1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture Settings - Toshiba TVs

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by mrsingh, Sep 20, 2001.

1. mrsingh

mrsingh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a Toshiba 28Z07B widescreen TV and can't decide on the picture settings, specifically the brightness. My current setting are:

Contrast 85<br />Brightness 20<br />Colour 50<br />Sharpness -15

I would be interested in hearing what picture settings other Toshiba TV owners have, especially if they own the same model as me.

I have set the brightness setting so low because I trying to achieve deep blacks in the picture. This is because I'm always reading in DVD reviews how important the black levels are.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like you need to buy yourself the Video Essentials DVD which helps you set up the TV with the correct settings to get the blacks, contrast, colour and so on right.

Easydvd in Australia have it for about £15 delivered<br /><a href="http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/2469" target="_blank">Ezydvd Video Essentials</a>

[ 20-09-2001: Message edited by: OG ]</p>

3. Zam

Zam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have the same TV + video essentials.<br />Think you need to turn the contrast down and the brightness up to prevent something called blooming.<br />But It all depends on the light in your room as to whats best for you.

Mine is set to:

Contrast 30<br />Brightness 55<br />colour 50<br />Sharpness -20

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before you make any changes based on other peoples setups, you have to consider things like daylight shining on the tv & degree of lighting in room which will impact on your settings.

However, your contrast settings seem way to high and your brightness too low.

Mack's settings appear similar to what you see for most Tosh owners.

[ 21-09-2001: Message edited by: Doubledoom ]</p>

5. mrsingh

mrsingh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only ever adjust the picture settings on my TV during late evening hours and with the lights turned off (these are my normal viewing conditions when watching DVDs). I don’t own a Video Essentials disc but I’ve read that it’s not completely effective for PAL pictures anyway as its designed for NTSC.

Mack,

Since you have exactly the same TV as me and own the Video Essentials disc, I’m very interested in your set-up. I would be grateful if you could help me with the following questions:

1) What are your normal viewing conditions when watching DVDs (ie. time of day and internal lighting conditions)?

2) With your contrast setting being so low, don’t you find your picture to be a bit dull and lifeless?

3) With your relatively high brightness setting, don’t you find that the blacks in your picture look a bit faded and aren’t truly black? I’m always reading in various DVD reviews about the importance of black levels.

4) Are you basically happy with your current picture settings having calibrated the TV with the Video Essentials disc?

5) This might sound like a stupid question, but would you describe yourself as a home cinema expert? I expect that you are since you own a Video Essentials disc and are a member of this forum, but I need to be sure. I don’t want to be messing around with my TV’s picture settings based on the advice of someone who is relatively new to home cinema.

Any help would be much appreciated!

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    mrsingh

It really doesn't matter what other people have as settings, only for general interest.

Your contrasts seems very high.

If I take my tv to a friends house, a totally different set of settings are needed, even though it is the same actual tv. The way to do this is with Video Essentials or the Avia test disc as p suggested by the previos poster. It is the only easy way of doing it. It all depends on YOUR lighting set up, daylight, windows, lights etc.

7. mrsingh

mrsingh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered Video Essentials disc from EzyDVD.

8. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Cancel your order!

From <a href="http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents" target="_blank">The Digital Bits</a>:

9. mrsingh

mrsingh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Grubert. I've emailed EzyDVD to cancel the order.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hate to break it to you mrsingh but you might need to re-order!! New video essentials is for High definition DVD.