

I do notice a slight improvement with CTI set to on, but not much

16. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Looks like you need to find out if the problem lies in the RGB output from your Sky box or the RGB input on your Pioneer. Try a different input on the Pioneer or the Sky SCART RGB output on a different TV.

Good luck.

17. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    can any one else try the split screen with rgb and svideo and post there results?

I have had 2 sky boxes and have always found the s-video to be sharper out of the sky+ than RGB.

18. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Any one?

19. cashlessbond

cashlessbond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have always thought when you look at Images with pip the image on the left is always very good and much better than the image on the right. Try swapping the images and see if your S-video looks as good on the right as it does on the left (I bet it does'nt). I have put Sky on the left and DVD on the right and thought they both looked pretty good, (when they shouldn't) but as soon as I swapped the image around you can clearly see how superior the DVD pic looks compared to the sky one again.There must be a technical reason for this, someone on here must know. Of course all this still doesn't explain why the image looks better on your set using S-video than RGB Scart. :)

20. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Seconded. Can the poster of the pictures please try this. As I've said the RIGHT hand screen of PiP is always BRIGHT.

21. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    OK I went and did the test myself on my Pio 434. My setup is that I have a Sony 700 connected via S-Video to INPUT2 and a Pioneer 220 connected via RGB to INPUT1.

I use a 20 quid S-Video MiniDin->SCART lead and a 18 quid Thor 21-pin SCART Lead respectively.

Both players are playing DTS Sample Disc 4, Hotel California (Just how good is that track in DTS :thumbsup: ). I have paused them at the same place and taken a photo.

Photo 1 : SVideo on the Left, RGB on the right
    Photo 2 : RGB on the Left, SVideo on the right

As you can see, the right hand picture is always brighter. To me its as though the image is being fed to the screen using composite video.

I think this just proves that the Media Receiver doesn't handle the Right Hand screen of PIP very well.

BTW, I found the SVideo pants in comparison to the RGB when using the full screen.

Attached Files:

22. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    just tried it my self and have to agree, swopped them over and your correct the left hand screen is always more sharp, colour on the s-video seems to be a richer but this could be the settings for s-video in the panel, but there we go, :)

thanks every one for there help on this topic sure it will help others in the future if they do a search :)

Dino