1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pio 435 reviews

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Leerock, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know where I can find reviews for 435?
    The only one I ve found is that old stupid review from What Hi-fi. :mad:

2. fraser e

fraser e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get this months issue and your in for a surprise. They've done a complete U turn and now awarded it 5 stars as well as being the best plasma ever! They do mention the previous review on the FDE, questioning why the quality is so different. The XDE and FDE share the same panel, just a different media box.

The main point to take from this is that the best person to review anything is yourself. I bought a 435XDE because I liked what I saw, regardless of what the magazines said.

Magazines are useful for the technical info but even there they can get it wrong. Look at all the recent talk about Sky-HD. According to all the magazines Component will be good enough for HD, Sky are saying otherwise, no-one knows what HD-DVD or Blu-Ray will need. Some magazines quote Skys recent announcement saying that you must had DVI (HDCP) or HDMI and then a few pages later review a panel without these digital connections saying that it is still HD Ready.

The best you can do now is to buy what you like to look at. Get as many future proof connections that you can afford and sit back and enjoy. You can sit on the fence for a very long time (I did). I now have no regrets and am enjoying TV + DVD now in 43".

3. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Leerock
    Home Cinema choice (January 2005) has a review of the XDE - 4 stars - the usual comments associated with the tv - Great with hi def sources but struggles with analogue and digital tv. Plasma & LCD buyer (supplement in what video widescreen) has a FDE review which gives a 5 star "breathtakingly good" report. I've glimpsed at a few other mags which pretty much say that the digi tv is not great but having read other peoples reports it seems that it is not that bad (Hope not anyway cos I am waiting for one to be delivered). What are your thoughts on the tv ?

4. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18

Hi Fraser,

saw the thread where you were anticipating the delivery of your 435 xde. I am now in the same position waiting.
    You sound happy with the quality - Is the digital tv from the in built tuner or seperate sky box good or do we believe the many mag reviews to the contrary. Also have you hooked up a HDMI dvd player to the tv, if so does the pq justify a new hdmi dvd player or is it not worth it?

5. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    in antiscipation of Fraser :)

I have no "issues" with the Freeview signal or reproduction quality on my 435XDE, my previous setup was a Pace Freeview STB/46" Toshiba RPTV and the freeview performance is about the same, by that I mean sometimes on a Saturday night BBC1 looks like it is running 15fps, football is more of a compromise if you are an avid fan, and you get the occasional signal break which causes that nasty "tchhh" sound if you are listening through your hifi at any reasonable volume. As a result I have never felt the urge to hook up the analogue tuner to date, nor am I compelled to sign up for Sky or Cable.

AV2 is for my modded Xbox which has gained a new position of respect since buying the 435, I have the High def kit and XBMC player that allows me to watch divx and upscaled DVD's

AV3 is for my Arcam HDMI DVD player, sometimes results are stunning [LOTR for example] other times you are firmly reminded that the black definition can be a bit "lacking" particularly on low bitrate copies.

PC input was also a revelation in the early days but the image retention I experienced was so terrifying the PC was immediately disconnected and it is only now 3 months down the line that my sphincter has relaxed enough for me to evacuate my bowels properly :blush: .

All things returned to normal after a nights viewing and I now realise/recommend that connecting a PC or Xbox might be better after the 200 hr running in period.

I would also hold off on an expensive HDMI player till we see what blueray reveals, by all means track down a sub £150 job in the meantime

6. attach

attach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got hold of the issue of What Hifi and boy didt they make a uturn, calling it the best plasma yet :)

In the issue there is a cupon where you can win a BMW X5 if you scratch 3 matching X5 symbols. Well i did but the competion is only open to UK residents and i live in Denmark so i cant call the phone nr on the coupon to se if i really won:(
    Am i really that lucky or didt any one of you who bourght the magasin also scratch 3 matching symbols?

7. albertz

albertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    leerock,

i saw a 435xde properly demonstrated today in a local av shop, it was fed via hdmi, and the picture was absolutley stunning!! there was none of the usual picture suspects present, the images were pin sharp, and very bright, this is definatley the best screen ive seen in the flesh, ive looked at lots of others including pannys and hitachis but they dont come close imho.

8. retro21

retro21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello all.

Like alot of people here i have been reading the boards for a while to assist me in viewing/purchasing the right plasma.

Well I viewed a HDTV demo in Barcelona and I can honestly say I was gobsmacked !!

The Plasma was a Pioneer PDP-435xde and it was running the HD1 channel.

The picture was litterally like looking out of a window. Admittedly it was 'travel type shots' like sea/beaches/birds, but also shots of music concerts were quality.

I agree that this Screen is Stunning and now top of my wishlist.

9. Audzatstods

Audzatstods
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I received my pdp-435xde today along with an nsdv1000, now i can play dvds ok but i cant get any sound from the tv, not a dicky bird. Connected it up as per the manual and have spent all afternoon and most of this evening with still no joy.

What have i done wrong??

Any suggestions?

Regards

Auds

10. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    1) Did you buy speakers for it? It requires either black or silver side of underside mounted speakers. If not then it is assumed that you are using an AV amp.

2) If you get sound OK from DVD but not from the internal tuner then you need to change a setting for each channel, under the Tuner options page.
    My 434s came wth that setting incorrect for the UK.

11. Audzatstods

Audzatstods
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No i didnt buy speakers with it as i was buying the home cinema. The other thing i thought might be a problem is that i only watch programs through sky as my aerial signal is worse than useless, so its the only channel which is tuned in and the Home cinema display says anologue so shouldnt that be digital?

Not too impressed with the picture so far, are their settings you would suggest for a sharper picture.

Thanks for the info will go and look

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi mate, funny you should have this TV sound problem. I have a customer with the exact same issue, we are just about to go for warranty repair on it having exhausted all menu setting etc. I can't get TV sound out via phonos, or any scart set to output, it's the weirdest thing I have come across, and I've seen some. Not too impressed is how I always am with anything but HD sources on this screen, same with MXE pioneers, you can get around this with a scaler on the MXE, which then becomes about as good as it gets, my favourite combination maybe... Pioneer works dealers are told to demo the XDE with HDTV, wonder why?

13. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Try for No2 then, if its only in the tuner channels thats your problem. Let us know how you get on.

14. Audzatstods

Audzatstods
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the shop called last night and we unplugged and plugged all the connections, switched it on and the only sound coming out was from the 2 little speakers connected directly to the tv. Then i pressed the "input" button on the tv and the sound came through the Home Cinema, so its working now but i still have to suss out how to do it from the handset, as it seems to only work if i press the tv input button which isnt handy.

I shall have to play with it a bit more to understand how it all works, but i must say the NSDV1000 sounds ace, was watching a film the other night and a woman opened a door and walked across the room and it actually sounded like she was in the room. The dogs are going daft cos they keep thinking someone is coming in.