1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture ratio switching connection for Sony VPL-ES2 lcd projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by twins4384, Apr 23, 2005.

1. twins4384

twins4384

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’ve just started using a Sony VPL-ES2 lcd projector. This is connected to a Sky+ box using the video signal only from the output SCART socket on the Sky+ to a Phono plug into the video input on the projector. The sound channels are via the optical digital output from the Sky+ unit to my AV amp.

Using this method I loose the auto switching for picture ratios that I had when feeding a Toshiba tv from the Sky+ box. Is there a way that the Sky+ box can be connected to the Sony ES2 that can give me auto switching between 4:3 and 16:9 ratios? Would using the SVideo connection give me the desired switching? Having to keep using the Menu on the projector to manually change the ratios is quite a pain.

Any help, much appreciated.

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,252
    AFAIK the only input that contains a dedicated switching is SCART. If your Sky+ can output RGB SCART (of course it can) and your PJ can accept it then that would work.

I use RGB SCART to my PJ but it only feeds R+B+G+synch from composite into the component so the switching pin (9?) isn't connected. Thankfully my PJ remote has a aspect mode button like my TV so it's not that big a deal to me.

There is a flag on a part of the video signal (line 23?) that can trigger switching but support on TVs is limited and I've not heard of it on PJs.

Certainly s-video will not give you switching if composite doesn't - but it would be a better picture.