pin number for movies hd1!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by ted26, Apr 30, 2007.

1. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just installed my sky hd box and have to say i am very impressed with pq and cant wait to sit down tonight and play :thumbsup:

But everytime i access movies hd 1 it asks for a 4 digit pin number :mad:

I know the pin number but would like to remove it permanently if its possible :confused:

2. Mike Groves

Mike Groves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    PIN number should not be required after 21.00 - prior to that depends on film rating. As far as I know you can not turn off PIN control completely.

3. J Roadley

J Roadley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    12A or above film shown during before the 9pm watershed will require a pin. What can be disabled is the pin request on playback of a recorded program/film.

What annoys me is that there is just me and the missus in our house so no kids at risk of seeing something they shouldn't so I would like to disable this under the "Adult settings" etc....

4. colham

colham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I posted about this a while back when the Movies lineup changed.

Sky and Ofcom essentially. Apparently any live broadcast has to have PIN protection - even if there's only adults in the house (a child could break in while you're at work and watch Basic Instinct while robbing you) - if its before 9am.

The only thing you can do with PIN Protection is disable for playback of recordings. Anytime and Sky+ functionality isn't covered, as essentially its no different from using a video recorder.

5. usenetz

usenetz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I find this extremely irritating - the controls are available to block content, channels, etc, so why must I have to enter my PIN after disabling all PIN requirement? :(

Additionally, if I go away for a couple of days and a friend house-sits, and I give them my PIN to allow them to watch a certificate 12 movie, they can then watch all sorts of content which I may not want them watching.

Place the control where it should be - in MY hands.

john

6. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Then why not use the channel/content blocks to stop them doing so.

Its ofcoms rules not Sky's on live broadcasts i.e. pvr content is not restricted. The alternative is we dispense with pin protection and go back to having 12A or higher rated movies only on after watershed times. I prefer what we have as it provides a much wider timeframe for adult only houses to view restricted content :smashin: Have you considered that you can actually watch recordings without needing to enter your PIN? So why not record and chase play it?

7. J Roadley

J Roadley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Your right about the recording thing... but I also think it should be our choice wether to enter a pin or not.

8. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Totally agree it should be our choice and Its down to the nanny state will live in nowadays where decisions have been taken out of our hands :( Even Sky have seen this is a farce (i.e. recordings aren't covered including Anytime) and have recently implemented the ability to watch them without needing a PIN by adding the "PIN entry on playback" option to be set to OFF to allow the daft ofcom rules to be circumvented. Previously you couldn't watch anything recorded or live that was originally broadcast prior to its watershed time. It was a bit of a joke when you were watching a recording at night of a program you recorded during the day that happend to be pre-watershed. At least that's sorted now.

9. usenetz

usenetz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Because, in the example I gave, they will have my PIN to "allow them to watch a certificate 12 movie", and so can use the PIN the change the channel/content blocks.

As for the 'chase play' suggestion, firstly thanks for the tip but it is easier to enter the PIN, and that is exactly the sort of trick kids will work-out to cirumvent the current rules, whereas many adults I know would not be able to work it out or access forums like this where the answers may be found.

As for you point "Its ofcoms rules not Sky's", I did not blame Sky, merely voiced my opinion that "I find this extremely irritating".

john

10. tennant

tennant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    What's really annoying is that it's the same PIN to unlock a 12 movie as it is to block adult channels. If you want to completely block access to all the adult previews yet provide all the PIN to be used to watch a film you can't!