1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pio 434/504 media box

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dvdsubtitles, Sep 16, 2004.

1. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

What is the current situation with the Pio 434/504 media box? I was reading some threads in these forums and I gather people were having a few problems with it at the end of last year.

What is the latest version of the media box software/firmware and how can I check that mine is up to date?

I've already had my media box replaced last week due to a problem with the clock, but it would be useful to be able ot check that it is up-to-date before I shell out on having Gordon or someone calibrate the screen.

Someone was saying last year that the media box needed to be replaced before having the screen calibrated properly.

Thanks in advance,
    Mat.

2. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I received my PIO 434 from JL last week. The Media unit was dated July 2004 and the clock worked fine.

However, the Plasma Display buzzed, so they have replaced the lot today.

Now the screen buzzes much less (still an audible buzz so the jury is still out on this one), and the Media box shows 4:55, I guess that means 5 hours since they installed it - probably about right.

Please don't tell me that I've gone from an OK Media Box to one with the Clock problem?? (i.e. older firmware). This media unit is also dated July 2004.

3. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you know the Media Unit is dated July 2004?

4. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The Sticky label with the serial number on the back tells you the manufacture month and year. One on both the Media Unit and the Plasma Display.

BTW, after manually tuning in the channels (why does the auto tune blatantly not work right!?) and switching the whole thing off for a few minutes, it synched to the time.

5. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep I discovered this, after I had the box replaced due to the clock not working. Made me wonder if replacing the box was a waste of time :)

Thanks for the info about the sticker, I'll check it out.

Cheers,
    Mat.

6. rcwtom

rcwtom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this problem with the clock as well, each time I turned off the box it would lose time, but once I tuned in the the channels, I saw a quick splash screen that said the time will sync with the first channel information..
    I'm guessing this is how its designed and there is nothing wrong with the media box.
    Have you guys tried HDMI yet.. picture is incredible.

7. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I have HDMI with the 868AVI amp, I thought pq was stunning when I first tried it with the screen on factory settings. However, I thought the screen was rather bright so I've been trying to tone it down without losing pq, having quite a bit of difficulty now with this as I find the picture is amazing with the contrast turned up, but keep hearing from people that I'm supposed to turn it right down.

8. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Why are Pioneer swapping them out then?

9. rcwtom

rcwtom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure why Pioneer are swapping them out.. well I'm quite happy with how its working and I don't want to change anything.. I also had a hard time getting the Pio deal out of JL..
    I've got an 868 Pioneer DVD as well and its a fantastic picture. I've got all the levels set quite low at the moment for the first 100-200 hours.. I'm sure the PQ will be much better once I turn up the contrast and brightness.

10. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    rcwtom,

Did you just get one from JL the other week? Does yours buzz? How many hours has yours done? (see my other thread).

11. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you find out how many hours it has done?

12. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    See the other thread "125 hours on my Brand New Pioneer 434", details inside.

Watch what you are doing in there BTW. Pioneer Customer Services mightily peeved that I went anywhere near that screen :D

13. rcwtom

rcwtom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I got mine from JL as well, but it was a bit of a struggle, I'm in London and ordered it over the phone from Solihull, they were happy to take my order and credit card details and give me an order number.. oh yeah and charge me £65 for delivery charge. Next day they decided to cancel my order and tell me to buy it in London, that was it, only explaination was that I couldn't buy from them in Solihull.
    I was mighty peeved at this, I complained to customer services in London head office, this took a few days, apparently it opened up a can of worms in their internal processes??? something about not being able to buy from other districts??
    Anyway to cut a long story short CS here in London got me one from their stock and gave me the price match..
    Whats really strange was that when I rang Solihull back on the same day that they cancelled my order was that they were out of stock and had put their prices back up.

Was even more stupid is that the London stock came out of the same warehouse in the Midlands that Solihull share???.

Anyway after a week of arguing with them.. I got it delivered free of charge.
    Mines only had about 6 hours on it and it was all my own time..And no it doesn't buzz.. well not that I can notice..

14. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Fancy a swap? :D

Seriously, when muted can you not hear a buzzing from the rear of the set?

15. rcwtom

rcwtom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have a listen tonight.. but I did see your earlier post about the buzzing a few days ago and I did listen for it..
    I'll confirm with you later tonight..

16. Cart

Cart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My clock kept time when I had an aerial connected. But without an aerial the time is just stuck.

Do Pioneer change the box for this?

My 343 does not buzz either.

Andy

17. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 434 gets the clock update direct from the aerial and therefore disconnecting it removes it's clock input. I doubt that Pioneer would swap the box as it is operating as it is designed to. Unfortunately it's not as us users want it to behave!

18. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just looked and mine is dated April 2004. Does this mean it is out of date and has problems that were later fixed?

Mat

19. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a replacement from Pioneer for the clock problem. The original box was dated May 2004 and didn't update the clock. The replacement sent by Pioneer was January 2004. I was a bit annoyed at this but at least it cured the problem. Unfortunately that box developed a fault which caused the screen to be turned off immediately after being turned on. Now on box 3 (via John Lewis) and this is April 2004. All OK with this but it is their demo box. Still waiting for a new replacement from John Lewis.

20. rcwtom

rcwtom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Checked my plasma. It has a faint buzz, but its not really noticable unless you stick you head near the back of the screen, it just sounds like a buzz that any other TV would make.

21. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks for the info, mine most definately had a problem then.