1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinnacle 7 to VCD/SVCD

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by PanMan, May 2, 2002.

1. PanMan

PanMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having edited my movie, and outputted it to SVCD format via the Make Movie option on Pinnicle 7, I am left with a large MPG on my HD. I have copied this over to a CDR via Adaptec EasyCD 3.5c and put it in my Wharfedale M5, but although the display on the front of the M5 says it is trying to play a VCD, it will not go beyond the Wharfedale welcome screen, and play my movie. Can anyone help? Am I not copying the correct files? My players manual does state that the machine will play both VCD and SVCD discs.

2. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VCD and SVCD need a special directory structure and various files present. Go to good old http://www.vcdhelp.com for information on burning these formats.

I used TMPGEnc to make my SVCD MPEG file and VCDEasy to burn it. The quality was much better than the Pinnacle codec.

My Acoustic Solutions DVD will play a CD with just the MPG file, but you lose the ability to fast forward.

HTH

Steve

3. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Roxio EasyCD will not write SVCD only VCD. You need the Deluxe Version, which contains VCD Creator, to set up the special file structure. The file must also be a compatible MPEG1 for VCD. EasyCD will chech the file.

For SVCD use Nero, and the files must be MPEG2.

Steev is right, especially for VCD use TMPGEnc to encode to MPEG1 for maximum quality. It is better than the S7 encoder, but much slower to get the better quality.

4. PanMan

PanMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Steev and JefUK

http://www.vcdhelp.com/ is an excellent website, and probably essential for anyone making thier own movies. I now have both VCDEasy and TMPGEnc, and have just watched my first home-made SVCD of my hols on my DVD player - thanks!