Pink Floyd:Pulse + DVD27A

I would have thought that any issues are more likely to lie with the receiver or processor. The DVD player should be able to read any DD track and just output it as a bitstream signal.

FYI, I heard several mention the 640kb track didn't work on one player but worked on another (same prepro). ;)

Crustyloafer said:
I would have thought that any issues are more likely to lie with the receiver or processor. The DVD player should be able to read any DD track and just output it as a bitstream signal.
How do you prove you're getting a bitstream output from a DVD player?? With that particular DVD played on a Denon 2900 into an Arcam AVP700 via either analogue in or digital in I get no sound...:confused:

EDIT:Crusty, are you able to hook up a player that you know will play the 640Kbps track to the AVP700 (or even an AVR300/350 if it's the same DSP) to at least prove it will play if sent the signal. I'd assumed perhaps wrongly that because the Denon seems unable to decode internally, it was also the culprit for not sending the bitstream either.

I'll have a look at what players sofar gave problems...

Marantz DV6400
Marantz DV9500
Pioneer DV-737 (on Tag av32dp, works using another dvd-player)
Pioneer DV-717 / DV-757 ?? (rumored)
Pioneer 868

works fine on my arcam dv79 and avr300 :thumbsup:

From what I've read about this so far, it appears that all receivers/processors invariably support 640kbs DD, it's the abiliy of players to read it that appears to be patchy.

Ian, if you are not getting anything via analog, then I think that's fairly conclusive that the problem is in the player.

Paul, thats encouraging for the DV27A then.

Allan

I tried Pulse on my DV27 last night before seeing this thread- no sound from the 640kbs track and the picture froze. OK when playing standard track. Output via digital connection to Arcam FMJ22 + DAVE.

I have a sony725 and sony 735- will try them later to see if any play the higher bitrate track...

rkb,

That's not good news, now I've got to hope that there is some differeence between the 27 and 27A that allows 640kbs to be read.

My copy still hasn't arrived yet but hoping to see it here tomorrow.

Allan

DV27- tried digital coax and optical leads- 448kbs is OK, no sound on 640kbs. With 640kbs, the A22+DAVE display reads Unknown Digital Input.

just had a wee play with the Sony 725 (which has a Bit-rate counter).

Couldn't get anything using optical but by using Digital coax I got stereo and 5.1 448kbs tracks ok. Sony bit rate was reading 448kbs.
When switching to 5.1 640kbs track , like before I got no sound and display again reads Unknown Digital Input but also intermittently shows Dolby Digital 3/2.1

Sony bit rate was reading 640kbs!

It appears the Sony was reading the higher bit rate and no reason to believe it is not outputting 640kbs... so perhaps the A22+DAVE just doesn't recognise it. If that is the case, maybe the DV27 is reading it OK, but the amp doesn't see it. Or maybe the Arcam software in both is not 640kbs ready? Any views on whether a firmware upgrade would be available, considering that newer Arcam products seem to play Pulse at 640kbs?

Maybe I spoke too soon about the problem residing in players only but I got my information from this thread on AVS:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=616611&page=8&pp=30

See post #219:

My guess would be the player.
This is correct. ALL Dolby Digital receivers and outboard decoders are mandated to decodes DD bitrates up to 640 kb/s.

D-VHS uses DD 576kb/s. The X-Box and HD-DVDs formats often output DD 640kb/s.

But as mentioned previously, given the DD specs for DVD were set at a max of 448kb/s, there is no official requirement for *any* DVD player to decode or even pass through anything past the DVD spec, although many still do so.

rkb, If the DV27 or Sony has 5.1 analogue outputs perhaps you could use those into your amp. Or, if you were simply curious to see if the players really are reading the track, downmix to 2-channel analog just to see.

