Picture quality

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by IainG, Oct 11, 2001.

1. IainG

IainG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone out there explain why I get beams of light from faces or sharp objects on dark scenes. Al Pacino is particulary bad in HEAT.

DVD is Pioneer 535
    TV is Sony w/s :confused:

2. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this is called Harmonic Streaking (or something like that) it is a curse of Sony TVs. I've got a 41 inch rear proj set and it is noticable in dark scenes.

Dont know the full reasons but essentially you get used to it. Strangely enough I was expecting the R1 Apollo 13 to be a nightmare with this - ie stars on a black background, but to my surprise this was fine.

Yet as you say - faces in darkness - big problems. So I married an Axe Murderer was pretty bad on this as well.

Anyone else out there with similar probs or a possible fix?

Is it just Sony?

3. IainG

IainG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Duncan, my mate has the same TV as me but hasn't noticed it. It doesn't happen when watching cable films (digital) so is it something to do with the signal from the DVD?

HEAT seems to be particulary bad, Blade and and X-men were far better. Newer films perhaps?

Cheers

4. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    might be talking rubbish here but it may be down also to excessive edge enhancement on the DVD transfers.

any experts out there who can clarify?

5. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just for info.I had a Sony kp41 which suffered from horizontal smearing,though it was small and certainly not as bad as some members were experiencing.
    I was led to believe it was software and r/p tv glitch.However my new kp44 has none whatsoever,so its not inherent in the design.

6. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    You don't say if you using S video connection? There is much less processing in the TV if you use an RGB connection.

7. IainG

IainG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cliff, I'm using RGB scart from DVD to TV...

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: IainG ]

8. Mr Plumbs

Mr Plumbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had exactly the same prob with a Philips widescreen tv - using s-video and RGB connections. I also noticed it on analogue TV broadcasts aswell. So to me, it seems like a fault with the set. Finaly got mine swapped, but that took over 6 months of before the shop accepted that it was faulty! But then that was all in Febuary and they STILL haven't picked up the Philips!