1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pink Floyd Alternatives

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Allos, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Allos

Allos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I love PF a lot, even though I am young :clown:

I have been looking for some more music that has the depth and emotion as PF. I tried The Doors, The Flaming Lips, Wilco but ...

Any suggestions ? :)

2. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    can't think of aything offhand that mixes good rock, lead guitar and various sound effects (helicopters etc). However Led Zeppelin is as good as it gets. Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, The Who, Black Sabbath not bad either.

3. Allos

Allos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dood,

I have 2 The Whos: Whos next and Live at Leeds. I just bought them as everyone said that they were great. Well, I must admit that either I do not understand their music or they are just not my cup of tea :p Same goes for Deep Purple.

Which Led Zeppelin is good? Will check around and maybe get one of them.

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Zep 2 is agood start, but they are nothing like Floyd. Do you prefer early or later Floyd albums? Nothing sounds exactly like PF, you could try a few Roger Waters albums I suppose. PF have a very blues based sound and most bands have moved away from this. Theres lots of bands wich feature emotion in their music, but most do not have the musicianship or ease of listening that Floyd have.

For an alternative try bands like Radiohead and Muse, more dance oriented are Death in Vegas, Massive Attack and Primal Scream, further out are my current favourites Cult of Luna for a heavier sounding band and if your still up to it try Dillinger:eek: :D

5. jackjones

jackjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm many bands copied the Floyd sound but most were dodgy Euro-prog bands.

For depth, emotion, lyrical complexity and heaviness try Script for A Jesters Tear or Fugazi by Marillion. The covers even have references to Floyd but they are not simple rip-offs.

More modern stuff - try Dream Theater- Scenes from a Memory.

As for Zep - you cannot go wong with any of the first 6 LPS - 1-4. Houses of the Holy and Physical Grafitti.

Enjoy.

6. jackjones

jackjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS I almost forgot. Check out Porcupine Tree. Sky moves Sideways is hugely Floyd and the new CD In Absentia (more updated sound and song orientated) is emotional widecreen 70mm.

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Good call ! :smashin:

8. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I saw Marillion before they released SFAJT, Fish was moaning about only having a radio mike that didnt work while the rest of the band had new gear......................but they are nothing like Floyd chaps, more like Genesis .

9. jackjones

jackjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wondered how long it would take before someone dragged up Genesis. Did you listen to Marillion after they were signed? Musically the guitarist has a style far more influenced by Gilmour than Hacket, lyrically Fish sings about alienation, despair, war (this sounds more like Roj than Collins or Gabriel), the keyboards are far more Yes than anything else and the rhythm section has far more swing than Collins and Ruherford ever managed (after Script, for Script the drummer is a poor Peart copy). And, as noted, the cover picture has copies of The Wall and other Floyd albums on it. The records have lots of background sounds like Darkside. So the because the singer paints his face and covered Suppers Ready on the first single (Grendel) the whole band sounds like Genesis circa Foxtrot?

Rant over. The point (and our adventurous questioners' question) is not that they copy the Floyd sound (although as I say there are obvious influences) but that they have the same depth and emotion - they create the same emotional response, have the same panoramic sweep to their music and the same lyrical concerns and sophistication.

For the record Floyd have been my favourite band since a teenager in the early 80s (highly unfashionable), so I do not compare them blindly. It would be nice to have someone saying those CDs have been superceeded by new acts like Porcupine Tree ........

10. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes are a good alternative, though they did become very indulgent, and put out some rubbish. Keys to Ascension vol1 and vol2 are excellent though. Their best album is 90125.
    As mentioned before, the early Marillion stuff is good, but don't miss Misplaced childhood out.
    Wow...... a prog rock thread..... who'd have thought it?

11. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    90125........no, no, no, if you want Yes got to be the Yes Album and Close to the Edge then Fragile.

Whooaa over indulgent, sometimes, more like always, Anderson wanted them to play in some woods, but the producer managed to persuade him that a barn and cardboard cows was a better bet.

Wakemen, spent every morning clearing earwigs and other assorted beasties from the inwards of his keyboards.

Anderson eventually admitted in later interviews that his words meant nothing, but sounded rather nice together and was suprised more people didnt notice.

Then there was the excessive noodlings of Howe, a good guitarist who seemed to go mad on later albums.

Sorry Jackjones I dont agree with your summing up, Marillion were Genesis through and through. War, alienation we have Suppers Ready and Lamb lies down amongst many others such as Get em out by Friday and the Ghostly Old King Cole number.

PF are a band in long time development in the same way as U2, their style can be imitated, but why bother when they do it so well.

I was brought up on 70s stuff and I love it all, regardless of the dinosaur label the press hung round the necks of prog bands after the arrival of punk. Its just music, but its what keeps me happy.

12. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +955
    I'd have to say I've always thought of Genesis whenever I listen to old Marillion stuff. Never Pink Floyd. I just don't hear it myself, that's not to say it isn't there though.

Porcupine Tree are a bit more than just influenced by Floyd, they've lifted a good few riffs straight off the Floyd albums and onto their own. One of the mixes (or "parts" as they like to call them) of Voyage 34 is a perfect clone, it could almost be Gilmour playing it.

13. Harry Kim

Harry Kim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tangerine Dream! :lesson:

14. Dave N

Dave N
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also a long term PF fan - first saw them in 76 (Wish You Were Here tour). A few, partially relevant to the question, to conjour with...

