1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pink tinged display

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mepsipax, Oct 24, 2004.

1. mepsipax

mepsipax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

I recently purchased a Toshiba 36zd26 TV.

I used Avia Home Theater setup disk to calibrate, and I thought I had done this correctly.

Trouble is if we watch anything in black and white, either Sky or DVD (panasonic E55), it all looks slightly purple/pink.

This was also evident in a DVD (colour) I just attempted to watch, the colours seemed wrong.

Otherwise the TV has been working perfectly so just need to get this right.

Help appreciated

2. mepsipax

mepsipax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Update - I tried playing a DVD with loads of white in the background (Ice Age) to see if the pink/purple colouring showed up on that.
    It didn't, it seems to be confined to the darker colours, for instance people with black hair seem to have purple highlights!

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced similar problem with their TV setup ie the black or dark colours having a purplish tinge?

Thanks

3. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That appears to be the low light adjustment - RCUT/BCUT/GCUT - My guess would be a combination of RCUT and to a lesser degree BCUT too high. Or maybe GCUT is too low, LOL! But anyways that's where I think the problem lies.

4. mepsipax

mepsipax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Thanks for the reply. OK if it is this RCUT/BCUT thing, is there any way I can fix it myself via the service menu, or another method? Or will I need an engineer to sort it?

5. mepsipax

mepsipax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    OK I decided to try this myself by accessing the service menu.

I found the RCUT and BCUT and adjusted them, making sure to write down the original config.

Saved and exited, now the colours seem loads better.

Just wondered, as I had to guess at how much to lower the above by, if any forum members have this TV (and have previously accessed the service menu) and happen to have the RCUT BCUT and poss GCUT numbers for me to compare?

Thanks

6. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's pretty irrelevant because all CRT's have different drive and cut-off levels. Only if you have to set them very low or high would indicate you may have a problem.

What levels did you end up with?

7. mepsipax

mepsipax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

The original settings on the TV were - RCUT 0410H 40H

and - BCUT 0412H 48H

I have now changed these to - RCUT 0410H 28H

and - BCUT 0412H 41H

So far the colours on the TV are vastly improved, as explained previously, we were experiencing lots of pink/purple lowlights in everything we watched - especially noticeable in black and white viewing.

Not sure if I have adjusted the RCUT BCUT enough or too much, but not having anything to compare to I had to rely on what I thought looked right.

8. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In theory it should be ok...may have knocked out the highlights a bit but if you're whites are still white then don't touch em!