Hopefully my disk should arrive tomorrow and I'll try it with the DV27A into my Denon AVC-A1SR

Allan

Allan

:hiya: My Denon 2200 will not read the higher bit rate either, but my malata does. Go figure.:eek:

Denon DVD-3910+AVR-3806 via Denon Link 3. 640kbs, no problem. Absolute bliss - second only to being there. Oh! I was and on the Momentary Lapse tour, twice!

Russell

russ.will said:
Denon DVD-3910+AVR-3806 via Denon Link 3. 640kbs, no problem. Absolute bliss - second only to being there.

From people with (very) decent equipment I heard the sound is not all that good, certainly not up to the standards set by David Gilmour in Concert.

last night I tried the DV27 & Sony725, outputting 640kbs through analogue-

Sony725 played it, but DV27 didn't, then it froze again!

I won't be changing equipment for the sake of one DVD- but it makes you wonder how many 640kbs discs will be released in future.

? I'm also curious why the DV27 plays Superbit DVDs as supposedly higher bit rates, but not Pulse?

rkb

My disk still hasn't turned up and first thing in the morning I'm off on holiday for a week. Will report back next weekend.

Not sure how often we're going to see 640kbs DD used on DVD in the future but here's a nice quote from Roger Dressler of Dolby Labs posting in the following thread on AVS:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=698620&highlight=640

[Post #47]There is indeed a clearly discernable difference in openness and transparency between DD+ 768 vs DD at 448. DD at 640 is not identical to DD+ 768, but it is extremely close. I hope you get a chance to hear some 640 streams soon.

Allan

Played at 640 in my 27A just fine, using coax and my pre/pro is an EAD 8800. Played disc 1 in it's entirety without a pic or sound glitch. Still have yet to watch disc 2.

rkb said:
last night I tried the DV27 & Sony725, outputting 640kbs through analogue-

Sony725 played it, but DV27 didn't, then it froze again!

Maybe your software version for the DV27 could be a problem?

I was also thinking it may be the software....

My Arcam A22 has gone back to Arcam today to have a fault in the subwoofer channel fixed (had the fault long before Pulse!) and I've asked them to look into the Pulse 640kbps issue.

Hopefully some newer firmware that the DV27A or other players use will allow me to upgrade and hear Pulse in higher resolution.

rkb

FYI plays fine at the higher bitrate on my DV88+ (& brings back great memories-I was there too!!). I wouldn't expect the quality to be as good as David Gilmour in Concert given the relative age of the Pulse gig. Hope you sort the problem soon. :hiya:

my mate has a panasonic dvd recorder linked up to a yamaha av57 amp/speaker package and even he can play the 640kbs track :confused:

to add to my previous post ... my arcam dv79 & avr300 are connected by coaxial .. with no probs what so ever :smashin:

Ettepet said:
From people with (very) decent equipment I heard the sound is not all that good, certainly not up to the standards set by David Gilmour in Concert.

I would not necessarily put myself in that class of equipment, but i have to say I have been completely underwhelmed by the quality of the picture and even more underwhelmed by the sound mix, in any guise.

gpa said:
I would not necessarily put myself in that class of equipment, but i have to say I have been completely underwhelmed by the quality of the picture and even more underwhelmed by the sound mix, in any guise.
I know what you mean, had the same experience a couple of times with different titles.

Not everyone uses the same criteria to determine a 'good' recording. Your setup also might be less forgiving with this particular sound mix. ;)

I was reading your signature, and how it ends. I just paid money for some mega-dollar stereo speakers, and now I'm broke too. :D :cool:

Ettepet said:
I know what you mean, had the same experience a couple of times with different titles.

Not everyone uses the same criteria to determine a 'good' recording. Your setup also might be less forgiving with this particular sound mix. ;)

I was reading your signature, and how it ends. I just paid money for some mega-dollar stereo speakers, and now I'm broke too. :D :cool:

Yep I agree, horses for courses, just a little disapointed, having been at the very show, the sound/show was astounding, I think my expectations were set a little to high, rather like i was:devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom