1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pink Floyd - disappointed with albums

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by dan1979, Dec 9, 2004.

1. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I bought DSOTM years ago and really like it, when I bought a new stereo I needed more music so figured I would get The Wall what with it being such a legendary album. I think its fantastic, probably my favourite album.

Based on what I've read by others I picked up what I thought would be the two next best: Animals and Wish you were here, but these have left me a bit dissapointed, aside from SOYCD there was nothing on them that grabbed me.

Did I pick the wrong albums or are they just not as good as DSOTM and The Wall, given my lack of appreciation for the other two I bought is it worth me checking out any of their other albums? (I also have Relics which is good I thought was hit and miss)

2. ibrox50

ibrox50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    one of my faves is the double live "pulse",after watching the dvd i just had to buy it :smashin:

3. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Essential Pink Floyd:-

Live at Pompeii (DVD)

Meddle

More

Obscured by Clouds

Ummagumma (first LP only...)

4. goodtimes

goodtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    keep listening to wywh and animals as they are very good.
    full of deep thinking liriiiics and even if they are a bit like ( Im the victim here)
    These albums are still classic Pink Floyd and well worth the time to listen to.

5. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Imported the Pulse concert on DVD from Germany (not available in the UK!!! :confused: ) -content and sound quality are great,although I was a bit disapointed in the PQ,which is extremely variable in places.

6. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Moviebuff

That's why the DVD hasn't officially been released in the UK or US and Dave Gilmour was not happy with the PQ. It should however come out sometime in 2005. SOund quality is excellent though :)

Dan

If you are looking for more of the same as DSOTM then your best bet is Meddle. Relics is compiled from their 60's albums and singles, which I particulary enjoy!

I do like both Animals and The Wall but my fav is Wish You Were Here as it brings back great memories of th 70's and school.

If you want to complete your collection then get the Syd Barret boxed set and the US compilation Works, which contains the elsewhere unavailable track Embryo.

7. technoman28

technoman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +358
    Try to listen to some Roger Waters. "amused to death" is a good starting point, it has the lyrical edge of floyd, with a lot of "wall" type backround atmospherics (tv's etc). tere is also a live album and DVD called "in the flesh" which has floyd tracks and waters tracks, and superb musicians (snowy white, andy fairweather low, and the keyboard player who played on the floyd live videos). Also if you like "the wall" the roger waters, berlin DVD, it is the most spectacular peice of musical entertainment you will ever witness. Where else could you see a stage show that involves 2 tower cranes, the german army, bands playing on the back of articulated lorrys driven onto the stage, motorbikes and army vehicles driven across the stage, and a hotel room halfway up "the wall" that gets trashed(complete with obligatory tv through the window). Definitely not to be missed.
    The floyds last album "the final cut" was sort of a follow on from the wall, containing some stuff that didn't make it onto the wall. It is dismissed by a lot of people but there is some good stuff on there and I am fairly sure that if you liked the wall you will like it.

8. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's all personal I suppose but Animals is one of my favourite albums of all time. Bought it on vinyl as a teenager and replaced it recently on CD. Still fantastic. Ummagumma is best listened too if your off your face!!

I've got a mouse, and he doesn't have a house, I don't know why I call him Gerald....

9. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Technoman

Totally agree! I have Live In The Flesh on SACD and it is superb! Amused to Death sounds great. It was recorded/mastered with Q Sound (whatever that was) that was semi-popular in the early 90's (Madonna, Julian Lennon etc).

The 2 Dave Gilmour albums are OK but it's really worth investing in his DVD if you haven't already got it. His rock'n'roll guitar work on Maccas Run Devil Run CD and Live At The Cavern DVD are a joy to behold.

Rick Wrights 2 CDs can be picked-up cheaply and if you enjoy the late 60's/early 70's Floyd albums you will enjoy these too.

10. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Can't believe no one has mentioned 'The Final Cut'.........possibly their best album in my opinon.

11. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love pretty much all the Floyd stuff except for the two 'post-Waters' studio albums - Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell - which are a bit like 'Floyd Lite' in my opinion. Give WyWH and Animals more time to grow on you - they are both classics.

Has anyone else got the Australian Pink Floyd Show's 'Live in Liverpool' DVD? It is abolutely excellent (although the picture quality is good rather than great). Well worth getting from their website www.aussiefloyd.com

12. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Steve

Not a great fan of the Final Cut, although Not Now John is good

Keith

I saw Aussie PF a few years ago live in Edinburgh and they were very good

13. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +847
    I know it's kind of against the flow, but I always thought from DSOTM onwards they weren't as good. I liked the experimental psychedelic side that came out in their earlier albums before (I guess) they "matured" as musicians.
    Personal favourite album would probably be More.

14. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I think the two albums mentioned there are terrible, both of them to me are simply re-workings of their more popular early stuff. :thumbsdow

15. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I really like Division Bell. In fact I think all the Floyd albums I've listened to were good.

16. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Noooooooooooooo, it was terrible! How close was it in arrangement terms to DSOTM :boring:

17. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I dunno :rolleyes:, the whole point of the Floyd is to listen to it when you're hammered isn't it :D

18. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Yep, and to listen to a poor re-working just isn't the same ;)

19. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Wish you were here is actually Dave Glimours fave Floyd album. I didn't go much on it when it first came out, but after repeated plays it's my second favourite floyd album, behind DSOM. Other personal faves Meddle (echoes is one of my most played Floyd tracks), the Wall, Ummugamma, and Atom Heart Mother. Don't like any post Waters "Pink Floyd". Too weedy.

20. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    :hiya: For me the best Pink Floyd albums are the ones recorded 'live' it's the next best thing to seeing them perform live, To listen to 'Comfortly Numb' live is just mind blowing and as for WSWH track and album, just crank up the volume and chill out.

One other thing, I have most of Pink Floyds albums and I have played them constantly for last 30 yrs much to the annoyance of my wife and kids nearly forgot and the neighbours. :smashin:

v1.2a s+d>r TW 1/0/@ tG 0- 0 WYWH 3 0 99.2% <24dec2>

For insight of all things Pink Floyd, Look here one of the best independant sites :smashin:

21. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    I'm not really all that keen on DSOM :eek:
    I do really like Wish You Were Here, Meddle and Atom Heart Mother (love Alan's Pyschedelic Breakfast) . I've got Animals but can't really get on with it at all.

Edit. Oh my God, this post has just made me a Veteran !

22. s70rmp

s70rmp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I love delicate sound of thunder

mate said have a listen to this, once i'd listened to it straight into town to buy it

23. p.booth

p.booth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Been a fan since Syd`s days .Got everything ,Love the lot and
    never listened to any of it when hammered. Never had the urge.
    :laugh: :laugh:

24. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Any copy of PULSE available on DVD is a bootleg. It has not officially been released anywhere. This must be a Laserdisc or VHS rip as they are the only formats it is available on.

25. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Piper at the Gates of Dawn, followed by Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of a Spoon.

The reason : Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Overdrive, no one got close and everyone copied, truly great pieces of music. I dont really play DSOTM any more, I think I wore out my Floyd receptors on that one after hours of playing day and night.

26. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I got into them in '85 via the 'collection of great dance songs' compilation.
    Although taking the music out of the original album context, compilations do give a good sample of a bands music, as such, the 'Echoes' compilation has much to recommend it.

I originally thought the early stuff (saucerful of secrets, relics) was crap, but then started to find little gems hidden within. biding my time :clap:

As far as album releases go, they are my favourite group all time.

If you're new to then and don't want to be scared off, for starters I'd avoid :-
    A saucerful of secrets
    More,
    Ummagumma (live half is great though),
    a momentry lapse of reason

buy 'Echoes' and see what you like.

27. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'Echoes' would be a good compilation, except for the horrible edit on 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond', where the whole last section of the guitar solo before the singing starts has been cut out. I'm so familiar with that song, that I cringe everytime I hear the version on Echoes :mad: :thumbsdow

28. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    same with the edited version of Echoes, but if you don't know the songs in their original form, you wont know they've been edited which is why it's a good place to start.

Dance songs had a re-recording of money, with a smoother solo and more prominant bass line. SOYCD was also edited, sticking both parts together and missing out a lot of the instrumental sections. For some reason, it is this version which used to get the radio play.

Play Echoes, (meddle version) with the last part of 2001:a space odyssey, works a treat, but the timing of the sync must be spot on :smashin:

29. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Huwg

The re-recording of Money was due to a dispute in the US with Capitol, which "owned" the original and PF who had moved their distribution to Columbia/CBS in the USA after DSOTM.

Its Dave G on all the instruments allegedly

30. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    That doesn't suprise me, from what I've read, Mason and Wright didn't play a great deal on the Wall (session musicians were used quite a bit), and Roger's biggest contribution is his songwriting. Gilmour is probably the better bass player :laugh:

Still love them though