1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture switching

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by RossC, Jun 16, 2003.

1. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Quick (and probably simple) question:

If I was using a Freeview box with scart outputs, how do you connect it to an AV amp (that has no scart input) and then to a plasma (component, s, vga, composite) to allow for picture switching, while not degrading the picture to composite level?

Appologies if this is in the wrong forum - feel free to move it!

Thanks

2. frogfriendly

frogfriendly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a scart switch box. Can get them anywhere, maplin etc.
    The switch box has 3 scart inputs and audio output phono connections as well as scart (if that what you meen) and I use a scart to RGB cable to the plasma. RGB+sync on video.

The input to the switch box can then be anything you like. I've got an NTL cable box , free view satellite box, Panny SC-DT300 surround and TH-37PW5B

3. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you want to route component via your amplifier from Freeview then you're going to have to convert the SCART RGB output to component video. Therefore, you do require an RGB to Component (YUV) converter.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

4. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah... thanks John - that was the missing link in my mind - how to convert the RGB output to something the amp could accept and then output to the screen. Wasn't sure if RGB could be converted to component. Assume the quality is ok - of the signal that is, not the convertor!

Now I just need to fix the random lip sync issues...

5. waynec

waynec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On this subject, I'm about to buy a 3803 and a panny plasma. I will be connecting my Sky+ and DVD player to the 3803. I know I want a component connection from my 3803 to my panny but how should I connect my other stuff?
    As the 3803 only does an up convert from composite and S-video to component, would the picture quality on the plasma be good enough if I connect Sky+ and my DVD player to the 3803 using S-video and using upconvert to component?
    Will there be any difference in PQ if I bought a Dr Sim RGB converter to component and the connected this to the 3803? If this is the case why I am buying a 3803 which can do the up convert?

Thanks for any replies

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    waynec

The Denon AVR-3803 is not a magician - it is a heck of a powerful AV amp for the money and the up-conversion from Composite and S-Video should be looked upon as a convenience feature only

If your Digibox or any other source has RGB out on SCART its best to convert this to YUV via a JS box and input that into the YUV input on the AVR-3803.

If you feed the Composite or S-Video signal from the same source into the AVR-3803 then yes the amp can up-convert these signals TYPES to YUV but it cant make back the information that is lost when the RGB signal in the Digibox is DOWN converted to Composite or S-video by the Digibox.

The AVR-3803 sounds good, is a competent video switch and has a video audio delay should you have any lip sync issues.

Best regards

Joe