• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Picture too dark on PS3 with DVD's.

varkanoid

Established Member
I have just got a PS3 and hooked up to my Toshiba 37C3035D with HDMI. The picture is way too dark when playing DVD's. Watching A v P 2 which is mostly in the dark and scenes like when the lady Predator finds the crashed ship with her hubby in its completely dark and you lose whats going on onscreen. Tried a few other DVD's and they seem too dark. PS3 games play okay and look fine too.

Watching Sky, and DVD's through my Pioneer DV600 are fine, same disc and levels are good so I doubt its the TV settings. I've noticed if I use RGB it is darker than Yc x whatever. So best I can get is to not use RGB but even then its quite appalling.

Any ideas ? :lease:

I also note the PS3 detects my display as 1080p which its not its 1080i which is odd too. Setting it to 1080i manually makes no difference to the brightness.

missinglink

Established Member
It is possible that you have selected 'Full' on the RGB option in the set up in your PS3 where you should in fact select 'Limited'.

Full is used for monitors which have a greater range of colours than standard TV's. Selecting full for ordinary TVs causes 'black crush' whereby your TV reads any dark colour below a certain value as black because it has been effectively re-calibrated by this selection.

Hence anything quite dark becomes outputted as just black leading to a dark picture with virtually no shadow detail.

This setting is for BD/DVD which may explain games being OK.

Note that Deep Colour and xxYcc (or whatever) are not the same as RGB Full/Limited.

Hope this helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom