1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture settings for gaming

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by mobily, Jul 27, 2004.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all,

I have posted another thread on here reharding the best way to connect my playstation to the television and I now have another question for you like minded AV addicts.

What do you think is the best picture settings to play game with? At the moment I have the following settings out of 100

Contrast - 70
    Brightness - 50
    Colour - 50
    Sharpness - 50

I've had this setting since I bought my tv about 5 months ago and thought it was the best picture for watching dvd's and tv. However whilst playing my playstation I find that the picture is a little dark. I hate fiddling with my settings when I find the one I like as I end up fiddling with them for ages but does anyone else have different settings for gaming and watching tv?

I did read in what hi-fi sound and vision that the best settings are to have brightness at about 30% and contrast at about 70% but I found that far too dark.

I was thinking maybe when I purchase a better lead to connection my playstation to the s-video port then the picture may also not look quite as 'dull'.

Any thoughts that anyone has would be gratefully received.

James :)

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    S video or rgb will give a better piture quality but might not help much with the picture looking dark.
    I have my tv set up using the digital video essentials dvd. It gives you a guide for correct contrast and sharpness and brightness ect. unfortunatly these settings are desiigned for film and tv images and dont have gamming in mind. I have my playsation 2 connected via an s-video lead . It gives a great picture but does still look a little dark with the settings I use for dvd and tv.

3. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    On my panny plasma i jst use the cinema setting and it looks pretty perfect with that.

4. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What connection method are you using atm? That will have a big impact on what settings you should use

I use RGB, and my settings are roughly:

Brightness - 40
    Contrast - 65
    Colour - 50
    Sharpness - 0
    Tint (NTSC only) - 0

5. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +767
    S-Viseo using the official Sony leads.

I was using a pretty decent SCART lead through RGB onto a 32" Sony Wega and found the the lap times displayed on GT3 were barely readable - With the S-Video lead the crystal clear.

My TV has a specific Game mode but I've never taken much notice of what the settings are.

6. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There must be something wrong here. On a normal CRT TV, RGB should almost always be a big improvement over S-Video. It is much closer to the hardware (TV uses Red, Green, Blue guns), and also has a higher bandwidth. I also have a Sony 32" Wega, and any RGB connection is a very noticeable improvement over S-Video, which in turn is a noticeable improvement over Composite. Not all SCART sockets accept an RGB signal. If you plug an RGB enabled SCART lead into a socket that does not accept it (possibly one intended for S-Video), the TV will automaticaly drop down to the SCART lowest common denominator - Composite. On my TV, only SCART 1 is wired for RGB , the other 2 are S-Video. All 3 will drop back to composite. It sounds like what you thought was an RGB signal was actualy composite. If not, then you have a serious problem with either the TV, the RGB scart lead, or the PS2!

7. Irons

Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have different settings for watching DVDs and playing games stored on my telly, I used the THX optimiser on Attack Of The Clones on my PS2 and found the DVD settings too dark so I adjusted another setting to suit and stored them. Seems to work a treat.

I would think RGB should be superior to S-Video from all I read, I have my PS2 and Xbox connected via component so I can't comment on S-Video but I noticed an improvement on the sharpness of the text as soon as I switched from RGB to component. I play a lot of Final Fantasy XI on my U.S PS2 where text is constantly scrolling during battles etc so I definately appreciate the improvement :thumbsup: .

A dodgy RGB cable? I've heard there are some shockingly bad RGB cables available