1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pictures of my Home Cinema

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by BDCSTENG GARETH, Jul 12, 2005.

1. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Here are some pics taken this evening. :hiya:
    Shame the flash shows up the fact I need to palish the plasma... :oops:

As you can see, I need to finish some of the wiring. I have purchased many back boxes and blanking plates and intend to do lots of chasing and floorboard lifting this weekend.

For next time, could someone let me know how to add captions to the pics?

Enjoy,

Gareth :cool:

Attached Files:

2. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice pics. It could just be the colour rendition of the photo but it looks like your plasma could seriously benefit from the brightness control being turned down. Gotta get those blacks black man!

3. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Cheers for the feedback, I believe the monitor is set up correctly, so must be the photos...

I have to say though, that the PWD6 is a b :censored: r to set up with all the extra wiz bang features on...

Gareth.

4. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Got to use my SDS chissel for more distruction when the other half was out for the day!!!!

I have covered with first layer of plaster to seal in cables. I have aquired some cool little wedge shaped boxes to terminate in the corner behind my AV stand.

Gareth.

Attached Files:

5. The Fiend

The Fiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hmmmmm.... Routing of signal cables with mains cables is not the best of ideas :nono:

6. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I love the way people love to judge! :devil:

1. The mains cabel is double screened.
    2. The cable has actually been run in the chase with the empty black conduit (there for expansion), and away from the video for good measure. ;)

7. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may be some people "love to judge" but sometimes people will offer advice purely because they want to help.

8. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Trying to help? Hmmmmmm....

Ok so my setup is quite modest, and I havn't conformed to what some people see as "best practices".

But sometimes people do not ask questions like "is that the mains running next to your video cables"? Then I could answer " yes it is, but it runs in a different line and crosses at almost 90 degrees to the videos, and is also screened".

I would also like to point out that I am also using 75ohm cabling (Bryant broadcast BDSD04), 75ohm BNCs & 75ohm BNC-phono adapters for my Prog scan DVD, and have built my own scart interface cable between Sky+ and scart terminal board, by terminating another BDSD04 with scart plugs, and 4 core data cable to carry pins 8,16 and 21.

I have also set up the video side of my setup with testcards and patterns which I sourced from work.

Gareth. :smashin:

9. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To post here is to invite comment. It might seem churlish to post pictures of your setup then condemn those who comment on your set up as judgemental. I still think that the intent of the comments you've received was to help you, even if you disagree.

Perhaps we could agree to disagree.

Incidentally, and in case this is what you've been disappointed not to have received so far, I think it looks like a very nicely installed system.

10. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I agree wish what you are saying... I just don't like :nono: I prefer positive constructive comments... :lesson:

Thank you... The main reason I put my pics up in the first place was to show the little bits of building work and cabling etc. I know people get inspired by seing others who have done it! Also, I am proud of what I have achieved - This being my first house and all that... scary when its your own house, and you've got no one telling you it will be alright! I do bits like this all the time at work, but when your on the other side of the fence... :rolleyes:

Does this seem like im back stepping... Maybe slightly ;)

Regards,

Gareth. :thumbsup:

11. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I see from your public profile that you are in a position to know what you're doing when it comes to system design / set up, so I understand that some previous comments may have sounded like trying to teach grandma to suck eggs.

Heh, I guess your broadcast background explains why you went for a plasma instead of a projector - too long staring at monitors has brainwashed you..! :thumbsup:

Personally I was in charge of OHP transparencies in school assembly, perhaps this is why I have a projector based system at home. I'm sure you will agree, this is conclusive scientific proof.

12. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Scientific proof indeed...

But I am looking into a PJ! The only problem is I have to convince the other love of my life! She's currently complaining that I have installed some "big" speakers" in the living room (Celestian Ditton 100s)... Quite how to convince her of installing a PJ on the ceiling and a drop down screen... and the £1k I would need!

I also don't quite have the viewing distance! If you can see from the 1st set of photos, I am pushing it at the moment... I think to have a large screen in the front room is out of the question. Bedroom? Im thinking of a sales pitch for that one... Shame she's not into those kind of movies... :eek:

13. horlock

horlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought - and I assume you know best but is it wise to install a screen above a fire place - just wondering because I face the same dillema at the moment and was planning on trying to create 2 separate vocal points within the room.

Ie a fireplace opposite the doorway, and the flat screen on the perpendicular wall.

Perhaps you can cancel out my fears and possibly save me some effort.

Incidentally have recently ordered a very similar looking gas stove!