1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinoneer D1011/D2011

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Daneel, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm going to return my SR 7300 due to problems explained in another thread. I'm looking for a replacement receiver and these 2 Pioneer models are top of the list.

I have a few queries and would be greatful for any input.

1. Will the Pioneer sound match well with my B&W 600 series speakers? What IS the Pioneer sound? I've never heard a Pioneer amp before.

2. I'm concerened about the shutdown problem some people have experienced with these recievers. Particularly so because I know my speakers can drop to 3-4 Ohms at some frequencies. Has anyone run one of these amps with B&Ws, any problems?

3. Can anyone find either of these receivers in stock or know when they will be? I only found stock of the 1011 at Techtronics and due to comments from people about their service I am not keen to buy from them.

4. Any comments on the remote control? I like the remote for the Marantz, I can control all my equipment from it (TV, VCR, DVD, CD, Digital box).

5. How do these recievers compare to the SR7300 in terms of sound, muscial/movie ability, etc.

6. Any opinions on the 2011 vs 1011 debate. Is the auto-setp feature worth an extra £155?

I can get them both from Hifibitz for £555 and £712 respectively using their 5% off voucher which runs out tomorrow.

I know that's a lot of questions. Please help me out and give any information you can.

Thanks

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I may have found the reason for they big delays on the 2011 at the moment:

Link to AVSForums

"As of Friday afternoon, Pioneer has stopped shipment and release of the current batch of 45TXs to replace the internal board inside the unit to correct the now infamous "shutting down" problem when the receiver is combined with speakers below 4 ohms. We can not ship ANY units we have, and new units will not be available for approx. 2 weeks. This is from EVERY authorized dealer nationwide, not just us. I will let you know you as soon as the new units arrive in! Again sorry for the delay, but an upgrade in firmware is well worth it"

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    *bump

No opinions?

I'm can't decide. This rumour about them possibly fixing the 4 Ohm speaker problem is bugging me.

I'm now also looking at the Arcam AVR200, the Rotel 1055 and the NAD 752.

I use my receiver for about 60% music, 20% TV/VCD (DPLII), 20% DVD.

4. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    According to Pioneer UK there is no problem. Don't forget the 46TX is the USA equivalent of the 2011.

5. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Acutally, it's the 45tx. There is no such thing as the 46tx. There is also the 43tx which is the 1011, the 47tx which we don't have an equilvlent for and the 49tx which is the AX10.

(I'm not trying to be cheeking, thanks for trying to help me.)

I called Pioneer UK and asked about my speakers and they said they would be fine. I'm not convinced, but now that they have said they will be fine, if it shuts down I'm not going to be happy.

6. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    You should have asked about the 2011 as well - they would have told you the problem is fantasy:)

7. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I don't know about in this country, but in the US the 45tx shut down problems are defintely NOT fantasy. Of the users I've seen post about it, 8/10 of them (I'm estimating here) got it to shut down well before reaching maximum volume, lots of them before they even got to 0 volume, lowest I saw was -9.

Go check out AVS Forum, it's all there.

8. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I don't live in the USA - I live in England where Pioneer have catagorically stated there is NO problem.

9. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I sincerely hope that both you and Pioneer are correct, I do after all have the 2011 on order. However they aren't likely to admit there being a problem are they?

They would be more likely to describe it as a "feature". From my understanding it is caused by over-zealous protection circuitry.

The reason I am going by what is happening in the US is because there are very few 2011 in this country compared to over there. We are only now seeing 2011s appearing in reasonable numbers.

I don't understand why you are taking, what seems to me, a very defensive attitude. I'm not attacking you or Pioneer, I'm just pointing out something that COULD be a problem for prospective buyers.

10. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I'm not being defensive. I have a 2011 and have personally spoken to Pioneer, so I am aware of the situation. They may well be telling porkies but I have no reason to think so. If they are and my 2011 is faulty it's still not a problem as it's under waranty anyhow.

That's all!!

11. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    4 ohm speakers coulf give problems if the units are identicalto the US 45tx.

8 ohm speakers shouldn't be a problem (but 8 ohm speakers like B&W 600 series can drive to a minimum of 3 ohm...)

Who knows....

12. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    That's exactly my point, it's not a "fault", it's a "feature".

Given you have the 2011, please share your experience with it.

What speakers are you running, have you tried pushing it to loud volumes to see if the problem exists?

Rather than saying Pioneer says there is no problem, I would be much better convinced and somewhat relieved if you could say, I played the Matrix lobby scene and a few tests CDs at +5 with no shut down problems.

Any other comments you could make on it would be appreciated, as I mentioned in the other thread I'm particularly concerned with stereo music.

Thanks!

[Edit] The Pioneer is 2011 is NOT (currently, there are rumours) designed for use with 4 Ohm speakers. The problems I have been talking about are for those running 8 Ohm speakers. If you have problems with this receiver and 4 Ohm speakers, it's your own fault for running the unit out of spec :p

13. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I have never had it above -10 for DVD and never will. That is more than I could stand at normal listening levels. I can *never* forsee a time when I would run it at +5. I have it around -25 for TV and any more is un-necessary.

14. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    How about the time when you can post and say "Daneel you are WRONG there are no problems!!" :D

I know what you are saying, I wouldn't listen above -10 in my current house either, but I just want to find out about this.

Someone else will test theirs, if not i should have my own to try in 2-3 weeks.

I had my SR7300 up to +5, no problem at all. I just want to know that if/when I move to a bigger place (current room is 24' x 13') my receiver won't be struggling to fill the place with sound.

Can you tell me what your speakers are please?

Any comments on the MCACC auto-setup? Most people seem to think it is a very useful feature, but others describe it as a gimmic.

15. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Speakers are Kef Q55.2's front, Kef Reference 100 centre and Kef 60s surrounds.

Calibration is excellent and makes a big difference. I've always used a sound level meter in the past but that only balances speaker levels, not delays etc.

16. dogastus

dogastus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I'm trying to find out what degree of overall delay you can program in. Will it compensate for the video delay you get on a Plasma Display?

17. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I think the delay you can set is fairly small.

The only receiver I know of that has a delay setting intended for use in syncronising with video is the Denon 3803.

18. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi Daneel,

I was looking for the same kind of setup my self but was going for the B&W 604 front, LRC 600 Center, rear's not decided yet as restricted for space on left hand side rear as this speaker would have to be placed above the living room door so need somethink small.

My room is 15'ft long x 12' ft wide.

What do you think of the sound of the B&W. Can't find any Hi fi shops that have one of these Pioneer's to try with the B&W set up so donot know what they sound like.

Hoping they will have one set up at the Bristol show. :confused:

Steve ;)

19. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I like my B&Ws. Although I think that the mid-range could be a little more prominant sometimes. I would have liked to listen to some Axioms or Paradigms, but they are very hard to find here.

To be honest, I think asking for speaker advice is a waste of time. Go and demo, buy what you like, no matter what anyone says. As for whether the B&Ws are a good match for the Pioneer, give me a few weeks and I'll be able to tell you.

You can see my system in my signature. The room the speakers are in is 24' by 13'. I get LOUD music at -15, as in any louder and my ears start to hurt. I think you may be going for overkill with the larger B&Ws in your room size.

I didn't demo the 603/4s but I did see someone suggest getting 603s with a sub is much better than just 604s.