1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinnacle PCTV Widescreen Sampling

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by BobSpoons, May 23, 2005.

1. BobSpoons

BobSpoons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,

Hope im posting this in the right area...*grin*

I have a Pinnacle PCTV card to transfer my existing VHS collection to DVD's (& I honestly do mean back-up copies of genuine bought VHS's that I own and cant afford to buy the whole collection again on DVD)

Normally this works fine but I have come to try and do a widescreen vhs.

The picture seems to only inmport as normal aspect ration with the black bars at top and bottom being part of the picture.
    If I change the aspect ration within the PCTV software then all it does is keep the black bars but stretch the picture.

To be able to capture the widescreen I need to be able to either crop the incoming signal so that it just shows the proper widescreen area or I need to be able to send the signal from the VHS in a way that the PCTV recognises that it doesnt have black bars on top and bottom.

Please could anyone help me if they know anything about whether this problem can be solved and if so, how to solve it. I really would be so gratefull.

Quite a percentage of my 20 year VHS collection is widescreen... Would so love to be able to back them up like the others and bung the originals in the loft.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Kindest Regards

Alex (BobSpoons)

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    What I think you are asking is if you can capture your 4x3 letterboxed vhs and turn it into anamorphic 16x9.

Simple answer...no you can't. (well you could crop it and then do a non-square resize to 720 by 576.... much more hassle thna just buying it on dvd to be honest)

Best thing to do is treat them as standard 4x3 and use a zoom mode on playback.

3. BobSpoons

BobSpoons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for the advice.

The zoom idea is a good one but one of my dvd players doesnt have zoom (though the other one does).

May I ask if you have any idea how I can perform the crop function you mentioned? Is there a particular bit of software that I could use?

I agree it would be easier to re-buy on DVD but my collection is so large it would cost me a fortune and I cant really justify all that expense on something ive allready bought once :)
    I keep trying to just be satisfied with the VHS's but not only are some of my older ones degrading, I only have the one player and its heads need constant cleaning.

My pinnacle and nero writing software I "think" both have an option to write in 16:9 format so im guessing that if I can perform the cropping function to remove the black bars, the software would do the rest when I write the DVD.

Thanks again for the advice and I hope that you or some other kind person may be able to help me further.

Cheers

Alex (BobSpoons)