Pimax making a come back

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So Pimax have announced and due to release three products which have caught my interest:

1. Pimax 8KX
2. Pimax Artisan
3. Modular Deluxe audio strap + comfort kit

So number 3 just makes the headsets ergonomic and comfortable af. This is the main complaint of Pimax headsets.

Anyway, the Artisan at like a 400-500 dollar price of entry seems like a decent steal. Better FOV than the index, multiple refresh rate options. I'll be interested to see an FOV comparison between the two. Obviously you sacrifice the best in class audio but it seems like an option at least people can consider.

Pimax 8KX just seems to get insane reviews. By the sounds of things, its basically nearly a HP reverb like clarity over a gigantic FOV. The biggest drawback I can think of is the refresh rate at 75hz which I'm assuming will be an issue.

The distortion issue seems near enough resolved to the extent people shouldn't be worrying about it too by reviews at CES.

Quite interesting news and if these headsets gain traction, it really might force Valve's hands to release a new headset in 24 months but I personally doubt they will as they're still struggling to produce and ship out to consumers at present.

The Pimax 8KX specifically, despite its mouth watering price tag, comparing to the competition whcih offers similar specs, seems like an absolute bargain for what you get.

I'm probably not going to get another headset for another two or three years I think. I'm waiting for eye tracking and foveated rendering before I get another one.

I'm visiting my Mum for a couple of weeks and have brought my PC down with me, and I THOUGHT I'd brought my Rift S too but it seems I left the bloody thing on my bed. I was planning on bringing it all with me so that I can work on my game whilst I'm down here.

Luckily my mate that I gave my Rift to didn't mind me borrowing it until I go back.

But using a Rift again after using my Rift S has reminded me of how much of a difference there is between the two in terms of IQ. And the bloody thing is SOOOOOOO uncomfortable compared to the Rift S too.

I'm just not prepared just yet to fork out on another GPU. A Rift 2 in 2022 with 4K displays, eye tracking and foveated rendering will be perfectly doable on my 1080 with a little supersampling.

And the lenses in the Rift S are top class, hardly any god rays, hardly any SDE.

I'm going to use my PPI money to get myself a Yaw VR Motion Simulator I think and look at getting another headset in 2 and a bit years time.

I mean these headsets are in a totally different class to the rift s tbh. I love your optimism with what oculus will and won’t deliver.

2 or 3 years is a long time and I might not even be vr gaming by then .. so I kinda fancy just buying the best I can today rather than gamble on what will be offered to us on the mainstream side of things.

I’m not going to lie, I am very very tempted by the 8kx but I will hold off as I feel I should at least clock a few hundred hours of vr gaming first

Even the artisan is tempting for that

Well I've only tried the Vive, Rift and Rift S so far, but going by through the lens shots there isn't a GREAT deal of difference between the Rift S and the Valve Index. Certainly not £520 worth of difference lol :rotfl: :laugh:

Like I've said before I would have jumped on an Index if Valve weren't taking the piss with the price gouging. I certainly had the money available at the time to get one. For that sort of money I would have expected a headset with the specs of the 8KX or even the 5K+ or 8K.

I'm fine with my Rift S for now, it's a clear step above the Rift and Vive but I'll be jumping on a Rift 2 in two and a bit years assuming that it's the best headset with the best lenses at the time.

In the meantime I'll be getting a Yaw VR Motion Simulator :cool:

Well I've only tried the Vive, Rift and Rift S so far, but going by through the lens shots there isn't a GREAT deal of difference between the Rift S and the Valve Index. Certainly not £520 worth of difference lol :rotfl: :laugh:

Like I've said before I would have jumped on an Index if Valve weren't taking the piss with the price gouging. I certainly had the money available at the time to get one. For that sort of money I would have expected a headset with the specs of the 8KX or even the 5K+ or 8K.

I'm fine with my Rift S for now, it's a clear step above the Rift and Vive but I'll be jumping on a Rift 2 in two and a bit years assuming that it's the best headset with the best lenses at the time.

In the meantime I'll be getting a Yaw VR Motion Simulator :cool:

theres a difference lol. i dont trust through the lens shots at all. colors, black levels better on index, clarity better obv due to the ipd adjustment, and the fov vertically is now nearing perfection on the index, horizontal improved.

i'd say the rift s is a sideways move from cv1 tbh:
better clarity and sde, better god rays, more convienant tracking solution,
worse build quality, tracking, refresh rate, colours, black levels, sound.

still tho snowdog.. no offence but this was a thread about the pimax. i dont know how ur rift s keeps managing to sneak into every thread haha.

please dont become the atmos version of the Rift S.

the yaw vr motion simulator looks ace. i saw mrtv's review of it and he looked thoroughly impressed. i think it will be a game changer for many genres of games.. but i just dont know which ones i'd personally use it for to facilitate its price.

I still think quality is the major downside for the Pimax headsets. They've gone from the equivalent of Alpha versions with the 8K, 5K, 5K+ to a Beta version with this latest one. They might be worth a punt at the next version once they've got all of the kinks out in terms of both hardware and software, but the way they are at the moment - even with the distortion improvements - I don't think I'm all that attracted to any of the versions.

Loads of games to play on the Yaw, it's SimTools compatible so there's 80-odd games you can use it with. Personally I'm going to use it with Elite Dangerous, War Thunder, Project CARS 2, Assetto Corsa, Euro and American Truck Simulators and MAYBE DiRT Rally but I think that last one MIGHT be a bit extreme, I'm gonna be thrown about all over the place lol :laugh: :rotfl:

I still think quality is the major downside for the Pimax headsets. They've gone from the equivalent of Alpha versions with the 8K, 5K, 5K+ to a Beta version with this latest one. They might be worth a punt at the next version once they've got all of the kinks out in terms of both hardware and software, but the way they are at the moment - even with the distortion improvements - I don't think I'm all that attracted to any of the versions.

Loads of games to play on the Yaw, it's SimTools compatible so there's 80-odd games you can use it with. Personally I'm going to use it with Elite Dangerous, War Thunder, Project CARS 2, Assetto Corsa, Euro and American Truck Simulators and MAYBE DiRT Rally but I think that last one MIGHT be a bit extreme, I'm gonna be thrown about all over the place lol :laugh: :rotfl:

I mean MRTV has pre-viewed the Pimax 8KX and Artisan. he thinks the Artisan is better than the Index apart from audio and the Pimax 8KX is the BEST consumer VR headset available. Thats including XTAL and the acer Varijo which are like trouble or triple the price.

I agree with you on the older models but I feel like your information might be slightly outdated in regards to the newer Pimax models.

Have you seen the 8KX previews? I'm not Pimax's biggest fan but everyone thats putting it on is saying this is second generation VR when they take it off.

Nah, people are still saying there's a little bit of distortion. Nowhere near as much as before but it's still there apparently.

Nah, people are still saying there's a little bit of distortion. Nowhere near as much as before but it's still there apparently.

Check the previews. I trust mrtv and he’s said it’s negligible now.

Also that Yaw thing looks insane. If it was cheaper, I'd definitely get one. Its sadly just one of those devices which is AMAZING but I'm not sure if I'll use it I don't play DCS and I don't play driving games.

I wonder if we get a small group of us together and do a bulk order whether they'd drop us some discount!!

Last edited:
Check the previews. I trust mrtv and he’s said it’s negligible now.

Still there though, but even as it was in the beginning I would imagine that it's something that you would get used to.

so pimax....

I know there is probably a mix of the old and the new right now but in say 6 months time, what headsets will they actually have on the market?

because i am confused as hell, there seem to be so many, an oled one, different resolutions, + variants x variants etc etc etc.

Are they all actually going to release or are some development prototypes that they are selling temporarily to enthusiasts?

Thanks

Did they ever satisfy their kickstarter pledges before developing new HMDs?

The new HMD is interesting and the head strap, while bulky, looks very good. Based on their performance to date though, I'd want to see the assurances of it being stocked by a major retailer before I passed on any credit card details.

@MikeKay1976 Road to VR have tried to explain Pimax's product portfolio...

so pimax....

I know there is probably a mix of the old and the new right now but in say 6 months time, what headsets will they actually have on the market?

because i am confused as hell, there seem to be so many, an oled one, different resolutions, + variants x variants etc etc etc.

Are they all actually going to release or are some development prototypes that they are selling temporarily to enthusiasts?

Thanks

I agree. It’s a mess. They should just offer the 8kx and the artisan.

I've got to do my very best and not get tempted to buy one in a few months if/when my full PPI refund comes in lol :rotfl: :laugh::D

I'll just have to change my phone wallpaper to a picture of a Yaw VR Motion Simulator to remind every day that I'm getting one of THOSE instead.

Unless of course I get stupid money back...then I'll get both lmfao :laugh::rotfl::p

Of course any SENSIBLE person would use the money to clear both of my credit cards...but this IS VR we're talking about here. And me.

8KX + YawVR is very tempting.
I just saw a bHaptics suit for 499. Had to resist.

Of course any SENSIBLE person would use the money to clear both of my credit cards...but this IS VR we're talking about here. And me.
indeed... colour me boring but imo there are 2 things which I consider important enough that they are worth getting a loan for... A house (because paying a landlord is dead money, so unless you need the mobility or property prices in the area just make it impractical, it should end up an investment)

and 2) if you absolutely cant afford one straight, a car, because without one getting to work can be a pain for most of us.

but for everything else, i would say better to get your ship in order and pay off those debts. short term loss (of buying power) but in the medium term you will end up richer for it....... with no interest payments to cover you will end up with more disposible income to buy the stuff you need. You already have good (relatively) VR and the yaw vr if it is any good is going no where - let others iron out the kinks - and get one when you can buy it straight and not give visa or what ever the extortionate amounts of interest they will likely charge.

Not to mention the piece of mind and increase to your mental wellbeing of knowing you do not owe anyone anything..... The reduction to stress levels alone make any short term saccrifices worth it (well they did for me, i stress over everything when it comes to debt so not having any was well worth a few saccrifices..... I also made a game of "pay the mortgage off as fast as possible". It is very satisfying watching that go down over and above the initial projected time....... it gets kind of addictive actually (1 addiction which is not too bad for your health))

of course its your life and non of my beeswax....... but that is what i would do. (That said i do use a CC..... i buy everything on it but pay off before interest, and get cashback and some insurance for my troubles :)

sadly the way the economy is now there is naff all incentive to actually save money... which is a shame and sooner or later the house of cards is gonna collapse. with inflation, i am actually losing money on the small amount i have in savings. Think i may put it all in premium bonds, at least i may actually win something... but that is another topic.

All of which is OT, sorry.

Last edited:
I'm terrible with my credit cards, got about three grand or so on them :rotfl: :laugh:

lol I think the most important thing is enjoy it and buy ur gadgets whilst ur still at an acceptable age to have them!

Yup, when I'm dead they'll have to prise my credit card from my cold dead hands :laugh: :rotfl:

There's nothing wrong with credit cards...provided you have the actual funds to clear the total debt each month, otherwise they nail you on the interest.

As for Pimax, I agree with Mike, they have too many models at this point I'm not even sure what's a prototype or an actual consumer model these days. They still haven't delivered on their stretch goals either.

"What's an unacceptable age? "

Yea my thoughts too. I know there`s a minimum age, but after that it don`t matter how old you are.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom