1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pink NW-HD3 Recall... Apparently...

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Gemini-Phoenix, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just developed a fault with my HD3 ~ It powers up, but seconds later it cuts out. I originally believed I had run out of juice (Although I swear it was fully charged), so I charged it up again...

Went to listen to it this afternoon, and cuts out again...

I took it into the Sony Centre, and they informed me that the Pink models (Early first releases) had a design fault where there was some loose wire inside which stops power from reaching the unit...

Apparently though, it's just the pink models which are affected. I am truly gutted.

At least I won't loose all the music off it, as I have it all on my PC hard drive anyway. Let's just hope they don't realise I have de-restricted it ~ Although I doubt that would really have any affect on my warranty or anything.

:rolleyes:

2. JB5

JB5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  3. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A ha! Thanks for the link! The sales clerk in the shop was searching for about ten minutes for it! Lol!

Yes, it is limited to units with a certain serial number, but I believe the serial numbers are limited to the Pink ones (Well, that's what the guy in the Sony Centre said)

I shipped mine off to Sony UK this morning. They say it should take around 10 days, so I will report back on their service when I receive it back to me.

That's quite a lot of units though. 30,000 to be precise across Europe. Nice of them to make these product recalls easially accessable (A huge link on the main page would've been nice)

At least anyone else with a Pink HD3 is now aware that if their unit falls within this seral number range, then they should expect it to go faulty...

4. JB5

JB5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

Yes, it's not the easiest of sites to navigate is it!

Another page that you might find useful is -

http://www.sonydigital-link.com/DNA/NWHDD/NWHDD.asp?l=en

Hope the repair goes well.

5. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The only thing I have worries about is:

When I get it back, how will I be able to tell if they have put it back to factory settings or not? I recently unrestricted it (As no doubt everyone on here has), but have no way to tell if it will be the same as when I sent it off, or whether they will reset it back to what it used to be...

They may not even access the data. It may just be a case of opening it up, fixing the problem, and closing it again. Obviously they will have to test it afterwards to make sure it is in fact fixed, but I doubt they'll have to wipe the drive or anything like that.

If it happens again though while it's still in warranty, i'll be demanding a brand new replacement, that's for sure!

6. JB5

JB5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Haven't needed to turn off the volume lock on mine, but I guess you could simply reapply the mod. The sequence of button presses are listed on this site.

EDIT - See the sticky link on the first page.

7. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, got my unit back today. Works fine, which is to be expected I suppose.

Although, I do have one gripe, and that is: They shoved a massive sticker on the back (Obviously for identifying purposes) which took me the best part of ten minutes to remove due to the strong adhesive. The sticler was as big as the unit itself, and naturally I didn't wish to keep it on there.

Also, I sent the unit inside the original packaging (As requested) inside a strong cardboard box, and requested that they returned it in the same condition which I purchased it in. They did not, and decided to return it to me in a simple recorded delivery bag, with no protection whatsoever.

Needless to say the crushed packaging says a lot for what they think about their customers, especially ones as loyal as myself. You'd have thought they'd at least have the decency to return it in the same packaging I sent it to them in, or at least spend five minutes making sure it was suitably wrapped to prevent the postie from squashing it. :mad:

8. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Was the unit damaged then?

9. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No, but that's is so not the point. I shipped to them my unit inside the retail packaging (As I was instructed to do) - Everything was in pristine condition when I sent it. The least I expected was to have MY property treated respectfully, and returned in the very same condition that I sent it away in.

I don't care if to some people "It's only an f'in box" - To me, the packaging is part of the product. A product I paid good money for. It's all about respect for other people's property, something Sony had none of.

10. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shame on sony, thats terrible. Especially leaving the Sticker on there.

11. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Upon closer inspection, I just discovered two vertical scratches on the LCD underneath the casing, which were most definitely not there before I sent it away.

These marks could have only been done with the casing off, which narrows it down to last week whilst it was being repaired, as I have not removed the casing for any reason.

Methinks I shall be packing it back up and sending it off for a replacement LCD by the looks of it.

Anyone got an eMail address for Sony customer services?