Pio 435 solarisation problems

K

kayemd

I have just bought a pioneer 435 and am generally very pleased. The picture from DVD is superb and the picture from many shows on Sky+ is good.

However I am noticing quite a bit of solarisation on a range of shows (24, eastenders etc.) It seems to be just on peoples faces.

I have turned a few of the pro adjustments off such as DNR etc. but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Is there anything I can do? Is this a fault or is this just something I have to live with?

Thanks

Mark

Just watched Star Trek - Enterprise and loads of solarisation. I am starting to feel as if I have wasted my money! Please help anyone................

Never seen any on my 435XDE but I only have Freeview.
When ever I have seen Sky I have always noted that the picture quality seems to vary considerably. Maybe its a Sky problem not your Pioneer?
Do you see the effect on DVDs?

Hi kayemd,I've had my 435xde for 6 weeks now and like xmb I've not seen a hint of any problems though I only use freeview/DVD'S and uprated my aerial + cabling to ensure the best possible signal when I installed the plasma.It's probably sky and its lack of bandwith as discussed on many other threads here. (Just for reference for others, before I bought my screen I found this very useful and it's worth viewing for those who,like me, need such things explaining http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188318) Regards
Ian

Not so much of a problem on DVD if at al - having said that we watched a couple of episodes of Millenium on dvd and i def noticed on that.

Could this be a screen problem? Bought from John Lewis so they are usually pretty good about changing if it could be a screen problem.

Thanks

It's unlikely to be faulty, it's more like the picture settings are off, or you don't have RGB enabled on both Pio input and sky output, this is unusual on a Pioneer screen.

I def have RGB enabled on Sky output and Pio input - I am also using a QED AV4110 RGB scart.

Thanks MAW, any other suggestions? Its really starting to get me down after spending so much money (well its a lot to me!)

John Lewis have agreed to send an angineer out to take a look and replace if they notice anything I have been talking about!

There is definitely something wrong if everything is Ok with the set up through RGB and the cable is fine... (by the way did you try another scart cable...just in case..) You should not have this problem

Poor source material is more than likely to be the cause of the problem if it has been encoded with a low bit rate. Pioneer plasmas tend to be about the best for minimsing this effect but you may still see some solarisation on pictures which are orange/pink in colour like a person's face. A decent DVD player can also minimise the effect. What are you using?

I've found a good test for this......play a DVD from New Line Studios such as Lord of the Rings. If the New Line logo at the start of the film has no colour banding/solarisation the display is usually of a higher quality. Simple, but it tends to hold true on assessing a plasma and lcd display, quickly.

Thanks Laser - just tried Lord of the Rings and not much banding/solarisation on the new line cinema logo to be honest but still don't think the pic is great actually in the film - maybe I have just become paranoid!!!

Just wish the sky pic was better - I notice the solarisation on nearlly everything now. I am sure it seems worse than when I first got it?

Guess I will just have to see what the engineer says.

Mine went back for this very reason, and I am waiting for the pana pv500b now, watching sky one with the likes of startrek or stargate is horrible, skin tones are all over the place and in some cases it just looks like they have a face made of 16 shades of the same colour all blotchy just horrid, couldnt fault it on High def material 720p like the series 24 looked amazing, and dvd quality was great too, onboard FTA was ok as well, just sucked with sky+ my main source of viewing.

Dino

Well I have just had John Lewis engineer out (sub-contractor). They looked at the various things i showed them (sky+, sky+ recordings and dvd).

They spent 5 mins looking at it and basically said they can see what i am talking about but this is a good as plasma get really!!!

they ran no tests, did not look at my settings or anything like that.

I think there report to JL will just say its within manufacturers parimeters. Called JL and to talk about looking at other sets and maybe swapping out - this will not do this unless engineer report says its faulty - or they will but will charge me 10% handling.

So looks like I am stuck with this set - any suggestions?

Maybe get a calibration by an expert who will surely be able to tell me if there is an underlying problem?

thanks

Where are you mate? Perhaps a friendly forum member could help say if they are shooting you a line or not?

Hiya

I initially had a few quality problems with the screen display but after a couple of hundred hours it has come good. Do a search against my name for my posts and I have posted my settings in one of them. Worth a try maybe?

How far are you sitting from the screen? We sometimes notice it if we are close up but vary rarley in normal viewing position. We have watched a couple of recent films through telewest cable recently and they have been supberb considering they arnt of DVD quality broadcasts.

Steve

Maw - I and just outside southampton.

I have spoken to Piers and arranged for a calibration this Tuesday. Fugured he will be able to tell me if anything is up and also run the calibration and which I wanted to get done anyway - he seems pretty cool guy and very informative when chatting on the phone today.

Tomo - Thanks for the tip, have probably only logged about 80 hours so far so hopefully will get better as time goes by. We sit about 10 feet away but this will change when new furniture and sofas arrive and it will be more like 14 feet.

kayemd said:
have probably only logged about 80 hours so far so hopefully will get better as time goes by. .

You'll be wanting to leave your plasma on 24hrs a day between now and Tuesday then .....

Joe Fernand reckons 100hrs should be on the clock before ISF, others say 200hrs.

Piers did my Pioneer 504 a couple of weeks back and I have noticed an improvement on SKY (not that it was terrible before). I'd also had the panel for several months.

The biggest improvement seems to have been made on the poorest channels (Setanta sports, UK GOLD), and I get less solarisation than before on all channels. Overall, money well spent :thumbsup:

Thanks Mikey,

Just checked and only 67 hrs clocked up - It will be on till Tuesday when Piers arrives then!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom