• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Picture settings on my PS3

bubs999

Prominent Member
Just got my PS3 and connected it up to my HD TV. The TV is a Samsung 19" model and capable of 720p resolution. I have it connected with an HDMI cable, however the picture is very poor.

I have started COD 4 and the picture is no where near as good as my XBox 360 was over a VGA cable. The edges are jagged and the colours just don't look right. It actually looks like a PS2 game.

Can anyone help with some suggestions on the settings within in the PS3 as its all new to me :confused:

cols

Prominent Member
Is it the same tv you had the xbox hooked up to or a new one? I ask because perhaps it's the tv's picture settings that are at fault...

It would be worth calibrating with the test screens from a thx dvd. It sounds like your sharpness may be up too high.

As for the ps3 settings, if you've gone through and set its video output up, what is it giving out in cod4? My tv is native 720p but as it supports 1080i in cod4 it would output 1080i. I had to uncheck that from the list to stop it doing that as i prefer it to be 720p for movies and games.
Not sure if that might help or not but give it a try.

The best settings for other options vary depending on the tv but for most hd tv's having rgb full range set to "limited" should give a better result.

bubs999

Prominent Member
Is it the same tv you had the xbox hooked up to or a new one? I ask because perhaps it's the tv's picture settings that are at fault...

It would be worth calibrating with the test screens from a thx dvd. It sounds like your sharpness may be up too high.

As for the ps3 settings, if you've gone through and set its video output up, what is it giving out in cod4? My tv is native 720p but as it supports 1080i in cod4 it would output 1080i. I had to uncheck that from the list to stop it doing that as i prefer it to be 720p for movies and games.
Not sure if that might help or not but give it a try.

The best settings for other options vary depending on the tv but for most hd tv's having rgb full range set to "limited" should give a better result.

Its the same TV, just using an HDMI connection instead. I have got it to look better now, but adjusting the settings on the actual TV. Its a Samsung LE19R88BD so not an amazing one, but the only HD Tv we have at the moment.

It will only go to 720p on HDMI and I think max resolution is 1440 x 900

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom