Pink Triangle (lpt) Any Good?

Rich666

Established Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, has anyone owned one of these turntables? What is the general opinion? Are they a good buy on the S/H market? Most of the ones I’ve seen have had the rega RB250 arm fitted and are about the £300 mark (new rega P3 territory) any help would be appreciated.

Cheers :D

Pink Triangle were considered by some to be a rival for the Linn Sondek, but that was a long time ago. I've no idea if they kept developing the deck - Linn certainly did. Maybe that's what killed off the LPT?

Did they all come with the translucent acrylic platter?
I think that, and the name, put a lot of people off.

I had one for a brief period, a very good turntable but I have no idea about spares etc. £300 for a first class turntable seems very good value to me

All PT are good, the only problem is keeping them alive as they are notoriously prone to self destruction and you might struggle getting spares. A better bet might be a Roksan Xerxes (with a unwarped arm board) you should be able to pick one up with an RB300 or 250 for about that money and Roksan still look after them (infact you can get a plinth upgrade to the later X10 as an option).

Bit off topic I know but, I believe Arthur Khoubesserian (founder of Pink Triangle) has just started production of a new range of turntables and as to be expected they don't comply to any usual naming conventions being marketed under the brand "The Funk Firm". I'm looking forward to hearing the reports on these!

Paul

PS. to get back on topic, I'd rather put the money toward a TT's that is in current production, both in terms of reliability (spares) and resale value, still give loads of SH options.

thanks for all the help guys, i think i'll take your advice and buy a TT thats in current production perhaps an exdem rega P5. I'm not in a rush so i'll just keep an eye out. Cheers

Personally i wouldn't be so hasty. The Pink Triangle was an excellent deck in its day and i would venture that it will more than be able to hold its own against a modern deck, of the likes of the P5.

As to the spares situation, i think there's a bit of alarmism going on here!! The deck only consists of a plinth, lid, motor, platter, switch, some simple circuitry and a rubber band! There really isn't much to go wrong with it, as it has no known common faults that i'm aware of (like the sagging armboards on the Xerxes for example) so i wouldn't fret over whether a replacement lid hinge will still be available in 2017! :rolleyes:

Go on - give it a go!! :thumbsup:

The LPT (Little Pink Thing) was Pink`s competitor to the Linn Axis - and was judged by nearly all to be a much better deck than the Axis. It was Pink`s entry-level deck and no match really for the Sondek, and that`s even if the Linn sound wasn`t your bag.

Their more expensive decks were *spectacularly* unreliable in all areas. The most reliable was the LPT - it approached normality for reliability. It came in either a nextel topped plinth or a nice glossy one (more expensive).

It was a very nice mid-price deck (and still is) but the Gyrodek, LP12, Xerxes and magnificent PT Anniversary are definitely a whole league above it.

Arthur is indeed at `The Funk Firm` now and in good spirit it seems. Top bloke.

Yes and it looks like a complete service for older PT decks (even the re-introduction of some) will be available at some stage - still not for those that like life in the mainstream though!

http://www.thefunkfirm.co.uk/

Paul

Lost Cause said:
The LPT (Little Pink Thing) was Pink`s competitor to the Linn Axis - and was judged by nearly all to be a much better deck than the Axis. It was Pink`s entry-level deck and no match really for the Sondek, and that`s even if the Linn sound wasn`t your bag.

Their more expensive decks were *spectacularly* unreliable in all areas. The most reliable was the LPT - it approached normality for reliability. It came in either a nextel topped plinth or a nice glossy one (more expensive).

Little Pink Thing - opps, I was thinking of the 'Pink Triangle', sorry for any confusion.

£300 would also get you an Elite/Townshend Rock btw

Londondecca said:
Little Pink Thing - opps, I was thinking of the 'Pink Triangle', sorry for any confusion.

£300 would also get you an Elite/Townshend Rock btw

And £450 will buy you the 'Funk', AK's latest offering and judging by it's looks these may appear discounted or ExDem after a while - definitely not to everyone's taste - though I quite like it!:)

Paul

Thanks for all the help guys, as usual the wealth of knowlege on this site astounds me! :eek: However i've just had a god awful day at work so i think for the mo i'll just crack open a beer sit back and listen to some good music on my current deck :smashin:

Lost Cause said:

It was a very nice mid-price deck (and still is) but the Gyrodek, LP12, Xerxes and magnificent PT Anniversary are definitely a whole league above it.

Arthur is indeed at `The Funk Firm` now and in good spirit it seems. Top bloke.
Thanks for that info Lost Cause, you saved me the bother!

If you were looking in that price range and wanted to go second hand then I would go slightly cheaper and check out the Manticore Mantra. These were excellent decks for their day, well built, and still capable of going on strong for a while yet. I sold one to m8 of mine 12 years and it's never missed a beat to this day. The LPT was indeed intended to rival the Axis, and, as LC says, it was the better deck.

