Pink Floyd - Live in Pompei

PaulBoy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I noticed that this DVD is comming out in Oz on 17th September 2003 whereas the UK release isnt until 10th October 2003 [strange that it is also already out in Germany - found it at amazon.de - as it appears to be the same R2/R4 disc - why all the different release dates ?]
Paul ;)
PS Anyone hoping for a 5.1 mix will be dissappointed [audio is English Dolby Digital 2.0 (224Kb/s) only] but the review here is quite upbeat about the whole DVD package ...
http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ID=3325

Cheapest I have found is CD-Wow for a "R0" disc apparently. Same release date as Oz.

if you go to www.brain-damage.co.uk you will find all sorts of stuff about Floyd and the DVD. I think there was an explanation of release dates as well.

Rog

Ordered my copy off cdwow the other day.. ships on the 17th.. cant wait, have had the VHS live at pompeii for a fair few years now, and my one gripe was always the crappy sound quality.. (and the fact i dont have a vhs player anymore). Either way roll on sep 17th :)

Pulse, Pulse, wherefore art thou Pulse ?:confused: :(

I am sure I read somewhere that james Guthrie (bloke who mixed DSOTM SACD) has been working on the 5.1 mix of Pulse and they were hoping to get it out before the end of 2003. So first part of 2004 is possible then :)

Rog

Just hoping its during my lifetime now.

Thats the bloke. He is a long time PF colaborator I think.

Will keep my eyes open for Pulse info.

Rog

EXCELLENT. Just checked out brain-damage.co.uk and the info is there.

Nice 1 Newbie

Pulse: tremendous news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adz

:thumbsdow Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo :thumbsdow

Info at brain-damage nows says that Pulse has been delayed till next March.

Well I've watched the live at pompeii dvd a few times now, the video quality is stunning compared to the original, I can't say I prefered the new audio though, it seemed a bit more muffled to my ears... and its an easy a/b test as well because not only is the new directors cut (there are new scenes in it which are a bit odd if you're very familiar with the original) on the dvd but the original is there as well! (albeit without the enhanced video).

The extras I thought were a bit thin on the ground, but there is a rather good interview with the director (goes on for over half an hour), about how the idea came about, and the various complications during shooting.. prety interesting anyway.

As with the original VHS, if you like Floyd you'll love it, if you don't you won't :)

Originally posted by kwangomango
:thumbsdow Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo :thumbsdow

Info at brain-damage nows says that Pulse has been delayed till next March.

:rolleyes:

What an audio/visual treat this would be.

We've waited long enough, so a few more months aint gonna get me reaching for the razors.

Spligsey

EDIT

I think i'm gonna get the VHS copy out tonight to console myself:)

I'm going to the Dark Side Of The Moon;)

I'm still waiting for Play.com to ship my copy of Pompeii. I've never pre-ordered before, so I thought I'd get it in well in advance, but it seems to be taking for ever.

I've mailed them to say that I've seen it in the highstreet in HMV, so why can't they ship mine now, but they won't play ball. Looks like they're going to keep me waiting till the 20th !

Kali -> where did you get your copy from ?

I got mine from CD-Wow they say it is region 0 but it could be an R4 as that came out in September. CD-Wow were much cheaper than play in this instance.

Rog

The UK release date is the 20th of October. The R4 release date was sometime in September. Hence CD-Wow and OZ retailers like EZYDVD have had it for at least a month.

R4 spec is exactly the same as R2 and probably R1.

Rog

Originally posted by rnjones

R4 spec is exactly the same as R2 and probably R1.

"probably" is right if Play USA are to be believed...

They've got the R1 on their upcoming list, and not only is it cheaper than the UK version (R1 £12.99 vs R2 £14.99), it's supposed to be released in the same week (20th Oct R2, 21st R1)... and the R1's listed as having a 5.1 audio track.

just to save the money (call me Scrooge:D) I've cancelled my R2 and swapped for the R1, but if its got 5.1 it'll be an interesting listen:rolleyes:

I don't want to accuse anyone of telling porky pies, but are you SURE that it's in 5.1 ?

I couldn't imagine them putting all the effort into remixing it in 5.1 and then only giving us 2.0 in r1 and r2.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom