1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pink patches on Sony screen..

Discussion in 'TVs' started by sjw, Jan 12, 2005.

1. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    I've got a Sony 32nx200 idTV. It's probably just under 2 years old and was around £1500.
    On the right hand side and bottom right corner there are a couple of patches that when the screen is red (esp. on the beginning of BBC programmes..) show up pink.
    I've turned the TV off and on a few times (auto degauss??) and unplugged overnight but they're still there :-(
    I've had a look in the service menu but can't see any manual degauss - is there one?
    Has anybody got any suggestions? There is a quality shielded home cinema speaker (Acoustic Energy) about a foot away (same on the left but no problem there) and it's not near any source of heat/window.
    So, any ideas?
    ste

2. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Well, I had a similar problem on two brand new Panasonics (which needless to say went back to Currys and I now have a brilliant Sony set).

It certainly sounds like some form of magnetic interference. As you probably know, turning the set off (not standby) and restarting it after about 10 mins or so should degauss it. I am not aware if you can manually do this from the service menu (I don't think you can)

If you are still finding problems, perhaps just try moving any speaker you may have near it away and see if that changes the patches of discolourment. I know you say it's a magnetically shielded speaker, but just try it out of curiosity if you haven't done already)

Other than that, I am not sure. You could perhaps get someone to manually deguass it with a special "wand" - usually only tv engineers can do this - whilst you can attempt this yourself with a strong magnetic to try and "comb away" the patch, I would strongly advise against this.

Hope you can get it sorted - I know how frustrating and annoying those corner patches are - once you know they are there you are constantly looking for them - and they are quite evident on bright/white or red backgrounds

Paul

3. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    HI, just a quick bit of clarification of Paul's post if I may ? when Paul refers to using a strong 'magnetic' to try and 'comb away' the patch - you must use an AC magentic field (ie mains generated) you must never place a permanent magnet near the crt as this kind of magnet will actually induce a magentic field into the crt - not clear it away. Hope you don't mind me 'butting in' Paul ? didn't want sjw to make the currrent situation any worse. Regards, yt.

4. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Red....like a hairdryer? I've got a 10yr old panasonic that has a slight patch.

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Apparently you can use a hairdryer, although a proper de-gaussing coil is easier.

As always it's best to use the right tool for the job! :lesson:

6. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You speak the truth TG.....unfortunately I seem to have lost my de-gaussing coil :D

7. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  8. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Thanks for the replies all :)
    The interference isn't in the same area where the speaker is.
    What would be the replacement for this TV now? The 32DX200? That's a lot cheaper though than the nx200 is/was and doesn't have the memory stick slot. That HQ100 looks lovely but no digi tuner :-( shame only one stand though.