1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pio 434HDE turns itself off!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Quinny, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the title suggests I have a Pioneer 434HDE that turns itself off. This occurs within a few seconds of turning it on. The picture is established on screen for a couple of seconds before the green on indicator on the media box starts to flash and the screen then shuts off. The green indicator flashes for eight times before stopping for a couple of seconds before repeating the cycle again.

The only way I have found to get the screen to work is to turn the Media box off via the on/off button and try again. So far this has worked. Initially this happened sporadically but from Friday evening it occurs every time I turn on the Plasma. It's not particularly warm in the room and the media box is installed as per the recommendations in the manual.

Any ideas? This is really annoying me especially as this is the second media box I have had. The first replaced due to a clock issue.

2. thebigkung

thebigkung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

You haven't got the 'turn off if no signal detected' option enabled on the power option? I know this is supposed to give 15mins before a power off, but that's all I can think of.

I've not experienced the problem you have described on my pdp-434Hde.

Regards,

Len

3. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Len,

Thanks for the reply. I have spoken to Pioneer and they confirm that the unit has gone into a protect mode and the flashing indicator denotes this. This could be for a number of reasons. I will check your suggestion (if I can get the screen to stay on long enough) later tonight.

DQ

4. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I checked the 'turn off if no signal detected' and this is not enabled. Anyone have any other suggestions?

5. LeeT

LeeT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it still under warranty? If so call 'em out!!

6. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have. They want to take both the screen and the Media box away to investigate further. I was hoping that someone may have had this issue before and been able to say that it was a screen fault or a problem with the media box. I am trying to get them to bring out a spare media box so that they can see what is causing the unit to shut off.

I am worried that the screen may get damaged in transit to and from the repairers (accidents do happen) and want to avaoid unnecessary risk. Apart from that the pain in unplugging and getting the screen and media box ready for return is something I want to avoid if at all possible.

7. LeeT

LeeT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah totally understand, have they offered a loaner if they have to take yours away?

My 504 switched itself off a few times but this was due to a loose connection between the Media Box and the Plasma, tightened it all up and worked fine.

I can't see why they wouldn't bring a replacement media box with them as it surely must be more cost effective for them to do an onsite check that ship it back to their workshop and then investigate/repair there.

8. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's all very complicated as to loaners but basically yes.They are service agent for the Shop I purchased from and therefore I have to get the shop to sort out the loaner and then let the service provider know what's happening. This has changed a bit since the Service Manager got involved.

You would think that it would be better for them to come out and see the fault 'in the flesh' rather than try and re-produce it in their workshop. No fault found is all I can see written on the service sheet at this point.

I have checked for loose cables but will check again. Did your screen turn off at start up or during operation? Did you get a flashing green light on the media box? What cables were not tight? Mine shuts off initially but re-set at the mains seems to allow it to work until I switch off and on again after 20 minutes.

9. LeeT

LeeT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine used to power up and then switch itself off almost straight away, I think it caused the red LED on the media box to flash (can't be too sure about that).

Hope you get it sorted soon cos it must be a real pain in the a$$.

10. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No joy with loose connections. Pioneer Customer Services advised me that the flashing green light meant that the Media Box had gone into a 'Protection Mode' and switches off everything. They advised me to call out their service provider.

Service Provider turned up yesterday and I have now have a replacement box (number 3) and all seems OK so far. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it continues to perform well.

11. Prodigal

Prodigal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quinny

It's good to know that your new media box is okay so far, in my opinion, no matter what, don't let them collect your panel for checking or repairing, if possible, just insist a new replacement, as I tried to install a backlight at the back of my 434HDG last night, I carelessly made a 2" scrach at the stand, in fact it is hard to see, but I'm so upset, strange isn't it. As I've read many stories that they are almost certain to make a scratch here or there once they take it back for repairing or checking.

Are you sure your 3rd media box is a new one out of the box ? If yes, I think you should be able to sleep well. ;)

12. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Prodigal,

I'm still not sure that it's new. It was manufactured in April! I am waiting for a brand new one to be dispatched by the supplier of the screen and have been told to keep the 'loaner' until that comes.

Sorry to hear about the scratch. I too would be upset and will not let the screen out of my site. If they want it then they'll have to give me a new one as you suggest.