1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

piioneer dvr 5100h - connecting dv to pc ?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by titude, Jun 21, 2004.

1. titude

titude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I've read in other posts that some of you have had success in connecting the 5100H to your PC using the DV-OUT.

This is something I'd like to be able to do, but so far have had no luck.

I'm trying to transfer PAL recordings using a firewire cable to my PC's firewire interface. I've tried a couple of software packages, for example Pinnacle Studio 8.

I go to the "video capture" screen, selece DV for input, but all I get is a blank screen. The software appears to be connecting to the 5100H, as I can see the capture counter stop and start when I press play and stop on the Pioneer.

If anyone has had any luck with this, can you please let me know exactly what hardware and software you are using.

Many thanks in advance for any replies!

2. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This can be a problem for some software packages that think they are inputting from a Camcorder rather than a PVR type machine. I cannot get Studio 8, Studio 9 or Adobe Premiere Pro to input from the 5100 but I have no problems with the Canopus Storm using its own 1394 interface.

The 5100 manual does state near the back that the interface is designed for camcorders and I think it mentions that it may not work with other devices.

3. titude

titude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this wouldn't necessarily be supported by Pioneer, but I have read posts from people who are making this work - so it sounds like it can be done. My question is: how?

4. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe they are using a Canopus card as this is the only way I can copy from the 5100 DV-OUT into the PC. Maybe there is a driver out there somewhere?

5. titude

titude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just taken a recording to the HDD from a region 1 (NTSC) DVD, and this transfers fine from the DV-OUT to my PC using Studio 8. Very encouraging, but still not much use to me!

6. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How did you get the Region 1 DVD onto the HD? I assume you played it on another machine and recorded it onto the hard disc via an analogue input. I say this as I have now made some further investigations and it seems that NTSC format recordings are converted to PAL and output on the Firewire/1394/DV Out of the 5100! As you have found out, this can be input via a standard firewire interface on a PC whereas I can only get PAL recordings from the 5100 DV-OUT using the Canopus DV interface.

I also found that playing a Region 1 DVD (NTSC) that the DV Out seems to give a PAL DV Out! The machine appears to have a free standards converter in it (although not terribly useful!). I have "modified" my 5100 with software to give me multiregion so you may not be able to play region 1 in the same way but let me know.

I will be most interested to hear more!

7. titude

titude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the very interesting reply.
    Yes, I did record the r1 disc from another player via the analogue scart input, and I have the multiregion software mod, like you.
    Unfortunately, I'll be away for a few days, so I'm not able to do any more testing until next week - but I'll post back here once I do.

I'd really like to hear from someone with a virgin "region 2 only" 5100 to see if they get the same results as we do. Is this a possible bug in the multimod upgrade?

8. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No virgins out there?

9. ransimha

ransimha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi you guys,
    i have bought a new pal pioneer 5100.
    it was very interesting to read all your ideas.
    still, i dont know how to output a movie via the dv output on my comp to the dv input on the 5100.
    how do i do this?

10. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may be that the 5100 will only "see" a DV input from a camcorder.