1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pio 434 and trust

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tigermad, Jan 8, 2004.

1. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Hi Folks

Thanks very much for helping me out on my other posts.

I have searched the forum for my answer and still need your help please.

My hubby would like to wall mount our Pioneer 434. We are thinking about buying the mount from Keene.

I have seen other peoples installations on here but still am very wary of doing the mounting ourselves. We are in a brand new home and plan to mount the plasma on an outside wall.
    Hubby was just planning on running the cables behind the plasterboard, would this be ok? I noticed you say it is against regulation to run a power cable behind there, why is this?

Would using those bolts from Screwfix some people suggest be enough to hold the mount up?

Please help me have faith in my husband because at the moment I feel like we will be watching a 15" portable tv soon if things go wrong :eek:

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Tiger,

Best thing to do is search the forum using "wall mount" or "wall mounting" this should give you a good idea.

If after this you are still in doubt, then probs best to get a builder in to help or an AV installer.

You could also PM a forum member called "MAW" who may be able to give you a quote for a custom installation.

Cheers

JJ

3. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If your outside wall is dry lined............it's better if you can get the screw fixings into the timber uprights,using log screws,other than that if you can only fix into the plasterboard then some heavy duty plasterboard fixings will have to be used,
    the best ones imo are the metal fixings, or if you have still not fixed the plasterboard on yet(being in a new home,not sure if it's complete) you can fit some large timber behind were the bracket sits on the wall before fitting the plasterboard.....hope this helps!

4. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Thanks guys this has been a lot of help anf I think I will be ordering the mount very soon.

Just 2 things.

1) No one has said why you shouldn't just run the power cable through the wall (I have read you should not in other posts).

2) in the webpage that JMack sent there is this paragraph
    "Hanging the PCM100 wall mount... Big screws, right into the studs. LOVE the fact that there are so many options of mounting these things. Obviously, I wanted to mount the brackets where the studs were not. The many holes let me do this without issue...

Why didn't he want to mount the brackets where the studs are? He seems to be contradicting himself. I thought it would be best to screw the mount into the wooden struts as suggested by Stevesorted.

6. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
  7. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have mounted out Pioneer 433MXE to an outside wall (the wall were the fireplace would reside).

House is a relatively new build (2yrs old) and wall is a plasterboard stud wall.

We used a sheet of 12mm MDF to mount to the wood upright posts (plasma bracket wouldn't span the gap between two uprights)

MDF was screwed using 3" inch wood screws.

prior to fitting mdf, the plasterboard also had those aluminium plasterboard rawlplug screwed in (which line up with the pre-drilled holes in the MDF were the plasma bracket would sit)

it's been up about 3mths or so now :)

The are better plugs, the metals one that spread as the screw is tighted. They are used for mounting wall cupboards (i.e kitchen cupboards etc) and so hold a large weight

regards
    Gary

8. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Thanks Gary.

Sounds like a good idea.

Do you find that the Plasma is quite a bit away from the wall now because of the MDF?

9. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the bracket itself is the one from the powerbuys section on these forums. This itself is only 18mm deep, so with the 12mm MDF the gap from wall to back of plasma is only 30mm or so, probably 40mm due to shape of rear of plasma

Very narrow overall though, and looks brilliant :)

Gary

10. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Great

All I need to do now is order the bracket. I am painting the lounge white at the moment. Hope I have made the right colour choice!

11. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    tigermad,

I'm not aware of any reason why you shouldn't run power cables behind the plasterboard, after all, the cables that run to your wall sockets are behind the plasterboard.

I think the important thing to do though is to make sure that the power cable are run vertically rather than on a diagonal as it means that anyone fastening anything to the plasterboard at a later date won't run into the cable by accident.

HTH

John

12. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I painted the wall that our 504 is on a deep blue, slightly "blacker" than navy.
    This has the effect of making the plasma surround and the centre speaker disappear when watching with the lights off.
    Gives a much better "cinema" feel.
    I think a white wall would be too much of a contrast with a black plasma against it so you may want to reconsider...

I think for some technical reason related to colour, something in the red range is the preferred backdrop for plasmas/projectors but I don't know why.

13. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Thanks Guys

Has anyone on here got white walls with their plasmas.

I wanted the minimalistic look and don't fancy dark or bright walls.

14. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we have an off-white color, the usual neutral color used by House Doctor etc :)

Gary