Pio 428 Connection question (re RGB Scart)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Don Guido, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Don Guido

Don Guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,

Am picking up my 428 today, will eventually be on Sky HD when the house move goes through, but for the moment will be stuck with regular Sky + which means I am stuck with Scart/Euro AV connectors for the TV.

My question is this: I have read about Scart RGB leads apparently producing a better picture than normal scart leads, but they don't carry sound. Does anyone know whether I can send the sound from the sky box to the tv via Toslink/optical cable? I know the sky box has one, but on Pioneer's website it describes the following:

Digital Optical Audio Out: 1

It's the OUT bit that concerns me. If I used a Scart RGB lead and a optical (Toslink cable) , would I end up with a nice picture, but no sound?

NB, I should add that also until I move, there is no Amp/Home Cinema box involved in the set up, just straight connections from the Sky box to the TV

Thanks for any help,

DG

2. AliG

AliG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DG,

I don't know who told you that SCART does not carry sound - it most certainly does - but only Dolby Surround, at best. Your only option is to use an RGB SCART until you acquire your Amp/Home Cinema. To answer your questions fully, you cannot send digital audio from the SKY+ Box to the TV - if you have a SKY HD box then you can, via HDMI. In the meantime, if you acquire an AV amp first you can feed the TOSLINK signal direct from the SKY box (or a DVD player) to your amp - this will give you up to 5.1 sound depending on the broadcast.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

AliG

3. Bungle1

Bungle1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont think all scarts carry sound. Whilst its true most do, some are not "fully wired" and carry video only. If you have a scart lead that does not transfer audio, get a new fully wired scart lead.

4. Don Guido

Don Guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Indeed, there will ultimately be a home cinema system involved, so it will be Sky HD and HDMI all the way baby!

For now however I will get a Scart that does RGB and audio. Having scoured the web, this one looks a likely candidate: QED - P2110

Thanks the help guys!

5. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    You can use an RGB scart, picture only for optimum quality, and then send the audio from Sky+,(red/white phonos), to the 428 audio input.

6. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Pretty much any SCART cable you buy will be fully wired.

7. Don Guido

Don Guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I ended up getting the QED lead that does all in one. Was a bit worried about not getting any sound (potentially)!