• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

"Pictures and videos" crashing VMCE

16to9

I've tried to use the Vista MCE interface to watch some downloaded video. (I've made a folder and put them in there - there are about a dozen or so - and I navigate to them using the remote to watch them.)

However as it goes to show the previews of them, it's crashing. It seems to be as it generates the thumbnails.

The videos are divx or xvid encoded and play fine in Windows Media Player. The machine is NOT heavily laden with lots of codecs.

Anyone else finding this? Or is it just me who is getting a bit narked that Vista isn't a patch on XP's MCE? :(

evolution400

Never happens to me I have the following codecs installed.

Koepi Xvid 1.3
AC3 Filter 1.47
Nvidia Pure Video

Works flawlessly so maybe its ffdshow ?
Occaisonally I get the wheel spinning constantly showing now pictures or videos because I have some network drives mapped its like it can't access them, so I unplug the LAN cable then back in and its fine and they appear.

16to9

Well it looks like the time-honoured feature of Windows - reinstall when all is lost - has been retained in Vista... :rolleyes:

I do have my Ghost images (and they have been useful) but a Vista install is pretty nippy so in this instance I'm going to fish out the original DVD. At least now I know what drivers to install from scratch, so I'll see if doing this fixes it.

Nice one MS!

16to9

A reinstall of Vista fixed it. And then an install of Divx on this reinstall broke it again. But then an uninstall of the install of the reinstall fixed it...

You get the idea. Anyway, Divx isn't on my machine, xvid is instead and all is fine.

MrSynner

Just a thought, but have you got Nero installed? There is a bug with Nero that causes something similar - it tries to render previews of pictures and videos at the same time Vista does - which causes explorer to crash repeatedly.

Go to Program Files/Common Files/Ahead/DSFilter directory and rename NeVideo.ax and NeVideoHD.ax as NeVideo.bak and NeVideoHD.bak. This will cure it.

Hope this helps.

chrisowe

Just a thought, but have you got Nero installed? There is a bug with Nero that causes something similar - it tries to render previews of pictures and videos at the same time Vista does - which causes explorer to crash repeatedly.

Go to Program Files/Common Files/Ahead/DSFilter directory and rename NeVideo.ax and NeVideoHD.ax as NeVideo.bak and NeVideoHD.bak. This will cure it.

Hope this helps.

Yep, I had exactly the same problem as this and uninstalling Nero fixed it. Strange really as it worked fine with it installed for months, then it decided to play up.

lordpeewee

I've tried to use the Vista MCE interface to watch some downloaded video. (I've made a folder and put them in there - there are about a dozen or so - and I navigate to them using the remote to watch them.)

However as it goes to show the previews of them, it's crashing. It seems to be as it generates the thumbnails.

The videos are divx or xvid encoded and play fine in Windows Media Player. The machine is NOT heavily laden with lots of codecs.

Anyone else finding this? Or is it just me who is getting a bit narked that Vista isn't a patch on XP's MCE? :(

I've had the same thing. The problem for me was with the latest 6.6 DivX codecs - that is what caused the crash when generating thumbnails in Media Center. Uninstall them and get the XviD codecs instead and all will be fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom