1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pinnacle studio9 ???

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by fastpuma, Jul 21, 2005.

1. fastpuma

fastpuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, i have got my pinnacle studio 9 up and runnning, and i want to know why on earth does it take so long to transfer all my recordings from the mini dv tape to the hard drive? i mean i was on the laptop the other night waiting something like 4hours or so just waiting it to transfer the recordings over. i also tried nero to capture my cam, and i successfully burned it on to a dvd, only to find out the playback was rather awful, it was if everything was at double spped.. any advice guys cheers!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Transfer from a camcorder to a PC is done in real time - in other words, if you have a 1 hour recording then it will take 1 hour to capture the footage onto the PC. The camcorder will only play the tape at 1x speed, and the PC is working very hard to put that much data onto an IDE HDD, so any faster and you would start get loads of problems. The speed of the transfer has nothing to do with the software, so buying/using something else wont help.
    What format were you captureing the footage in? You should always capture as an AVI file. By the sounds of the 4 hour wait you were probably doing a conversion to MPEG which is not a good idea as the file will be highly compressed and therefore more difficault to edit.

Mark.

3. fastpuma

fastpuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark! i knew you be around when help was required. Being a complete novice on editing software, i just saved it as a avi file, then it took absolutely ages in transfering the data on to the hard drive, the recording is under an hour probably less than that. Once it has been captured it goes to the 2nd option which is edit, i dont normally have to edit anything so i just go straight to the 3rd option which is make movie of course, and that is when it takes so long. There are a few options such as TAPE AVI MPEG STREAM SHARE and lastly DISC which is the one i chose so i can burn on to a cd/dvd, but the other night it was rendering and it was on forever, after 4hours or so i just gave up hope. Have i done something wrong? thanks again Mark.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    When creating a disc you are converting the AVI files to MPEG-2 for DVD & MPEG-1 for VCD. The more detail there is in the video footage the more work there is for the codec to do to get it down in size. Also a lot depends on the specs of your PC, the more RAM and better processor will speed things up. Basically though it is just a matter of being patient. It is not uncommon for me to start the authoring and leave it running over night while I sleep. TBH a few hours for the authoring is to be expected, rather than being unusual!

Mark.

5. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Totally agreed.
    I use Pinnacle 9, my PC is an AMD2600 with 1Gig RAM, when I "make-a-movie", I usually do so just before going to bed and it's finished when I get up!
    It's a pain, but patience is the key.... at least you can rest in the knowledge that your processor is actully being "used" :)

6. fastpuma

fastpuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice guys! i just thought it was a little bit "unnormal" for it to run that long, i dont know if you guys have used nerovision express 3 to capture the camcorder, well i used that to capture my camcorder, the time was a little bit quicker than pinaccle but once i burned it on to a dvd the quality was'nt that great, it was like on double speed, i wonder what i did wrong there? because if i'm right i remember a while a go someone had a post saying that viewing playback on the harddrive was'nt that great but once they burned it on to a dvd it turned out to be fine, could it be my laptop that is not powerful enough?

2.60 cpu
    256 ram
    40gb
    i am running windows xp pro

ps:someone mentioned that i maybe need to upgrade my graphics card??? i dont think that is the solution ,plus i'am not so sure my laptop can be upgraded! excuse me be for being so naive. Thanks again for your great advice.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Forget about upgrading the graphics card, this will have absolutely nothing to do with the PQ on a DVD. The graphics is only used to display the video on the laptop, which will always look poor for video replay compare to a TV etc.

CPU is plenty good enough, so don't worry about that.
    Although upgrading a laptop is going to be expensive I strongly rrecommend you at least double the amount of RAM to 512Mb, or better still 1Gb if you intend to do more editing. You will also need more disc space as AVI files will eat up space. 1 hour of video will take approx 14Gb of space. As the space runs out you will start to get problems with the capture etc, and will still need more space for file conversion etc. Adding a 120Gb+ external HDD should be the cheapest option and should cost under £100. Just make sure you get a firewire case as USB2.0 can be problematic with video capture.

Mark.