PT's were unreliable, and you quite often see them as "repair project" Ie the owner can't get the spares or sort out the problem.

As above look for a Xerxes, Gyro or LP12 if you want a decent second hand deck - that will still last more than a few years. The PT anniversary is rare and an expensive beast even on flebay.

Still running an original PT 1 which I bought new about 25 years ago :) Went out to buy a Linn Sondek as recommended by all and sundry, preferred the PT sound.

Had the PT Too motor upgrade carried out in about 15 years ago.

The LPT was a fantastic deck in it's day and would be worth trying at the right price, I understand the suggestion to go with a current deck, the Michell Tecnodec is worth a listen.

Have a look here
www.walrus.co.uk

Gus

Rich666 said:
Like the title says, has anyone owned one of these turntables? What is the general opinion? Are they a good buy on the S/H market? Most of the ones I've seen have had the rega RB250 arm fitted and are about the £300 mark (new rega P3 territory) any help would be appreciated.

Cheers :D

Be very very careful when buying this deck & other PT's for that matter.There is a jeweled inverted bearing that is proned to chipping on the tip they are pretty fragile (tell tale platter wont get upto speed for a while,the seller may tell you it's the belt,don't believe him).There's two different version of this deck..one standard & one with an GTO power supply upgrade.You can tell the GTO by the milky acrylic control knob that uluminates pink or green when switching over .Quite a nice sounding deck but is no match for the 'Anniversary'..The 'LPT' does'nt have a suspension like the others either.

PT's are pretty much safe to say are trouble period,unreliable to a 'T' The GTO power supply is a big improvement but get's very very hot,if fact too hot,but it does use the common garden AC PREMOTEC (AIRPAX) sync motor,another thing PT were good at not making there mind up at, were settling on a AC or DC motor for the best.

Saying all this Arthur Koubersarrian (PT old Director) still services to old machines but at cost i spoke with him over a year ago when designing the then prototype 'FUNK' deck in which his new company should be active by now.

Andy...

HI

Nah, the Pink Triangle's crap. Very unreliable and prone for the motors giving up. But there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Parts are plenty from the Funk Firm.

So anyway, don't think of buying one on Ebay, unless you want to pay a massive bill!

All the best

JAZZ:eek:

HI

Nah, the Pink Triangle's crap. Very unreliable and prone for the motors giving up.

JAZZ:eek:

What garbage. You've obviously never owned one.

I bought an LPT + Rega arm + Ortofon MC cartridge in 1996. It was excellent. In 1997 I inherited some money and moved up to an Anniversary + SME V + Lyra Lydian, selling the LPT to a friend. The rest of my system is Audiolab 8000 pre and power amps and Mission 773s - so fast and neutral.

The Anniversary has been in use every day since then. It has never gone wrong at all and has only needed 2 regular services to maintain it - no major work. It sounds utterly amazing; the Linn LP 12 and Gyrodec sound like a bag of nails by comparison. My friend still uses his LPT and it works perfectly: though its performance is excellent for the price it does fall a bit short of the Anniversary.

Most of the myths about PT unreliability are spread by people who have never owned one and recycle rumours and (being honest) lies. I know 5 other owners and none have experienced any major problems.

My advice is if that you can find a good, well looked after LPT at a sensible price, you should get it. Ignore the uninformed gainsayers.

Agreed!

I've had one for 20 odd years but not used for the last 5 or 6 years. When working it was superb. However, if the motor needs replacing it is dam expensive to do so. I think this is due to the non usage for that period of time which cause my motor to fail. It spins but not strong enough to spin the platter

Love the acrylic platter.

The GTO power supply is a big improvement but get's very very hot

Andy...

No it doesn't. If it gets hot (and I've never known one that has), it is faulty in some way. My own has run regularly for 13 years at completely normal temperatures without problems.

Myths, myths myths!

The LPT I don't know about but I wouldn't touch it's big brother. Even forgetting the ridiculously fragile bearing, if you've ever seen inside one you'll know why. It's a mental design that's very shoddily executed.

If the LPT using the same bearing design as the PT/PT Too that would be enough for me to avoid it.

I bought a complete second hand system years ago including kef reference speakers, quad amps and nakamichi tape deck. It came with a Pink Traingle turntable but unfortunately I didn't get to use it much as the rubber band kept slipping. I can only assume that it sounded as good as the rest of the equipment.

Think I'd better go into my profile and turn off email notifications - old thread resurrection is a bit of a pain. So a post in 2008 (to a 2006 post) to say the LPT is c##p and another in 2011 in response to the 2008 post. You guys spend far too much time searching the net and not enough listening to music.

As to the LPT - get a good CDp or music streaming set-up, you know it makes sense.

;¬)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom