Pio 434 HDE/PDP-R04E (2004):Hope sought!

WindBag

Standard Member
We have a Pioneer PDP-434 with a PDP-R04E media box, which we bought May 2004 as part of a Pioneer AV system (with control leads, so the screen IR sensor controlled the other equipment).
One unusual part of the setup was that all the main system, including the media box, was in the hifi rack beside the sofa on one side of the room, with the screen on the other, connected by a very expensive long Pio cable which we put under the floorboards.

About a week ago, the TV started to get temperamental about switching on (which we always do via the receiver remote "source" power button). It would auto shutdown after the "click" at the first go - but would then come on at the second go. Then after it seemed to have "warmed up", would often come power up first time. Two days ago, it took 3-4 goes to come on, and we started to worry.
We noted that the green power light flashed 7 times before going steady, into standby, each time.

I headed off to this forum, and found a few posts about similar problems. I found that 7 flashes is code for something, but no post as what green flashes meant what error (only red flashes).
I found the engineer menu sequence, but also advice that the best first step would be to unplug the long umbilical, check it was OK, take out the media box, check those connections, clean the fan etc.

It actually wasn't that bad, so I dusted with a paint brush and sucked with a vacuum hose-end & plugged it all back in. The main umbilical connectors were very clean. No sign of any other component failure inside.

The Plasma senses when the umbilical is disconnected, as it flashed red-green at that point.
The Media box also senses they are disconnected, as it powers up, but will not respond to the TV remote, nor the receiver. When connected, the cable must have some connection, as the receiver IR commands get to it OK via the screen IR sensor.

But the reward for the cleanup was that it didn't even try to switch on the screen at all, or go into the "7 green flashes then screen off click" sequence that it did before.

So I tried the original, default, shorter umbilical cable originally supplied. Same result - no attempt to power up (all other connections restored to normal).

So, can anyone suggest what next, short of buying a new TV?

I have my eye on an "untested" PDP-R04E media box on ebay - not quite sure how much to bid on it yet. But I have little feel whether the issue is likely to be in the media box or the screen. Or whether the untested box actually "works" !

I also saw some posts about Pioneer replacing some media boxes foc, but refusing others - but couldn't see a post about which models fell in which camp.

Any constructive suggestions welcome! First ebay auction finishes in 36 hours.

WindBag

Standard Member
Eg does anyone have a (surplus) 434 service manual they could be persuaded to part with?

goatlips

Give pioneer customer services a call and get it repaired? Keep the tv, I still think it's one of the best even in today's Market. I just got my HDMI hdcp error repaired for £65+vat.

WindBag

Standard Member
Give pioneer customer services a call and get it repaired? Keep the tv, I still think it's one of the best even in today's Market. I just got my HDMI hdcp error repaired for £65+vat.
Hmm, not trivial, as Pio service centres aren't exactly thick on the ground - there are none in the East Midlands. How far was your service centre/how did you get the kit to centre?

If I could get it repaired for < £200, I'd be happy - beyond that, I start looking at the Panny plasmas at ~£500 (like I saw last night in Tesco's, of all places)

goatlips

My repair centre was 25miles away. Do a search for your local one?

They Offered a collection service as well at extra cost, but I took my media box to them.

Last edited:

WindBag

Standard Member
My repair centre was 25miles away. Do a search for your local one?

They Offered a collection service as well at extra cost, but I took my media box to them.
I did, it's in Sutton Coldfield, almost an hour's drive away. It's also not a matter of just taking the media box, as they won't be able to tell which part is faulty without the screen (see other posts). So the whole kit has to go over - so a collection/redelivery service will NOT be cheap - which will be on top of a likely quote for multi-hundreds of pounds for the repair (also see other Pio 434 posts).

It's actually cheaper to buy a 2nd hand media box (IF that's the problem and IF I know how to identify a working one), which is why I started another thread about what a working one, disconnected, does (in terms of front lights flashing) - but no-one's responded so far.