1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinnacle Showcentre 2000 questions about jpegs & music

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by carefactornil, Jul 18, 2005.

1. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in getting one of these, but admit the technology baffles me a little, so I'm hoping someone can clear a couple of things up. :lease:

I have (on order) a HD-ready Pioneer 505XDE plasma. I want to be able to store all my digitial photos in one permanent place for viewing through the plasma. Could use flash cards but limited to space on those (I have a LOT of photos). I know you can connect the Showcentre to the Pioneer's media box (by component is best according to Pioneer). I would like to get an external HDD to put the photos on. What would I connect the Showcentre to the Hard Drive with? A USB connection? Are there any factors for buying an external drive? Was thinking of 160GB which leads to the other question...

I want to get the Cambridge Audio Azur 640h when it comes out. I'm concerned there's not going to be enough space on it, so may need an external HDD for that too, the same one as above. Are there any issues in terms of connections if I do both of these? i.e. I want the HDD to connect permanently to the 640H and to the Showcentre.

How do I get the information (photos from laptop, CDs from on the 640H) onto the HDD?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

I don't want a HTPC by the way - already have a laptop.

2. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Yes, the SC200 has a USB2 interface, so make sure you get a USB2 mass storage device (HDD).

Any external drive that is a mass-storage device should work, but no guarantees until you try it. I'm looking at getting a 250gb external drive.

Don't know if that's possible.

Plug the external USB HDD into your laptop, and drag/drop the photos onto the HDD.

To be honest, I'm not sure if the SC200 is the best solution if all you want to do is show photos on your HDTV. The SC200 is primarily intended as a device for streaming media that's stored in a PC already. For example, if the photos are on an external USB HDD, then you can only view one picture at a time, whereas if they're stored on the PC, you can create slideshows that show all the photos in sequence, with transitions, etc.

3. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cjpers - thanks for the reply.

Fair enough - I agree the device is capable of much more, but what's the alternative? I could get a PC (even more overkill!) but I already have a laptop (which is therefore not on all the time) and really don't want one. It's not that I'm PC-phobic - I work in IT.

The only other alternative I know of is to put the photos on flash card(s) and plug these straight into the 505XDE's media box. The disadvantage is that I can only leave 2gb worth of photos on there at a time and will have to switch cards over. Pioneer have said that (the ridiculously expensive) 4 & 8gb cards probably won't work because of the FAT issue, so it's 2gb max on this route and I have a lot more than 2gb worth of photos. :rolleyes:

The advantage with both of these methods is that it makes use of the HD element of the plasma.

You also mention:
    What is it that limits you to showing one picture at a time? i.e. no thumbnails?
    The blurb on Pinnacle's website says you can turn your pictures "slide shows, complete with subtitles and background music" - is this only if you have a PC and impossible with the set-up I describe?

Thanks again. :)

4. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    In their support forums, Pinnacle have described the limitations to using the USB2 interface, and have stated that "playing files off of a USB device in succession is on the wishlist"

5. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well, another dream dashed! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip anyway - looks like I'll have to go with 2gb memory cards plugged into the plasma and live with the "hassle" of getting up from the sofa occasionally to change them :eek:

At least that way I get the benefit of the HD and it leaves the component output free on the plasma media box for something else.

Unless anyone else has a different non-PC solution??

6. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    You could put all your photos on a DVD-ROM, and then use an IOData Linkplayer 2 - might work, but I'm no expert on the LP2 or other media devices with a DVD drive built in.

7. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    Chipped Xbox and XBMC will play slideshows of pics through ethernet or from internal HD...

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    How about the Liteon 2010 netplayer (£85 from SVP)
    It comes with a 54g wireless reciever, and can play 480p componant output.
    Plays pretty much any media you PC has, jpeg, mp3, DivX, Xvid

I have one and so far it's good.

9. childe

childe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If I get a Showcentre I will want to feed the content from my Maxtor NAS. I think this will have to be via the USB. If it is, then can anyone confirm whether the limitations of USB for this player have been fixed? ie could I run photo slideshows, and has the 90 second delay between some kinds of music tracks (variable bit rate MP3s I think) been fixed? I picked these issues up off the pinnacle forum from earlier this year, and they still seemed to exist at the end of March.

I also noticed the Pinnacle forum did not seem to have much recent activity, especially from Pinnacle themselves. How are they for support and firmware upgrades?

Thanks

10. xxxx

xxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I don't think there will be any new firmware or software from Pinnacle for the Showcenter 200 or 1000.

The technology is old and will soon be replaced by a newer chipset that is much more powerful.

11. childe

childe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As all the players I have reviewed seem to have serious shortcomings with at least 1 of the 3 media types (video, photo and music) I have decided to hold off for a while. There seems to be little point spending a few hundred pounds for a device that does not do what it is supposed to do. Hopefully more advanced hardware will overcome some or all of these limitations.

Thanks to all for your input.

Eric