1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture smearing on Saving Private Ryan

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by NinjaKi11a, Sep 24, 2004.

1. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While testing my new sub, I noticed occasionally streaky colours (especially with flames) and an intermittant white smear in the bottom right of the picture during the first beach scene of Saving Private Ryan (Region 1). At first I assumed this was another dodgey DVD from eBay, but then I went and checked the .avi of the same film that I downloaded a while ago and this has the same effects. Has anyone else noticed this? Perhaps it's supposed to be like that, but I can't figure out what the director was trying to achieve.

I wanted to post pictures, but oddly Ctrl + Print Scrn will not capture an image playing on Windows Media Player.

2. Strangerer

Strangerer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the effect was supposed to be like a movie camera following the action with slight lens smear.Could be wrong.

3. skanky

skanky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep its meant to be like that.

4. podium73

podium73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have also noticed these colour smears when recently watching the film (pioneer 565)but cannot remember if they appeared on my previous watching ("trusty" toshiba 210e) surely it must be intentional. Though I honestly think the film plays better on a 50hz tv.....

5. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This effect was intentional and caused by the lenses being stripped, as explained by Janusz Kaminski, the cinematographer:

source

To allow screen captures in WMP go to tools > options > performance and change video acceleration to 'none'.

Adam

6. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I think it looks pretty crap - it was really irritating me when I saw it!

Thanks a lot for the help though. :thumbsup: