1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pio 434 picture drop-out

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Diapason, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

Finally got a good chance to watch the new Pio 434 last night. During Finding Nemo, I suffered from picture drop-out on 5 occasions. It's a little alarming. I've logged the fault with my dealer, who's going to get on to Pioneer about it as well.

To be honest, I'm glad that I'm not the only one having this problem. I'd be really worried if I hadn't read about it on here.

Oh, and I've got a pixel stuck on red :(

Si

2. howies

howies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh dear i have got one of these on order. is everybody else having problems on dvd as well as sky etc. do you think i should swap my order for a hd panasonic or just get it and wait to see if it can be fixed.

3. frozendexter

frozendexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm V happy with mine, even with the odd drop out, reckon they will do a media box software update & sort the problem so stick by your guns!

4. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've just posted this on the DVD Player forum as it all started with a question over supply of HDMI cables.......

Been down to my local dealer anf had the Pioneer demo. Same as at Manchester and I gues Heathrow. Same guys same spiel. This was a one-to-one so I had plenty of questions to fire at them.

1) No HDMI bundled with the DVD Player. They are hoping to get decent supplies in the next 3-4 weeks and may get a couple dozen before then but I assume they are for Pioneer themselves as they say the company as a whole only has 2 HDMI cables to their name. BUT one of the Pioneer guys when taken to one side said that ...'you could be waiting until Febuary' !!

2) All Pioneer reps (and these were product managers and area managers) denied any known problem with the R04 media box. The Plasma product manager blamed the internet for spreading unfounded rumours. He gave me the usual rubbish about 'out of all the thousands we supply you only hear about the few exceptional faults'. I did question where all these thousands of 434 and 504's were because nonone that I know can even get a firm delivery date for a 504 let alone actually own one but thats another story. Which takes me nicely to....

3) Dealers get 'their' 504's 'towards the end of next week' but I think that stock won't be supplied until into December, but this is just my opinion. Most dealers will sell their 'demo' units to customers who had their name down early so you may be one of those lucky people.

oh yes and the demo.............HDMI was measurably better than component. The colours were very vivid.

Any way this is getting more like a plasma thread so I'll paste this on that forum.

PLEASE PUT ME ON THE LIST FOR AN HDMI CABLE

Cheers
    simon

5. MTJ

MTJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lumpsucker,

interesting note, thanks. Did they happen to say when the DV-668s will be available??

Perhaps if there is anyone who reads the forum and DOESN'T have the drop out problem they could post here! I have yet to find anyone.

JL phoned today to say my replacement 434 just arrived in stock. Perhaps I should accept it, even though I suspect it wont fix the problem, just so Pioneer get one more returned.

Still waiting for them to call to setup an appointment to visit!

Mark

6. hawkinm

hawkinm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bugger.

read this earlier then noticed I too have a stuck red pixel on my 434. I know the manual says such things are not covered by local warranty - but am I within my rights to ask my dealer to change it? The bloody things really annoying now I've noticed it.

I'm still suffering with the picture drop out - but not as much as usual.

hows everyone else doing?

7. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Guys, I am quite sure Pioneer will address the drop put and slow switching issue appropriately. No-one should be really stopping themselves from ordering these beauties! Patience and we will get there!

8. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not have the drop out issue (but don't have a dvd player or settop box connected yet).

Slow switching, it is !! and very much so...

Re. bad pixels: I do not want to search !!:) I am afraid if I have got one I might see it all the time.....

9. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    MTJ,

sorry no, I didn't mention the 668 and nor did they.

Regards

simon

10. rc5

rc5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no problems with mine

11. emad

emad
    Banned for trading fraud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Does the drop issue apply to DVD playback only or Does it occur while watching Sky or Cable?

Thanks

12. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Mine occurs during analog and digital terrestrial TV, never on DVD or digital satellite

13. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No picture dropout except on VHS when going back or forward in vision.

14. StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    video and sky digital on mine :0(

15. emad

emad
    Banned for trading fraud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, It seems that DVD is the only exception.

16. frozendexter

frozendexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    DVD & Sky, Don't watch analog. Watched T3 last night and I lost picture three time! still love the screen though.

17. reedp54

reedp54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have been watching the pioneer 434 soildy for around a week now and have only experienced the drop out once whilst watching Sky.

This has got me thinking that it may be due to WSS (i think it is called this) where the TV decides which wide screen format to use. When it chooses the format the screen goes blank for a few seonds and then re-appears stating which input, wide screen format etc it is using.

Perhaps the plasma is recieving a signal/flag from the source to change the format of the screen hence the drop out, screen goes blank as it selects the correct format.

On my old Sony Wega TV on some DVD's the screen used to change format all the time because of this auto format feature, but it was instantaneous.

On the plasma you can turn this feature off, it might be worth a try:) and then watch the same DVD or TV program which caused the problem and see if the drop out happens again.

18. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Interesting idea.

One of the times that I experienced dropout was during the credits on a DVD, and another when the screen was black for a little while anyway (early in Finding Nemo), so I guess these would be likely times for the screen to be trying to auto-switch.

I wonder is that why so few of us seem to be having the problem on DVD? I guess most people just set the DVD input to wide (or full as it's called on the Pio) and turn off widescreen switching. That might also explain why Pioneer are denying that it's a fault. It might be a "feature"

Si

19. MTJ

MTJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reedp54,

good thought. Unfortunately just went and checked my settings and WSS is switched off. Saw the drop out last night for the first time on DVD. However going back to the place is droped out did not cause it to happen again.

Still waiting for the call from Pioneer.......

20. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yeah, I'm concerned about the non-reproducibility of the problem. I can just picture an engineer calling round and not believing that there's a problem at all. "Looks alright now, bud!"

Si

21. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    with all the problems you guys are experienceing should i cancell my 504 .
    P@T:confused:

22. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hello P@,

Have u got a delivery date yet ?

Simon

23. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Guys, rest assured that the drop out relates to software that needs upgrading. Absolutely nothing to do with the settings you have. Pioneer is definitely taking care of that. You should not cancel any orders. If your media box does not have the latest software to fix the problem, you should contact them and they will come to do it. Looking at the other threads it seems they have started doing so.

24. MTJ

MTJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer called and are coming to replace the media box on Tuesday. (He confirmed they are expecting the new media boxes to arrive Monday). Guess this means it is not just a software fix.

He did say they had a few to do.....

Fingers crossed!

25. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    LUMPSUCKER
    I have had no date yet ,was told mid Nov but that wont happen
    any one had a date yet?

26. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pls pls pls report back as Pioneer Germany is still unclear what to do... I will push them if it really helps.

27. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    This is really strange. It is Pioneer Germany who advises UK and who have instructed the actions being taken now

28. paxton

paxton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm wondering whether I have the 'picture drop-out' problem described on my 434hde.

When watching through sky dig, the screen sometimes goes blank for a few seconds, as if changing input. The sound remains ok, and the pic comes back ok,with the detail box displayed in the top right corner. As I said, it's as if I've changed input.

If so, is this solved with a media-box swap-out? Or a s/w upgrade to my existing one? Or could it be cabling?

As far as I remember, it's never happened while watching dvd, but I can't be 100% sure on this. It does happen viewing sky dig or through tivo playback.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

29. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Yes it sounds very much like it...... BUT if you bought after Jan 2004 you should not really have the issue. As a symptom it points to that direction. Mine did exactly that with "sometimes" being more or less at least once each day... and on occasion it will even lose the sound. Since the media box was changed back in December 2003 I have seen signal dropping once and I guess it must have been the satellite transmission.

30. thebigkung

thebigkung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bough my 434 at the end of July. There was no delivery delay (I can't see why people are having problems getting hold of them)- 2days it took. The system was built in July and built in England! so it says on the box, it seemed it came straight from the production line.

I've had it on constantly almost every day on sky + (RGB) and DVD (Component) and not seen any droppouts. I only experience what Billilu does using my onld sVHS system ff lp.

There may be no actual 'fault' but a tollerence issue between the signal strength and the type of leads and the media box. I've experence these sorts of issues in the computer industry where identical motherboards work differently due to the tollerence in some of the componets having being sourced differently even though they are the the same spec.

Thoughts?