Quantcast

Picture thread BK Subwoofers

Stinger69

Thought these may be of interest, got the Mono in 2010, and being me I couldn't resist taking it apart to look inside!

Enjoy.

IMG_2018 by Andy Likes Cameras, on Flickr

IMG_2019 by Andy Likes Cameras, on Flickr

IMG_2022 by Andy Likes Cameras, on Flickr

IMG_2023 by Andy Likes Cameras, on Flickr

IMG_2024 by Andy Likes Cameras, on Flickr

IMG_2026 by Andy Likes Cameras, on Flickr

IMG_1422 by Andy Likes Cameras, on Flickr

IMG_1423 by Andy Likes Cameras, on Flickr

IMG_1424 by Andy Likes Cameras, on Flickr

Wavod

Thought these may be of interest, got the Mono in 2010, and being me I couldn't resist taking it apart to look inside!

Enjoy.
Thanks Stinger69,
My Mono due soon and to be honest it would'nt have been long 'til I took a sneaky peak inside. At least I can concentrate on set-up and playtime first now :smashin:

sergiup

Distinguished Member
A couple of pics of it in its current location (not the best, but the most accepted one).I really need to sort out that centre speaker riser (*ahem* cardboard box).

Attachments

KUBBY

Novice Member
Thanks for the Pics.

Am I the only one Surprised that there is no wadding inside the Mono?

Given that it is discussed with regularity on the DIY Sub build forum..........

K.

Porl

Standard Member
Thanks for the Pics.

Am I the only one Surprised that there is no wadding inside the Mono?

Given that it is discussed with regularity on the DIY Sub build forum..........

K.
I had assumed he removed it for the photo?
:facepalm:

KUBBY

Novice Member
I might agree with your facepalm if there was any mention or sign of it.

Perhaps the OP will clarify.:)

K.

Stinger69

I might agree with your facepalm if there was any mention or sign of it.

Perhaps the OP will clarify.:)

K.
No, there wasn't any wadding. I think that's usually used more in sealed subwoofer enclosures, but I could be wrong!
Ask Moonfly on the DIY forum, not much he doesn't know!

KUBBY

Novice Member
Thanks.You may be right.

Just an owners interest.:)

K.

Wavod

Had to find some info. before everyone started dismantling their Monoliths :rotfl: ....

Usually ported subs don't benefit from stuffing, nor is it needed, due to such a low crossover point. Good bracing (like in the Monolith) though is especially important on large enclosures.

Since a ported enclosure more or less works by resonance, stuffing it will only reduce output. This can be helpful if the tuning is too high and an enclosure has a peaky/boomy sound but is otherwise detrimental to performance i.e if it sounds bad, try stuffing it, as it's an easily reversible tweak (obviously not needed with the Monolith!)

Wavod

Received Mono yesterday and have been busy ever since :rotfl: . I have made a step-by-step unboxing and basic set-up album to share. Click here for my Black Ash BK Monolith Unboxing Photo Gallery..
Before I made my purchase I found images for Black Ash Monoliths were few and far between in net searches. Hopefully my album may be of help/interest to somebody out there.

Last edited:

Wavod

Anyone else wanting to share pics of their BK Subs ?
Let's keep this fab thread alive! :smashin:

Last edited:

Wilseus

Novice Member
Hmm, interestingly I don't think the port on mine is flared on the inside end as it is in your photo and is suggested in BK's website. Have BK stopped doing this or did they forget mine I wonder?

Last edited:

Stinger69

Hmm, interestingly I don't think the port on mine is flared on the inside end as it is in your photo and is suggested in BK's website. Have BK stopped doing this or did they forget mine I wonder?
I don't know, maybe the port is slightly different on the plus version?
Most speakers that have been in production as long as the mono will undergo minor changes in design over time. They might be using a different supplier for the port for instance.

I wouldn't worry though, I'm sure it sounds wonderful!

Last edited:

Daz1969

Here is my Mono DF+ in light oak next to 1 of my CM8's. I'll be selling this mono soon as my new units and floating wall dictate a gloss black one :)

TopMeTom

Banned
Daz1969 said:
Here is my Mono DF+ in light oak next to 1 of my CM8's. I'll be selling this mono soon as my new units and floating wall dictate a gloss black one :)
Let me know when, i fancy another one!

dr no

Plenty of wanted threads for these much sought after B&K subs!
I've also gone for a gloss black.

Looking at all these set ups with exposed drivers, open placement etc. takes me back to the days before my young children. Now its a case of what has to be hidden or protected or passes the other half's critique etc. :p

Daz1969

Plenty of wanted threads for these much sought after B&K subs!
I've also gone for a gloss black.

Looking at all these set ups with exposed drivers, open placement etc. takes me back to the days before my young children. Now its a case of what has to be hidden or protected or passes the other half's critique etc. :p
My other half is so laid back it's great. I showed her a pic of a SVS pb13 ultra and she said that looks nice lol. As long as the sofa shakes she's happy and no kids here either :thumbsup:

dr no

Daz1969 said:
My other half is so laid back it's great. I showed her a pic of a SVS pb13 ultra and she said that looks nice lol. As long as the sofa shakes she's happy :thumbsup:
You're lucky man ;)
I was surprisingly lucky to get away with the Monolith's size. She also likes good bass in movies.

dr no

Molliwopp said:
Well get some picture up then! Lets have a look.
Haven't got it yet!
Order confirmed only today.
Get it late next week if I am lucky.

D

Deleted member 598831

My xxls 400 in dark walnut with a nice 400x400 black granite slab, curved edges to match the profile of the sub. (£10 from the company that fitted a mates kitchen:thumbsup:) Glass is 6mm safety glass with profiled edges and a slight rebate to match the angles at the top of the sub. £14

Well chuffed with the 400 and anti mode, now realise the difference between my previous ported, distorted, and boomy sub. :smashin:

Steve

Attachments

dr no

My xxls 400 in dark walnut with a nice 400x400 black granite slab, curved edges to match the profile of the sub. (£10 from the company that fitted a mates kitchen:thumbsup:) Glass is 6mm safety glass with profiled edges and a slight rebate to match the angles at the top of the sub. £14

Well chuffed with the 400 and anti mode, now realise the difference between my previous ported, distorted, and boomy sub. :smashin:

Steve
That glass top looks really good.:smashin:

D

Deleted member 598831

Just needs a few of the little things you get on drinks coasters to stop the glass moving/rattling/marking sub, so far no rattles!

I got 4x8.6x2.5mm 3M bumpons to stop the glass vibrating, does a good job

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 598831

Thanks for that, got some from the glass place. Only went for the 8.6x2.5mm, can hardly see them, but thet do the job.