Picture size is "wrong" from Ebox

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mike261272, Apr 26, 2005.

1. mike261272

mike261272

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I realise there will be a logical answer to this but want to understand what is going on.

On the ebox it comes with built in digital tuners. When I am playing Sky news, ITV news etc the screen is filled to all edges.

However when I watch BBC news the top and bottom of the screen are black. More annoyingly, whenever it skips to a report on the news, you now get the thick vertical black lines as well.

I expect it is to do with the signal being sent, but my DEC 2000 freeview box never did this and it is very annoying. Is there any hardware or software I can put in place to circumvent this and translate the screen to its "correct" size regardless of channel. Also, from a technical perspective, what is causing this ?

All help really appreciated,

Mike

2. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    What aspect is yor monitor?

3. mike261272

mike261272

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not totally sure of the answer to this without checking tonight. I know the screen res of windows is 1024 by 768. I have the monitor set on "Full" rather than Zoom. its a Hitatchi 42pd5100. I will find out the aspect ratio tonight.

Thanks for this.

Mike

4. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    The res is 4:3 so I will assume that that is the aspect of your monitor.

What is happening is that, where you get the full screen the program / channel is in 4:3 and where you get the horozontal bars its in wide screen 16:9 if you did not have the bars either the picture would be hidiously streched or the edges would have to be cut off.

5. mike261272

mike261272

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John. Is there a reason why a freeview box (DEC 2000) which used SCART, not RGB and didnt go via the computer would have been able to render the image so it filled the screen each time, or do i need to look at my monitor settings rather than computer settings ?

Thanks

Mike

6. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Believe it or not you do not want to fill the screen if you do things will look horrible.

The PC Knows what the ratio is and displays it correctly.

There may be settings on the STB to tell it what aspect the monitor is in and how to display it, but I'm not sure if MCE "works out" aspect ratio or gets it from the guide if it gets it from the guide then changing settings on the STB may gust compound the problem.

On WS TVs there are "zoom" settings that deal with 4:3 material (these settings are also bult into MCE. On TVs these are just for WS dealing with 4:3, I'm not sure about the MCE setting as my displays are all WS so the options do not fit a 3:4 setup it is possible the MCE is intelligent enough to give different options depending on the display connected.

So Try

watching a program that has the bars

Press "i"

toggle down to "zoom"

Press "OK"

Press "OK" again untill you get a picture you like