Pins missing from Preamp Module Section of Cambridge Audio A1

curty409

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

newly joined on recommendation for some advice.

I've recently bought a Cambridge Audio A1 and also bought a pre-amp module to install internally on the amp.
After receiving the amp, I've noticed that the pins are missing from the section where the module is supposed to slot in.

The wires are not broken where the module fits, so doesn't look like it's had one in previously and removed.

My question is, can this be resolved easily, or will it be a bit off a ballache?
I will be able to return the amplifier if it's deemed as faulty, which I feel missing pins from the board would fall under that.

There are plenty of other A1s out there to buy, so not end of world, however wanted this sorted for Christmas, which is closing in very quickly!
Please also find an image of the amp board, with missing pins...

Appreciate any help and thanks!
- Curt

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 223
Hi guys,

newly joined on recommendation for some advice.

I've recently bought a Cambridge Audio A1 and also bought a pre-amp module to install internally on the amp.
After receiving the amp, I've noticed that the pins are missing from the section where the module is supposed to slot in.

The wires are not broken where the module fits, so doesn't look like it's had one in previously and removed.

My question is, can this be resolved easily, or will it be a bit off a ballache?
I will be able to return the amplifier if it's deemed as faulty, which I feel missing pins from the board would fall under that.

There are plenty of other A1s out there to buy, so not end of world, however wanted this sorted for Christmas, which is closing in very quickly!
Please also find an image of the amp board, with missing pins...

Appreciate any help and thanks!
- Curt

Why it's clearly marked "Optional" so maybe the original buyer did not specify the option. Did the seller state it was fitted?

Google images show several instances of the same, so I'd suggest asking the question of CA. There were several revisions of the A1 so maybe there's an explanation.

But no, you don't have any claim against the seller.

Looks like the "optional" module has to be soldered to the motherboard?

Whoever fits it would need to know what links to cut or what other mods are needed to make it work.

That's why it says "to be fitted by authorised personnel only".

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!

the module is optional, but the pins themselves should be part of the board

the module then slides onto the pins and secured with a nut

could be the case that not all had pins on, and rather not go through the hassle of returning to seller as it was a bargain and in great condition.

thanks for the help, think I will be best looking for a spares amp to get the pins from to solder in

Cheers
- Curt

Just buy a project box or Rega a2d and plug it into one of the line level inputs. The A2D is pretty small and would hide behind the amp easily.

Just buy a project box or Rega a2d and plug it into one of the line level inputs. The A2D is pretty small and would hide behind the amp easily.

that would be last resort really.

I have managed to get hold of the pins though, which has kindly been sent out to me for free and looks like a very easy solder from the underneath of the board.

Fingers crossed it goes well, if not it will be a separate preamp

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom