1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinnacle Showcenter

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by shoehorn, Jan 22, 2004.

1. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I really want to get one of these: A Pinnacle Showcenter
    but have read that it is only on the 802.11b standard.
    I've looked all over to see if it'll be "upgraded" to the 802.11g or if there is something similar that is already 802.11g - but can't find anything.
    Anyone know if Pinnacle are going to upgrade?
    Or if there is an existing product at a similar price?
    Thanks.

2. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shame about it being only 802.11b. I would give it a couple of months and there will either be competing products with wireless-g support, or pinnacle will have upgraded the firmware.

The only product that supports wireless-g at the moment seems to be the netgear here but that seems to be an audio only device, and the outputs are analogue only.

Tony

3. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    they are currently working on an 802.11g update - it will come, but probably not until June/july time. They are waiting to see how it sells in the UK. In germany its been available for a while, and its doing very well indeed (being sold via Media Markt over there)

the SMC box found here supports 802.11 a/b/g, but in my opinion the pinnacle is the best box at the moment.....

Dont get too carried away about needing .g This is a common misconception.

If you want to stream a good quality MPEG4 movie, the 5-6Mb throughput offered on .b is adequate for a single stream.

i am talking from experience as ive evalutated numerous media adaptors.

If you are in no hurry id sit tight, there are a LOT of products with this functionality hitting the market in 2004. Also these features will appear in DVD Player and high end televisions, particularly LCD/Plasmas in the not to distant future.

Hope this helps.
    kev

4. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks for the replies gents... looks like I'll be sitting tight for a while....
    The best thing about "gadgets" such as these is the fact that even the Mrs is plesed to get one as there are no wires running round the house...!! :smoke:

5. YahooSerious

YahooSerious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or you can get one of these and plug the Showcenter into that. Would run a little more expensive than a G card, but not much.

People need to start thinking out of the box to be honest.

-Yahoo