1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture Tilt

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by cerat, Jul 12, 2004.

1. cerat

cerat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would prefer to keep my AV28R4 if I can get the picture tilt problem sorted out. The engineer tells me that the TV would have to be taken away to have the correction made, “because of purity issues” (these issues weren’t really explained). However, from

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/how2adj.html#3.4a

I see the following:

3.4a ROTATION

As screen size has become larger the effects of Earth's magnetic field can be seen as a rotated raster in the picture. There are provisions for reducing this effect on most 27" and larger direct view television sets. Only when the television is orientated in a viewing direction other than the factory default position will this effect be noticed.

Before you start with the geometry adjustments, put up one of the crosshatch patterns ("Geometry/Convergence, Full Amplitude" VEDVD-17/17, Frame VE-46611, AVS-50820) if the raster is rotated, then use one of the user adjustments in the compass direction menu to find the one that gives the least amount of rotation. IGNORE the names of the directions in the choices - just pick the one that gives the best results REGARDLESS of your compass direction - this should be done with the television orientated in it's normal viewing position. If the television is moved to a different position this procedure will need to be repeated.

This suggests that any off-site correction would be open to chance repair.

A second issue is that, unlike other R25s and R4s I've seen, the picture has an unmistakeable orange hue. The user controls for the picture cannot correct for this. Would an engineer be able to make corrections?

I would appreciate any advice on either or both of these issues.

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    Taking the set away to adjust picture tilt is pointless as it varies depending on location and the direction the set is facing. If you turn your set to a different direction you will see that the tilt varies. There is a limited amount of adjustment available by moving the scan coils on the R4 but it must be carried out in situ to be of any use.

An engineer can adjust the Red, Green and Blue drives individually from the Service Menu so should be able to sort out the white balance.

3. cerat

cerat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This confirms what I suspected. Before posting, I did try turning the set the best I could without ripping up the floor, and thought the tilt had subsided in the new placing. The engineer told me that the picture tilt device would cost the manufacturer less than a fiver. I know the R4 is a budget widescreen, but it seems ridiculous way to cut down on production costs. Thanks for your reply. It is appreciated.