David Gilmour solo album - the first only only - the second one is dire - unlistenable suffers the curse of the 80's
    Genesis - Trick of The Tail - seminal lp imo
    Extreme - 3 Sides to Every Story (cf ...good rock, lead guitar and various sound effects (helicopters )
    I used to like Boston - More Than A Feeling is still a stonker but most of their stuff seems dated now.
    Stevie Ray Vaughn - various - marvellous and unique blues player

Curiosities
    John Andersons solo lp "Olias of Sunhillow" hmmmm
    Brand X - Phil Collins's jazz-funk band - cant recall the album I have but interesting anyway.
    I have a Brian May/Eddie Van Halen EP, Starfleet - nothing to do with the above but perhaps its worth something now?

cheers
    D

15. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hawkwind

16. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, Hawkwind!

Not really the same category, but Jethro Tull has a vast catalogue of albums to get your teeth into.

Early Art of Noise is pretty interesting.

And you could also try a bit of King Crimson or Nick Cave. They don't sound anything like Pink Floyd, but I like all of them: quite complex music, lots of emotion, and high levels of song writing skills.

17. Dave N

Dave N
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah rhoamish, good points. Specifically...

Broadsword & the Beast for Jethro Tull
    Hall of the Crimson King for eh King Crimson...

18. Allos

Allos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, where can I get the money to buy all your suggestions? LOL :)

Well, I guess there is only one PF. Can't/ shouldn't look for other bands to be their substitute, otherwise, they would only be an surrogate band, right?

Will definite get some of the bands you guys suggested. Thanks!!!

19. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm 31, and I got into Pink Floyd when I was about 15. I still really like them (in spite of swapping all their albums on CD for payment of a gas bill when I was a student, and only now nearing replacing them all):rolleyes:

I found it quite tricky to find other bands from the era. I'm really into a lot of 'prog', but most of it happened before I was 10. There's not many radio stations that play the sort of music I like, but over the last 10 years or so I've gradually managed to find out what I've been missing out on.

Here's a great tip: listen to Bruce Dickinson's show 'The Freak Zone' on Sunday evenings, on 6music. Best of all, you can listen to it any time of the week on the net. He plays some amazing (and often pretty oscure) stuff, which I've found a good way of finding old and new bands to investigate:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/presenters/bruce_dickinson/

Enjoy!

20. Allos

Allos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay okay, please comment on below!!!

I am going to BUY these CDs:

In The Court Of The Crimson King - King Crimson
    Script for A Jesters Tear - Marillion (or Misplaced Childhood)
    In Absentia - Porcupine Tree

Will I go wrong. Regardless on whether they are like PF or not, are they GOOD albums? Worth listening?

Please let me know what you think before I talk out my credit card. Thanks!!!

edited: sorry, adding "Stolt Morse Portnoy Trewavas" by Transatlantic to the list :laugh:

21. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +955
    In The Court Of The Crimson King - King Crimson - excellent
    Script for A Jesters Tear - Marillion (or Misplaced Childhood) - Good/excellent
    In Absentia - Porcupine Tree - oh dear:rotfl: (although that's biased as every time I've seen Porcupine Tree live they've been terrible and I only really rate their Voyage 34 track + it's associated mixes)

22. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Court of the crimson King is great, 21st Century chizoid man is where my heavy rock apprenticeship started, the original cd was poor compared with the original vinyl, but I think they have done a remastered version.

Marrillion, Ive never listened to mine for ages, Genesis did it better try Foxtrot for an alltogether better experience.

I know nothing of porcupine tree, copies of bands dont interest me.

Others to try are Close to the Edge by Yes you will love that

one that hasnt been mentioned is Van der Graaf Generator- The least we can do is wave to each other (not a brilliant record, but it has its emotional moments). Peter Hammill is on his way back into the limelight according to the press.

23. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..Crimson King. This is quite good, but does sound very dated to me. It is generally well reviewed and has plenty of supporters, so clearly many people think it is good.

Script for a Jesters Tear. Good album, two superb tracks, as good a place as anywhere to start with Marillion, if you don't like the title track and 'The Web' don't bother with any other Marillion albums.

Porcupine tree: How much are you going to pay for this album, 'cos I've only seen it at full price and you might be better going for a bit of mid price back catalogue. You should definately try this band out though as for a Floyd fan they could be just the thing

24. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Allos,

Your not going to find anything that sounds like Floyd, except for Floyd themselves.

You might like 'Strangitude' by 'Ozric Tentacles'. Not really 'floyd' like, but most people I know who like floyd also like ozrics. The best way I've heard them described is if you imagine what floyd might have evolved into if they were still going today.

25. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +955
    That's stretching it a bit:eek:

Ozric Tentacles are very twiddly on the old fretboard, but once you've heard a couple of albums everything tends to sound the same. A lot of Eastern influences, dub, Gong/Steve Hillage sounding things. Definitely more soundscapes than songs, if that's your bag. Not too shabby for a bunch of crusties, but the last time they played live my lady went to see them and they couldn't get it together at all. They only bothered to play for 30 minutes after a 2 and a half hour break between the support band and themselves.

Erpland still gets played quite a lot in my house though.

26. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've seen them live about four times now, and they've been terrible every time. I wouldn't recommend going to see them.

There are some good tracks on Erpland, but Stragitude is their best IMHO. You only need a couple of Ozrics albums thought 'cos they do tend to get a bit 'samey'.

At the risk of going 'off thread', anyone heard anything about the pompei or pulse dvd release dates ?

27. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +955
    Last I heard, Pompeii is down for April in a "directors cut".
    Can't wait. But I hope it doesn't sound too "toppy";)

28. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I also can't wait.

After some 'herbal intake', Echos Part 2 borders on a spiritual experience for me.

29. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +955
    thank the lord for rosehip tea;):smoke: :zonked:

30. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Not quite like Floyd, but if you like intelligent music with Jazz roots have a listen to Steely Dan.