1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture Quality

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mobily, Jul 11, 2005.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey all,

I own the pioneer dbrtf-100 freeview box and a toshiba 28zd26b television. The tv is essentially a 100hz model however this can be downgraded to 50hz by selecting the 'progessive scan' option in the settings. After trying the other picture settings the progressive one by far gives the better picture quality.

However I was at my dads house the other week and he has a JVC 50hz tv and the picture quality seemed to be much superior to mine, the same can also be said for other people who have a 50hz set and a freeview box. My picture is good don't get me wrong but there is a fair bit of digital boxing and the image isn't as clear as my dads.

I was wondering whether a 100hz television provides a picture which for want of a better phrase 'is too digital'. The freeview box is connected using a good quality scart to the RGB connection on the tv with rgb selected in the freeview options. If I select 'natural, 100hz or active' in the picture settings there is even more digital boxing.

What are other peoples thoughts who have a 100hz television.... is a 50hz a better option? Also do the more modern sets such as plasmas and LCD's provide a 100hz or a 50hz picture?

I would be interested to read other peoples opinions. I realise that picture quality is subjective and what looks good to one person may look poor to another. However my picture doesn't seem to have that crystal clarity that should come with digital transmissions. I know the bitrate that the channel transmits in may be low but the comparison I have made is of the two same channels. My dad even has a cheapie freeview box from Asda!

Cheers :)

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    There's pro's and con's for 100Hz TV's. They work by feeding each picture frame into a memory store, then reading it out twice, to give the impression of 100Hz. The problem is that storing a TV frame takes quite a bit of memory, and TV manufacturers often cut corners with quality to save on the memory needed. I've seen good 100Hz TV's and bad 100Hz TV's, and I have to say that I've seen more bad than good.

You don't have to worry about 100Hz with LCD or plasma. Because the picture is displayed in a completely different way, you won't ever see any flicker.

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well it looks superb on my top end 50Hz TV

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    To follow on from Nick's comments above, one of the things that can make or break a 100Hz TV is the A/D and D/A conversion. The incoming analogue signal has to be converted to digital for processing, read into memory, read out of memory, and then converted back to analogue for display. It's this process that can really make a diffference. IMHO it's really only on the very latest designs that are getting even close to doing a decent job here. All sets that claim to be able to switch between 50Hz and 100Hz still pass the signal through these convertors in 50Hz mode. That's why, even in "50hz" mode, they still don't look like a real 50Hz set.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    My friend has a 28" Toshiba 100Hz WS set, and it is truly appalling ! There's about 10 steps in the grey scale, there's no proper blacks, and there's a definite lack of detail. I think I'd rather have 50Hz flicker than that :)

6. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the help guys. I think I tend to agree that 100hz sets seem to be more bad than good. In future when purchasing a crt set I would choose a 50hz set and put up with the flicker (that I can't notice anyway).

The Toshiba set I have does receive favourable reviews and it is an excellent television... especially when watching dvds through the component connection. However I would expect a better quality picture when feeding a digital signal through the rgb connection.