Picture quality with HD box

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by colin45, Aug 3, 2006.

1. colin45

colin45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been off line with Sky for a few days and had to use Digital and I was surprised to find that the PQ. was much better than with my Sky HD box. I had never noticed this with my old box and taking into account my PQ. is better with HDMI I am beginning to wonder if these HD boxes are very good

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    What do you mean by "digital"?

If you mean Freeview then it's no secret that broadcasters like the BBC, ITV in particular provide higher resolution and higher bitrates on DTT compared to Dsat. Ch4 on the whole is perhaps also better on DTT with only Five being better on Dsat, can't really comment on the other channels that are on both DTT and Dsat.

There is not a lot a HD STB can do with a poor standard definition broadcast even with it's internal scaling to 720p/1080i or even simple de-interlacing to 576p. A poor source tends to always give poor results especially when applying huge amounts of digital processing within the HD box and the using the clean digital connection to feed a HD display.
    Watching DTT (via scart or integrated) may indeed look better than via the HD box simply due to the reduced proccessing of the original source material.

3. colin45

colin45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks I think I understand what you are saying. It helps me make a decision about Multi-room. I have been complaining to Sky about the inferior PQ. using a TV Link since having HD installed and was going to have Multi-room with another HD box, but due to the lack of HD material at night I might just put my old Sky Plus box upstairs and hopefully end up with as good a PQ. as I had before which was very good before the HD box was installed

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I would be tempted to go with a SD box for now, there isn't really enough HD to justify the cost (well for me anyway:) ) and in a year or so prices for hardware may start to come down and go hand in hand with more content.

No complaints with the PQ over the TVlink, once the tuning is spot on the picture is as good as you would expect from a RF analogue connection.

5. colin45

colin45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fortunately for me the price is not that important but I think that the SD will be good enough for me at the moment. I am hoping that a better box may come out in the near future or if a lot more content becomes available I will go for a 2nd HD then but thanks again for the advice